• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

D1Svn ;-)

Capolini

Banned
I had read about the variability of these & figured that's why we don't see them in mass produced lights.

Vinh has always cherry picked LED's when dedoming, eliminating the bad ones.

Possibly he may not be experiencing the same issue. If he was you would think that the price of lights would be/get higher?

Sproing

Newly Enlightened
Can a person that has both the sst40Sd and Oslon post beam shots when they get it. Or vinh if it's not too much trouble.

This is a great idea! We're all curious how the Oslon Black is performing in different hosts.

I got a U21vn Oslon Black and requested the lumen, lux and throw measurements from Vinh. I'll post those for anyone interested when I receive it. I also got an Acebeam EC60vn with Oslon Black but nobody here probably cares about that with all the big throwers out there ;-) Should probably start a new thread for it later so I/we don't go too off topic on the D1Svn thread.

Agpp

Enlightened
I see your logic Cap. However, a well engineered flashlight reflector is designed for a particular LED. When we change the LED, we then left the reservation and anything is possible.

The shape and finish of the reflector have a lot to do with how well it performs. That said, I expected more out of the D1S with the Olson as well. I am very interested in the U21vn with the Olson, but now I need to wait to see the specs for sure.

Could you please elaborate what kind of shape tweaks do designers apply to make their reflector optimized for a particular LED?

Capolini

Banned
stats_D1_Svn.jpg

D1s_VN_SOLO.jpg

D1_Svn_comparison.jpg

I know these are wall shots. On the other hand I have Two lights like this where this is noticeable on the trail. I hope it is not. It is definitely not artifacts free. Hopefully it is not an issue.

3 feet from the wall. about 60% output.

wall_shot_disvn.jpg

3 Feet from wall. 100% output

wall_shot_ds1vn.1.jpg

I will try to get some real beam shots tonight.

ven

Flashaholic
Congrats Roberto:D Dont worry about rings, its a by product of SMO reflectors(some worse than others), i am pretty sure out in the field(or capo lane) it will be a none issue:)

TBH from 3ft which is super close for a thrower(wont even be focused in), thats not a bad beam at all. I have seen worse that look great outdoors.

Capolini

Banned
Congrats Roberto:D Dont worry about rings, its a by product of SMO reflectors(some worse than others), i am pretty sure out in the field(or capo lane) it will be a none issue:)

TBH from 3ft which is super close for a thrower(wont even be focused in), thats not a bad beam at all. I have seen worse that look great outdoors.

My U21vn and OSTS TN31mb have very similar rings on wall shots and they ARE noticeable in real use, especially when shining on ground and right ahead of you.

This light has a Thermal step down and does NOT need it!!!Toykeeper mentions it also in her review. I am NOT sure what the temp. setting is. It can not be higher than 130F/54C.

It is dimming and the light is not even hot. I can not get an accurate max run time test.

This has NOTHING to do with V54 as this is that emisar ramping stock driver.

Outside in this weather the thermal step down will not be an issue,in the summer it will.

More acceptance!

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
If you do the 10 clicks and hold Roberto, then when it does that fast 2s buzz, release, it sets temp to max, should stop any too quick step downs. Other option, keep hold after the buzz and release when temp is getting hot.................may take a while though!

Capolini

Banned
If you do the 10 clicks and hold Roberto, then when it does that fast 2s buzz, release, it sets temp to max, should stop any too quick step downs. Other option, keep hold after the buzz and release when temp is getting hot.................may take a while though!

Thanks,I forgot about that! I did that w/ the D1VN

Capolini

Banned
EVERYTHING is in order!

I was pleasantly surprised:thumbsup: that the rings in the D1Svn did NOT show up on the trail like the U21vn[2 semi circle] and the OSTS TN31mb[One 3/4 circle].

It is an awesome little light. I will post some beam shots later.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
ya i think the thermal temp is set really low when Vinh sends out lights with drivervn4. Every drivervn4 light i get from him will start dimming immediately after i turn it on. i just turn off the thermal steap down and im good to go. just had to do that with the XSvn i just got with Oslon led. Its a laser

Capolini

Banned
D1_S_BASIN.jpg

First photo: Tree is 70 yards away

D1_S_BASIN2.jpg

D1_S_BASIN3.jpg

D1_S_BASIN4.jpg

The water tower[902 yards] pics did not come out that well.Not enough peripheral light and not a good enough camera. I am going to try the cell tower from 600 yards.

Here are 2 anyway!! One is actual[no zoom] the other is 2.5 zoom

D1_S_BASIN_5_TOWER.jpg

D1_S_BASIN_6_TOWER.jpg

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations capo.. thats a nice d1svn olson black.. its crazy you can see the water tower with this light..

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought rings meant that the light was extremely well focused and is just showing some of the artifacts of the reflector.

Maybe I'm just a little weird but I sorta like the appearance of a ring or two in throwers.

Capolini

Banned
Congratulations capo.. thats a nice d1svn olson black.. its crazy you can see the water tower with this light..

Thanks NL.

WARNING these are feeble pics!!! :crackup: I bet I can get decent ones at my Power line spot which is 300 yards,,,I will try that tomorrow night,
600 yards NO ZOOM

cell_tower_d1s.jpg

2X ZOOM

cell_tower_d1s_2x.jpg

P.S Put some great pics on the lounge of the TK75vn QUAD SST40 SD

Capolini

Banned
I am GLAD that I went on OSLON BLACK FLAT[OSRAM] website first!!! I thought the LED was missing some phosphorus! It is designed that way. Not sure why?!

Here is a great photo I took of mine.Bottom Left corner. visualize 7 to 8:30[clock] missing ~ 7% phosphorus ON PURPOSE!

OSLON_LED.7.jpg

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course that's how it looks. That macro shot really does show all the imperfections of the centering plate though haha.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,it is a very clear picture and zoomed in all the way.

I have that perfectionist mentality. Sometimes it takes 20 pictures to get one that good!

ven

Flashaholic
I would never have thought Roberto :whistle:

Nothing wrong with that! Its also known as taking pride in what one does:)

Capolini

Banned
I would never have thought Roberto :whistle:

Nothing wrong with that! Its also known as taking pride in what one does:)

Absolutely!!! Imaging how BAD my other cell phone tower and water tower pictures must have been in order for me to choose and post the ones that I did!!!:crackup::crackup::crackup::laughing::laughing::laughing::naughty::naughty::naughty: