Cree XP-G 3000k 90+ CRI vs Nichia 219 4500k 92 CRI: which one do you prefer and why?

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
Anybody measure the cri of the supposedly 90+ xpg 3000k?
That is a good question. I am assuming it is probably about 91-93 CRI. I cannot find a spectral graph for that family in the 90+ CRI version.
I know what Cree TrueWhite looks like, and the specs say that is about 92 CRI. Basically the overall color rendering is good, but the greens and reds could be a little more saturated, and the cyan coverage is not good. And of course, blue colored objects tend to be rendered a very royal blue, but that is common amongst all but the very highest CRI LEDs.

The 96CRI Oslon 4000K is no harsher on the eyes than a 90CRI 3000K LED emitter of the type used in many flashlights. After you experience the higher quality of light, you might come to prefer a higher color temperature. For me, generally the only reason I prefer lower color temperatures is because I am trying to minimize the harshness on my eyes.

More cyan-azure phosphor coverage in the spectrum means the blue spike does not need to be quite as high. The shorter blue wavelengths tend to be harsher on the eyes (in my subjective opinion).

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
BTW, After saying I could care less about Oslon (since I never see it) a flashlight turns up in the Mall with an Oslon installed. Oops. Only 120 lumen per amp though.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
BTW, After saying I could care less about Oslon (since I never see it) a flashlight turns up in the Mall with an Oslon installed. Oops. Only 120 lumen per amp though.
Not all the emitters in the Oslon SSL 150 family are super high CRI. The LCW CRDP.EC has an "83 CRI typical" rating (as the Osram product sheet phrases it, it has an "ideal balance of CRI and luminous flux").