CR123a Delrin Waterproof Spare Battery Carrier

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can't find them at Wally World for $1.00, it means they're sold out at that particular location for now. Ironically, I have seen that happen before. Would like to say that it's because more and more folks are enjoying camping or are preparing for emergencies . . .

Truth is, drug dealers love those match-cases since it's a great way for them to store the rocks they sell.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I went by WallyWorld yesterday and they had the 'Coleman' version, which seems to be slightly taller than the Coghlan, with a few more millimeters of clearance, but pretty much identical. The Colemans are $1.00 and they come with about 40 smaller, waterproof matches and a striker sheet inside a little ziplock baggie, which is curled up and does a nice job of quieting the batteries inside.

Picked up 4 and might buy a few more, just to have. I'm even able to get sparks out of the flints!

Chris

allyourblood

Newly Enlightened
I know it was mentioned earlier, but I think it bears repeating that endtimesreport has very reasonable shipping compared to County Comm. I have considered ordering from County Comm on several occasions and the $10 shipping (plus tax in California) for small orders is just out of the question. ETR typically ships via First Class for small orders and no tax for CA residents, totaling about $4 for orders weighing under 13 oz. And yes, they carry the Delrin containers. The only downside to the site is that they're missing many items that only County Comm seems to carry (at least, in the US).

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip about endtimesreport. I ordered two CR123 carriers from them and they quickly arrived today. They're a really cool, SAFE way to carry a spare battery and they weigh very little. The weight was the main issue I had with the aluminum pill fobs. These delrin cases are a little bulky, but they feel super tough. Im very satisfied.

Aviw

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying these carriers for a while and they are the most durable battery containers that I've come across. Short of a gunshot, I can't think of a way to destroy one.

I've tried various solutions; Keep2Go tubes, those transparent plastic battery cases, aluminium pill fobs, etc., and found the Delrin cases to be the best. The Keep2Go tube cracked within a week of getting it, the plastic case ripped itself apart, and aluminium fobs were heavy and uncomfortable.

Also, the fact that you there is a hole on the lid so you can daisy chain them together using something like an A&P keyring means that it's modular, as well. I'm currently carrying 2xCR123A, 2xRCR123A, 1xAA and 1xAAA on an A&P keyring, and when I think that I won't need to carry a particular spare, I just take the case out of the loop. If I need to carry more spares, I just put more on the keyring.

Another good thing is that these are quite light and don't have sharp edges to make carrying uncomfortable.

I wish they had cases that will fit 17670 and 18650, but I can live without 'em.

I just received the AA and AAA sized Delrin capsule today, love the size and they do seem quite durable and watertight. I plan on using them as both battery carriers and pill fobs. Only problem is, when I opened them up this afternoon, they stank!:sick2: :green:Smelled like they had previously contained rotting sardines. I'm going to try to clean them tonight with a mild bleach solution, I hope that does the trick.

MattSPL

Enlightened
Mine stink too. I'm guessing it's the smell of the Delrin from the machining process. It has burnt plastic smell about it, except worse :)

Glock 22

Enlightened
The smell is from the batteries, because they are air tight in the carrier. I've had mine a couple of months, and I keep a CR123A in it, and ever so often I take the battery out of it so it can air out.

MattSPL

Enlightened
I know what you mean about the smell from the batteries, i opened up a light for the first time in a couple of years, it had a pair of cr123's in it, and the smell was very potent. And i have a little organizer for all my cr123's and bits and pieces. That has a smell from it too.

There is also a smell off the Delrin that was there when new before i put any batteries into the carrier.

Glock 22

Enlightened
There is also a smell off the Delrin that was there when new before i put any batteries into the carrier.

O.K. I see what you mean, I never paid any attention to mine when I first got it. I just put a battery in it and started carrying it. It's in my pocket eveyday. I've dropped it more than once. It's been in my pocket with keys, a pocket knife, and it's a tough little setup.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Never noticed a smell from my AAA version of the same battery-carrier. Hopefully the smell dissipates soon after getting it.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
are yall putting Titanium Innovations cells in your delrin holders? i think i've noticed the Titanium Innovations brand CR123s are especially funky

Illum

Flashaholic
The smell is from the batteries, because they are air tight in the carrier. I've had mine a couple of months, and I keep a CR123A in it, and ever so often I take the battery out of it so it can air out.

thats coined "flashahol" here, it has a sweet pineapple like smell... the smell out of these delrin holders resembles some sort of coolant, not like burnt plastic. To test its reactivity as well as to improve the smell, I coated the inside of the container [not the cap] with Hoppes #9, then wiped with a dry cloth, smells wonderful now

Glock 22

Enlightened
I do have some Titanium CR123s and I have to agree they are funky.

are yall putting Titanium Innovations cells in your delrin holders? i think i've noticed the Titanium Innovations brand CR123s are especially funky

thats coined "flashahol" here, it has a sweet pineapple like smell... the smell out of these delrin holders resembles some sort of coolant, not like burnt plastic. To test its reactivity as well as to improve the smell, I coated the inside of the container [not the cap] with Hoppes #9, then wiped with a dry cloth, smells wonderful now

I'm just used to the smell of Lithium Batteries. I've got so many it ain't even funny:D. I never really paid any attention when I got the carrier, I just started using it. That's sound like a really good idea, I do have some Hoppes #9. I may give it a try. But the smell of Lithium Batteries don't bother me at all. Like you said it's indeed 100% Flashahol. It's what gets our blood pumping:crazy:.

Glock 22

Enlightened
Oveready is getting ready to put some different Delrin Carriers up for sale in the next little bit. I know for sure they will have them to fit three different sizes of batteries. I would say they will be up for sale when the next Oveready Insider come out.

MattSPL

Enlightened
Oveready is getting ready to put some different Delrin Carriers up for sale in the next little bit. I know for sure they will have them to fit three different sizes of batteries. I would say they will be up for sale when the next Oveready Insider come out.

Thanks for the info, sounds interesting :)

Glock 22

Enlightened
I've got one on the way to fit a CR123a when I get it, I'll post a pic of it.