Cree XR-E in Fenix L1/2T (vs. UWAJ, stock)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul wrote: "Are the POST #15 beamshots accurate for the L1P-XRE mod that became available at Fenix-Store today?"

Sorry - don't know.
I don't have a Cree mod'd L1P to compare.

By speculation/guessing - they may be similar - but this is a GUESS only.

The L1P circuit for a R-bin 1watt Lux1 may actually be closer for a Cree XR-E -since both LEDs are rated for 350mA current.

However beware the L1P was only spec'd for voltage range of 0.9~1.7V - so a 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable is way too high......

Note: I have editted to add the current draw readings for the respective battery types in the opening Post #1, and Post #15

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part 3 -

Using the most "obvious" battery - the common 1x Alkaline AA -

vs. Stock Fenix L1T both using 1x Alkaline AA both on High -
ACree_Stock.jpg
ACree_Stock2U.jpg

not surprisingly (like the NiMH results in Post #15) - the Cree is noticably brighter than the stock L1T with both on High.

vs. Stock Fenix L1T both using 1x Alkaline AA both on Low -
ALCree_Stock.jpg
ALCree_Stock2U.jpg

even when both are on Low the Cree is still noticably brighter -
this may not be such a good thing - as most people would like a dimmer low.
However, bear in mind this L1/2T circuit was not designed for a Cree XR-E -
and there are two ways of looking at this -
either we get pretty good brightness for about 10 hours of runtime (like the stock version) on low -
or a properly designed circuit would give us a lower output at even longer runtime -
think about the region of ~20 hours for a reasonable low output level like 1/2 this brightness?......

vs. UWAJ mod L1T both on 1x Alkaline AA both on High -
ACree_UWAJ.jpg
ACree_UWAJ2U.jpg

Remember a U-bin is about as good as a LuxIII can get currently - and the Cree is definitely brighter.

vs. UWAJ mod L1T both on 1x Alkaline AA both on Low -
ALCree_UWAJ.jpg
ALCree_UWAJ2U.jpg

Again the Cree even on low is noticably brighter - see comments above for the comparison with the stock on Low.

Control Reference Comparison -
Cree XR-E L1T with 1x Alkaline AA on High vs. Fenix P1 on primary CR123A
ACree_P1.jpg
ACree_P1U2.jpg

the Cree XR-E even on a humble common 1x AA alkaline is actually about the same - or just brighter than a Fenix P1 on a primary lithium CR123A - I think this is pretty amazing......

Cree XR-E L1T with 1x Alkaline AA on Low vs. Fenix P1 on primary CR123A
ALCree_P1.jpg
ALCree_P1U2.jpg

not surprisingly the Low is not as bright - but even the low seems not that distant from the Fenix P1 on a primary lithium CR123A -
since this is the standard L1T circuit - that's about ~10 hours regulated runtime at this level....... so a properly designed circuit could give us hopefully over ~20 hours runtime at a reasonable low level no problems......

Thinking of it with a Cree XR-E to be truly useful one should think in terms of 3 stages - High like as tested, Medium like the current "Low" with about ~10 hours regulated runtime, and a real Low regulated at about 1/2 the brightness with runtime in excess of ~20 hours......

Current Draw readings on 1x Alkaline AA -

Cree XT-E in L1/2T head -
High = 0.80A
Low = 0.22A

stock L1T
High = 0.80A
Low = 0.25A

close enough to be "identical" - so runtimes are probably going to be similar to the stock L1T.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
AlexGT wrote: "Do you think the CREE led might work with a L2P? I am so tempted to try to do the mod."

I would think yes.

Since 4sevens is selling a L1P mod'd with Cree XR-E - I would think/guess the L2P would even be better -
with maybe the possibility of being able to handle 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable battery (but please double check before doing so) -
and definitely can use the CR123 body with Primary CR123 lithium.

Please do let us know how you get on and what you have to do.....

BTW - 2x AA is the next on the agenda in this continuing comparison review -
I'll probably eventually do both -
but should I use 2x AA NiMH, or alkalines first?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if the 5 ohm resistor in the tailcap switch trick works with the L1T? Click in the resistor for a much lower low, click it back out for "medium" (low) and high is high. Doing the tailcap mod would make it a twistie but it might work for the lowest of the low fans out there.

Calina

Enlightened
As the brigtness of LEDs keeps increasing we will need more and more levels on our lights to play with. The problem is that once you go over 3 or 4 levels the twisting operation to change levels can become cumbersome. A new approach will have to be designed, like selecting the levels with a ring or having 3 levels only but programmable by the user.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
magmini from italy wrote: "how long do place to hold turned on the L1T with a 3.7 v before overheat him?"

That's a good question... and the answer is I don't know.

I think on 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable the Cree XR-E may be over the spec typical ratings - but still well under the maximums.

Looking at the Cree spec sheet they state the max forward current is 700mA and the typical Vf at 700mA is 3.75V (max Vf @ 350mA is 3.9V) -
If the 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable is direct driving the Cree - then there is 3.7V (nominal) at 580-590mA which is below the Max - but quite a bit above the "typical" 350mA.

The Cree modified head did get warm during my beamshots - but not what I would call noticably hot - it did not feel any hotter than the T- or U-bin heads - but that was just my impression - however I definitely would have noticed if the head got "hot".

So there is a danger of overheating even though the using a 3.7V Li-Ion with the Cree is still well within the maximum specs.

I know that considerable effort (both in reasearch and work) has gone into getting the Cree well heat-sinked for this particular mod, and this may well be an important point for anyone considering a Cree mod and wants to drive it with 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable.

Last edited:

magmini from italy

Newly Enlightened
but a 3.7 li ion (14500 in my case) hardly loaded it makes to measure 4.2 v of peak: those are not enough to burn the circuit in few minutes?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
magmini from italy wrote: "but a 3.7 li ion (14500 in my case) hardly loaded it makes to measure 4.2 v of peak: those are not enough to burn the circuit in few minutes?"

Not sure....

But the L1T/L2T circuit is designed to handle up to +4V.

I know that some Li-Ion cells freshly off the charger can read as high as 4.2V
(this depends on the charger - mine tend to be about 4.09V max) - but this is fairly short -
and once they are under load they do drop to close to their "nominal" voltage of 3.7 or 3.6V.

The 3 different 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable RCR123 I used did not appear to distress the Cree L1T -
and the protected and Unprotected 14500 Li-Ion rechargeable I used in the stock L1T also did not seem to distress the stock L1T LED - see -

Fenix L1T on 3.7V Li-Ion - Whoa!

However you still do this all at your own risk -
if you want to be on the safe side don't use the Li-Ion fresh off the charger -
just use the Li-Ion battery for a bit before putting it in the flashlight -
afterall they are rated at 3.7 or 3.6V and not 4.2V.....

mkphc

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the dumb question-

What's it going to take to have a P1D Cree work w/a protected 123?

i'm new to all these mods so please forgive me being green

but I'm really interested in a single 123 size 100 lumen that'll work w/a rechargeable and this seems to be the ticket!

remember Kermit said "it's not easy being green"
Thanks,
Mike

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
mkphc wrote: "What's it going to take to have a P1D Cree work w/a protected 123?"

Hopefully nothing......
Hopefully the P1D circuit will work in a similar way to most step-up and regulating circuits for single CR123 -
that is, when the input voltage (ie: battery) exceeds the intended output voltage (usually set to the Vf of the LED) - the circuit is by-passed - so in effect the light is directly driven by the 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable RCR123 battery.......

EDIT to ADD - I don't have to be hopeful on this -
according to 4sevens in this thread (Q&A section of the opening post) -

New Fenix Digital Series! P1D and P1D CE with Cree XR-E !!

QUOTE:
Q: Will P1D support RCR123a
A: Yes, it will work however, the three levels will not be regulated. Exact
behavior is yet to be reported.

UNQUOTE

=====================
The hopefully not too distant "L1D-CE" - is what this Cree XR-E mod in the L1/2T head is closest to, and this review is kind of "previewing" what a future L1D-CE is going to be like in performance for the high and medium levels.......

The beauty of the Cree XR-E mod in the L1T/L2T head is that it will accept a 1x AA, 2x AA and the Nekomane CR123 bodies - which makes it a VERY versatile and high performing light - since the L1/2T circuit coupled with the Cree XR-E can be used with 3.7V Li-Ion batteries - both the 14500 (AA size) or the RCR123.......

So hopefully the yet to be announced L1D-CE will follow the same versatility but with better regulation circuitry, therefore good runtimes for the brightness levels.....

I don't think things can get much better than that - for now......

As you see I used "hopefully" a lot in this post -

so it's a hopeful post
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts