Cree XP-G 3000k 90+ CRI vs Nichia 219 4500k 92 CRI: which one do you prefer and why?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
nope, Samsung offers only neutral and warm color 3535's.

Correct, they're not just more bright than CREE's R4 but due to smaller die size provide more throw.

I have a Samsung 3535 and its truly a cooler tint, 6000~6250+K easy.
Also, the circular emitter itself, looks minutely larger (like .2mm) than the xp-g by eye,,,,its soo fractionally close though.

The beam characteristic is like a hybrid between an xp-g & xp-e,
there is no doughnut aspect when testing a couple different reflectors.

The Samsung 3535 is a pleasant surprise to say the least..:D

edit to add pic:
I took efforts to get the emitters on the same line, because the 3535 light has a deeper reflector
(same tint filters on both)

_________________________3535^_____________________________________________________xp-g^____________________

Last edited:

kristine

Newly Enlightened
Hi I am just new in this thread. In my case, I would prefer the 219 because of it's high CRI, more lumens, and neutral tint. But I guess we all have different opinion on this.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
^

Really hope your not implying I don't know my tints or temperatures.

I compared my Samsung to my WC tint R3 xp-e ,,, the Samsung was slightly bluer.
{WC is well over 6000K}

See post #1074 http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?217252-P60-sized-led-drop-ins-(part-3)/page36&
The reason I said Anyone spare a light amber filter? is because it was very cool cool tint.
Beamshot is of the Samsung, of course.

Trust me, I wish it was more neutral out of the box, then it could have saved me putting a filter on it.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow- I just received a Malkoff m61-219 this AM and am digging the tint for sure.

Reminds of a 4A XML a bit but better.

The outer ring in the beam is only noticeable from about a foot away.

I do prefer this over the 90cri XPG although ideally the 219 could be a hair warmer.

Nichia is KILLING IT !!!
Cree & Phlatlight are going to have to step it up CRI-wise.

clg0159

Enlightened
Well, I would prefer a tint in between the two actually. If I had to choose though it would be the 3000K XP-G. It just looks better to me outdoors which is where my lights see the most use.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I would prefer a tint in between the two actually. If I had to choose though it would be the 3000K XP-G. It just looks better to me outdoors which is where my lights see the most use.

Yah I was thinking the same thing though I haven't used the 219 outside
much yet & my hiCRI xpg light is with a friend ATM.
The 219s tint is actually between a 4A & 4C XML - those are the closest I have seen to it.

My bike headlamp will soon have a triple 219 w narrow optic & 2 bare
XPG hiCRI for flood which should be the best of both!! ;)

djozz

Newly Enlightened
I modded a cheap dx 16340 light with the 219 (it runs at 700 mA), and went camping with it this weekend, and I must say: this is the most pleasant outdoor light I have ever seen. Actually, it's a whole new experience; i was ether used to the old incans, rather yellow but I never knew better, or i used the cool white led lights that kills every colour in nature. This light shows up the greens, reds and browns so vividly as I have never seen from an artificial (outdoor) light before, and still does justice to the blue colours.

Even compared to my quark mini high CRI (xpg 85+CRI, 3000k) I prefer the 219 Nichia by far!
djozz

arek98

Enlightened
IMO, unless someone particularity likes yellow tint, high CRI needs to be in 5000K-5500K range to make sense. This is about daylight CCT.

When calculating CRI result is compared to 100 CRI perfect light sources but the problem is that CCT is adjusted to CCT of light being tested. I.e., if we assume that our perfect light is 100 CRI and 5500K and tested one is 3000K then comparison is between how colors are rendered by tested 3000K light and color rendering by our perfect source AFTER ADJUSTMENT to 3000K.

This is known shortcoming of CRI and this is why newer methods are in development. One of them is CQS (Color Quality Scale).

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the nichia. 4500k is as warm as I need. I wouldn't mind warmer, but only for the warm fuzzy feel-good feeling of warm light :p

I will say that I haven't tried any of Cree's 90+CRI LEDs yet, although I still do like my Cree XR Q3 5c.

moozooh

Enlightened
Great comparison shots, they really made me appreciate the 219's marvelous peachy neutral tint. Thanks a lot! Any chance of similar shots done with Luxeon Rebels?

Pöbel

Enlightened
Absolutely awesome fotos. Many thanks for making these.

The fotos show exactly what i feel. I had a HighCRI XP-G in my EDC. It was nice, but just too yellow. I moved to a neutral instead. Now comes the Nichia. Yes, could be brighter - but the colors, the tint, this is just such a beautiful LED. I absolutely love it outdoors, the greens, the browns, the reds, grey is grey and my hand looks like a real human hand, not the hand of Hulk. AWESOME!

phips

Newly Enlightened
Yes, super great comparison Lux-RC!
Now I really need a light with a Nichia Led (perhabs Zebralight might offer a nice headlamp in the future?).
Concerning your measurements: do you think the Nichia could perform better when driven within its specifications?
(Nichia rates it up to 1.5A constant and 2A pulsed.)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the nichia, then the rebel, then the xp-g. Tint is better and "cleaner".

11dsc00412.jpg

zebra h51fc with a hi cri rebel, modded worm with a nichia 219, preon 2 hi cri xp-g.