Cree A19 9.5w 60w 800lm 2700K for $13.97

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I used the Cree PCT to play with different XP-E bins before my original post. At 90% efficiency for both Power and Optical, using 20 LEDs, I needed to select one of the highest XP-E bins to arrive at the bulb's posted specs. I do agree with you that the public LED prices on any suppliers web site are nowhere near the actual cost of the product. If I remember correctly, Cree's average product margins ran into the mid 40s before the drop to the 30s last year.
Actually, my calculations were based on using XT-Es, not XP-Es. I fixed the typo in my post. XP-Es are inherently much more costly than XT-Es. You can definitely get the worst bin XT-Es for slightly under $1 in bulk (5000s). We're obviously dealing with much larger quantities here, and Cree avoids two sets of middlemen, themselves and the distributor, which would increase the costs for anyone else making a lamp like this.

Thinking about the price, a possibility is both Cree and Home Depot might be selling the lamp at cost just to undercut everyone else. Or perhaps Cree is using the sales of bare LEDs to cover for short-term losses in the A19 retrofit market. Either one might actually be a smart business strategy. By the time everyone else loses a significant market share, Cree's production costs will have dropped so that it might make a good profit even lowering the retail price to $10 because it has volume on its side. There will be plenty of niche markets for A19 lamps with high CRI, or CCTs other than 2700K or 5000K, for the other manufacturers. Cree seems to be interested mainly in the high-volume products.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
Looking at the phosphor coating looks definitely XTE. The size is certainly right as well.

I expect that estimation of $0.25 for manufacturing cost could even be a bit high. I would have gone more for $0.20 given the selling cost for low bins.

The glass envelope is likely done for cost / efficiency. It is much easier to make a low cost highly efficient (light transfer) diffused glass surface versus plastic ... done in the billions already with a well established manufacturing base.

Semiman

jd_oc

Newly Enlightened
I just bought 10 Philips L-Prize bulbs when I found out they were on sale for $15/each at HD. Now I see why they are on sale. Still, I think the L-Prize bulbs are a better deal (higher efficiency, more lumens, and higher CRI) at basically the same price. Anyway, the competition is great for the consumer.

BigRiz

Newly Enlightened
it's great to see good LED bulbs getting lower in price..

now if only they get these to Europe which is currently lagging waaay behind in LED retrofits.

SemiMan

Banned
I applaud Cree for manufacturing in the U.S. even if mainly final assembly (and die manufacturing).

Marcturus

Enlightened
it's great to see good LED bulbs getting lower in price..

now if only they get these to Europe which is currently lagging waaay behind in LED retrofits.
It seems as if Cree, and their architecturally minded partner, Zumtobelgroup, haven't put much effort into entering the European consumer retail markets. We'll see where this partership, and where the recently sold-off LEDON are headed.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The heat sink looks way too small for the 60 watt replacements. How much heat is going to be rejected to the socket.
Maybe they think the internal air circulation will transfer some of the heat to the glass envelope.
They really need to offer something between 2700 & 5000K.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The heat sink looks way too small for the 60 watt replacements. How much heat is going to be rejected to the socket.
Probably on the order of 7 watts. I'm figuring about 320 lm/W for the emitted light, so 800/320 = 2.5 watts comes out as light energy. Since you have 9.5 watts going in, the balance (7 W) comes out as heat. Most of that needs to be dissipated in the heat sink, except for maybe < 0.5 watts of optical losses. Yes, the heat sink seems a little on the small side. What's favorable is the low level the LEDs are being driven at. With ~5°C/W junction to heatsink impedance, the junction temps are probably within 1 degree C of the heat sink temp. The heat sink looks big enough to remain under 85°C under most operating conditions with a ~7W load.

Agreed. Based on what I'm seeing at my local Home Depot, 3500K and 4100K seem to be the biggest sellers.

Last edited:

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
IMG_20130306_235943_zps7dcd2e0e.jpg

IMG_20130307_000021_zps146f7fb3.jpg

IMG_20130307_000046_zps8bb9eece.jpg

IMG_20130307_000233_zps1f4bcff2.jpg

And compared to the Best Buy Insignia bulb:
IMG_20130307_000303_zps8563218a.jpg

SemiMan

Banned
Maybe they think the internal air circulation will transfer some of the heat to the glass envelope.

That is certainly another advantage over a plastic dome. The glass envelope should contribute to heat transfer for both internal air circulation as well as direct transfer at the base into the glass.

Semiman

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I will need to check the local Home Despot for these. See that they're being sold on their site in 6-packs - really just want to buy one or two.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked two different Home Depots in my area but both don't have any in stock yet. A person at one of the stores told me that they would not be available until the 20th.

Seeing that they're being sold on their site in 6-packs - really just want to buy one or two.

On their website listing, I noticed that there is a pull-down menu that says "Number In Package" and has either 1 or 6 as the choices. Switch it to 1 and the price and title on the page will change to reflect single bulbs. \

BTW, for those who have already gotten one, does the package say anything about using/not using them in totally enclosed fixtures ?

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
I checked two different Home Depots in my area but both don't have any in stock yet. A person at one of the stores told me that they would not be available until the 20th.

On their website listing, I noticed that there is a pull-down menu that says "Number In Package" and has either 1 or 6 as the choices. Switch it to 1 and the price and title on the page will change to reflect single bulbs. \

BTW, for those who have already gotten one, does the package say anything about using/not using them in totally enclosed fixtures ?

Nope, so i assume you can. I think the only people with them so far are Cree employees.

gajslk

Newly Enlightened
I question whether using glass is a good design decision here. One of the selling points of LED bulbs is that they're unbreakable.

Really? The last time I broke a bulb by accident was 40 years ago and I was going after the glass itself, separating it from the base, so it wasn't exactly a typical application.

Gordon

lildave

Newly Enlightened
They look and work great. But they unsolder themselves if they get hot ( ie Jelly jar). I just replaced 30 at work.