Cree XR-E in Fenix L1/2T (vs. UWAJ, stock)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
yekim wrote: "do you have any luxV lights to compare the cree light to ?"

Sorry, no, I don't -

However you might want to look at Post #5 (link) in this thread where chevofreak estimated the Cree on 3.7V Li-Ion was almost 140lumens, and on primary CR123A was about 86lumens.

The beauty of the Cree is not just the high brightness level(s) achieved but they are at lower power consumption levels.
Cree's flux/brightness levels are rated at 350mA - which is the same as the ratings for 1watt Lux1.......

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part 4 -

On Primary CR123A (3.0V Non-rechargeable) lithium.
This means the L1T/L2T heads are on the Nekomane CR123 bodies for the L1T/L2T.

This is probably the closest "preview" for the soon to be arriving Fenix P1D-CE.

Comparisons on High using Primary CR123A

vs. stock Fenix L1T both on Primary CR123A, both on High
CCree_stock.jpg
CCree_stock2U.jpg

Not surprisingly, the Cree is noticably brighter.

vs. UWAJ mod L1/2T both on Primary CR123A, both on High
CCree_UWAJ.jpg
CCree_UWAJ2U.jpg

for now the UWAJ is about as good as one can get with a LuxIII - and the Cree is definitely and noticably brighter.

Control Reference comparison

Cree on High vs. Fenix P1 both on primary CR123A
CCree_P1.jpg
CCree_P1U2.jpg

again, not surprisingly - the Cree is noticably brighter.

Comparisons on Low -

vs. stock Fenix L1T both on Primary CR123A, both on Low
CLCree_stock.jpg
CLCree_stock2U.jpg

seems like the Cree is still proportionally brighter than the stock when both on Low (as previous results seems to show too) - this might not be such a "good thing" since people normally look at a dimmer low level - this is probably at about a typical 1watt LuxI like the L1P on alkaline.

vs. UWAJ mod L1/2T both on Primary CR123A, both on Low
CLCree_UWAJ.jpg
CLCree_UWAJ2U.jpg

follows the same pattern as previously - the Cree on low is brighter than the UWAJ also on low - see previous comments regarding brighter "low" levels.

Control Reference comparison

Cree on Low vs. Fenix P1 both on primary CR123A
CLCree_P1.jpg
CLCree_P1U2.jpg

Cree on Low is not as bright as the P1 - but it is not that far behind.....

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
try to cut down the exposure a bit, those shots are great to compare sidespill but spots are totally blown out.. cant tell which is brighter.

great job tho :)

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 wrote: "try to cut down the exposure a bit, those shots are great to compare sidespill but spots are totally blown out.. cant tell which is brighter."

Thanks for the advice.....

That is why there are TWO beamshots in each comparison set.

The first is the "optimized" exposure to compare the characteristics of the beams.

The second marked "-2 Stops Underexposed" on the photos - should be closer to what you are asking for? Which to my eyes show the differences in brightness.

Last edited:

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
I'm getting a Millermods L1p modded with a Cree XR-E. I know the driver can handle being run at 3volts, Any idea if the led can handle it? I'm thinking about trying it with a 3volt lithium primary for some maximum brightness. :eek:oo:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
woodaspti wrote: "]I'm getting a Millermods L1p modded with a Cree XR-E. I know the driver can handle being run at 3volts, Any idea if the led can handle it? I'm thinking about trying it with a 3volt lithium primary for some maximum brightness.
ooo.gif
"

This is the crop from the Cree XR-E pdf Data Sheet
CreeSpecs.jpg

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
So the cree can run at 700ma at 3.75v... When the Millermods board is driven with a 3.0v doesn't it put out like 1200ma at 3.25v? I've been reading everything I can find and those are the numbers that I come up with.....but I've been wrong before. How do you figure total wattage? I'm kinda new to all of this. And I definitely appreciate any help I can get.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Total wattage is figured by multipying voltage (3.75) times amps (1.2) equals 4.5 watts. Considering that Crees generally have a low forward voltage, the constant power MillerMods regulator will overdrive the hell out of the Cree.

The solution is to get a L1P body and run the Cree at 1.7 watts (around 530mA) on a single AA NiMH cell. This will give you over 100 lumens at the LED in a much smaller size. My MM L1P runs a UWAJ LuxeonIII at 1.7 watts and I hope to send it back in for a Q2 or Q3 Cree upgrade.

woodasptim

Newly Enlightened
BentHeadTX said:
the constant power MillerMods regulator will overdrive the hell out of the Cree.
My thinking exactly, just looking for confirmation from another source. Thanks for the reply.

BentHeadTX said:
The solution is to get a L1P body and run the Cree at 1.7 watts (around 530mA) on a single AA NiMH cell. This will give you over 100 lumens at the LED in a much smaller size.
That's what I ordered. Millermods L1p modded with a Cree XR-E. Thanks to David at Fenix-Store.com for doing the mod for me. You rock.

I'll post beam shots as soon as it comes in. :popcorn:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some outdoors beamshots - please see -

"Practical" Beamshots? pt.2 (outdoors)
for more details

Cree XR-E L1T/L2T RCR123 High ................................................ Fenix P1D-CE also on RCR123 and on High
CreeL1T.jpg
FenixP1DCE.jpg

it would appear as if the new Fenix P1D-CE outdoes this Cree XR-E mod L1T/L2T with RCR123 on High -

It did not seem that way on the standard comparison beamshots - if anything, this Cree XR-E mod L1T may have been brighter.......

Fenix P1D-CE RCR123 on High vs. Cree XR-E L1T/L2T RCR123 High (note the P1D-CE is on the left)
RP1DCE_CreeL1T.jpg
RP1DCE_CreeL1T2U.jpg

I've just done the indoors Stairways shots and will post these comparisons, next ..soon....

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indoors Stairway Beamshots -
please see -

"Practical" Beamshots?

for more details and the same beamshots with many other lights.

Cree XR-E L1T/L2T RCR123 High .......................... Fenix P1D-CE RCR123 High
Stairs_CreeRCR123prot.jpg
Stairs_P1DceRCR123prot.jpg

These are very comparable - if anything the Cree XR-E mod L1T/L2T might just have the edge in overall output/smoothness. But the P1D-CE has a more intense hotpsot - acoounting for its much better performance at a distance outdoors.....

Cree XR-E L1T 1x NiMH AA ................................. Nuwai Q3 with RCR123
Stairs_Cree1NiMH.jpg
StairQ3.jpg

This shot is very telling - that's the Cree XR-E in a L1T head driven by a single NiMH AA battery
vs. what was previously a spectacularly bright light - the Nuwa Q3 on 3.7V Li-Ion rechargeable RCR123.

Last edited:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1100383#post1100383
Calina said:
As the brigtness of LEDs keeps increasing we will need more and more levels on our lights to play with. The problem is that once you go over 3 or 4 levels the twisting operation to change levels can become cumbersome. A new approach will have to be designed, like selecting the levels with a ring or having 3 levels only but programmable by the user.
The SPY005 permits instant access to 6 levels; by far the best multi-level solution I've seen.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1100383#post1100383

Brightnorm

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part 5 -

2x AA Alkaline

may be a "preview" of what a "L2D-CE" might be like?

on High setting

vs. stock Fenix L2T
A2Cree_Stock.jpg
A2Cree_Stock2U.jpg

vs. UWAJ mod Fenix L2T
A2Cree_UWAJ.jpg
A2Cree_UWAJ2U.jpg

Control Reference comparison -
vs. Fenix P1 (primary CR123A)
A2Cree_P1.jpg
A2Cree_P1U2.jpg

In all 3 cases the Cree XR-E mod L2T is definitely and easily brighter.
and if looking carefully at the underexposed shots one can just see the controversial dark ring/halo - and remember this mod is using a orange-peel stippled reflector...... so I would guess the dark halo is not going away any time soon and may be a characteristic of the Cree XR-E LED......

on Low -

vs. stock Fenix L2T
A2LCree_Stock.jpg
A2LCree_Stock2U.jpg

vs. UWAJ mod Fenix L2T
A2LCree_UWAJ.jpg
A2LCree_UWAJ2U.jpg

again the Cree is brighter than the stock L1T and even probably what can be considered best of breed LuxIII UWAJ mod L2T.......

A2LCree_P1.jpg
A2LCree_P1U2.jpg

this is pretty impressive - the Low level on this Cree L2T is almost as bright as the Fenix P1 on primary CR123A........

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part 6 -

2x AA NiMH

High setting -

vs. stock Fenix L2T
N2Cree_Stock.jpg
N2Cree_Stock2U.jpg

vs. UWAJ mod Fenix L2T
N2Cree_UWAJ.jpg
N2Cree_UWAJ2U.jpg

N2Cree_P1.jpg
N2Cree_P1U2.jpg

The Cree XR-E mod in L2T is easily and noticably brighter than the LuxIII powered by 2x AA NiMH or even a CR123A.

on Low -

vs. stock Fenix L2T
N2LCree_Stock.jpg
N2LCree_Stock2U.jpg

vs. UWAJ mod Fenix L2T
N2LCree_UWAJ.jpg
N2LCree_UWAJ2U.jpg

N2LCree_P1.jpg
N2LCree_P1U2.jpg

again on 2x AA NiMH the Cree even on Low seems in the same ballpark as the P1 on primary CR123A - this may not be quite desirable for a "Low" level - but shows how bright these Cree XR-E's are.....

So the "Low" with this Cree is my normal mode - switching over to High only when I need extra brightness
or want to impress
biggrin.gif

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any thread that gives details about how to mod Fenixes to Cree? I have a L2P that want much to be modded with a Cree that should arrive soon! ;) I just want to know what kind of modifications I should expect!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
WildChild wrote: "Is there any thread that gives details about how to mod Fenixes to Cree? I have a L2P that want much to be modded with a Cree that should arrive soon!
wink.gif
I just want to know what kind of modifications I should expect!"

Although I didn't do this mod -
I have some idea that modification/"surgery" is required on both the LED (rounding of the base) and the reflector (truncating, and enlarging the hole). Also some means of heat-sinking is needed - so the Cree-XR-E is not a simple direct replacement for the Luxeon in the L2P.

This thread by ViReN -

Presenting you the very personal *Fenix E1 CE*

may also help.

Chev_chelios

Newly Enlightened
Hi.

This is the light that gives me the L2D CE Fenix.

I think it does not give a good source of light because have a ring of shadow around the point of light.

What you think?

Greetings

Chev.

Sorry for my english.

archivo.php