Decent AA light 2-3 Mode

ghostrider

Enlightened
I want to get something for my parents. They like the size of their old Sam's Club Cyclops 2xCR123, but I want it to run on AA because I know they won't keep buying 123's. I also know that while I was thinking about a Jetbeam, they probably don't want a light that cost that much. They really liked the Cyclops because it was "handy", but they don't use it because they don't have battteries for it, so I think a AA light would be better for them. I went to DX but really don't know which lights are reputable. I'd like it to have two modes (maybe three if necessary), and a button that isn't too hard to press.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

sampson2269

Newly Enlightened
I would go with this, and get the Nichia 219 led

L3 Illumination L10 Colors Nichia 219

Last edited:

mcorp

Enlightened
+1 for L3 illumination as a twisty. But if your parents prefer clickies like mine do, I'm guessing the xeno e03 would be a better choice! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ghostrider

Enlightened
+1 for L3 illumination as a twisty. But if your parents prefer clickies like mine do, I'm guessing the xeno e03 would be a better choice! :)
Where can I get one? I did a brief search and DX came up with a six-mode light. Not the same light in the review.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got both an L3 L10 AA, 4 mode light and a Xeno E03 3 mode light. Either are pretty simple to use. The newer Xenos are 6 mode and use a brighter emitter, so a bit different than my 2 year old model.

Chris

UnderPar

Enlightened
Btw, Zebralight also have the SC62d model that runs on AA or 14500. You might want to check this also. Though it has many modes. Good luck!

Poppy

Flashaholic
You might want to consider : a 2xAA light It is a little longer than a single AA light and it might fit their hands a little better. Less likely to drop it. Just a thought.

Special Offer: ThruNite Archer 2A 272lumens CREE XP-G2 LED Flashlight
currently at $25.95 at their site

ghostrider

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the replies and help. Not yet sure what to go with, but the suggestions have been very helpful.

ghostrider

Enlightened
You might want to consider : a 2xAA light It is a little longer than a single AA light and it might fit their hands a little better. Less likely to drop it. Just a thought.

Special Offer: ThruNite Archer 2A 272lumens CREE XP-G2 LED Flashlight
currently at $25.95 at their site
How's the button on that? Is it hard to push or realitively easy?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix E12 3-mode single AA light is a good. I've been happy with it and have bought several for gifting also. It's the kind of light that I'd give someone that just wants something simple and a tailcap on/off button without spending a lot. It's also very efficient at the 2 lowest modes which I think is where you'd use it most of the time anyhow. The light can be picked up with coupon in the low $20's which makes it a good value in my opinion.

wjv

Enlightened
Or you can just order them a 20 pack of CR123s which will probably last them many years!

But as AA lights go, the JetBeam BA20 is good though I think JetBeam pushes it when they claim 270 lumen. The new version Fenix LD22 are very nice, and while some people don't like the side switch, non-flashlight people seem to grasp the 2 button concept very quickly!

The LD12 is a good 1xAA light.

As others have mentioned, the L3 L10 is great, especially with the 219 LED.

You didn't mention their ages, but for older folks I'd go with a 2xAA as the larger format is easier to grip, especially if arthritis is an issue. Also the 2xAA lights can put out more lumens. As you get older you eyes tend to need more light to see.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you can just order them a 20 pack of CR123s which will probably last them many years!

But as AA lights go, the JetBeam BA20 is good though I think JetBeam pushes it when they claim 270 lumen. The new version Fenix LD22 are very nice, and while some people don't like the side switch, non-flashlight people seem to grasp the 2 button concept very quickly!

I've had a BA20 for a couple of years and bought it when I got the Klarus P2A, which is almost identical.

One was $40 and one was $45 shipped.

They're pretty much idiot proof with runtimes on high, of close to two hours on some Gen. 2 Eneloops.

Since they're slender, they fit decently in my pockets.

I've picked up a G2 L3 L10 and I'm liking that a lot. 4 modes and tiny. Same with the Olight i3s, however, those twisties might be harder to grasp since they're so small.

Chris

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
I'd also definitely go with a 2xAA light for easier handling but I'd stay away from rear clickys and go with a simple side button/switch light that is fool proof. The olight S15L2 comes to mind and even more so the nitecore ea2 that has two "buttons" on it's switch - on/off and mode (that's it) it's foolproof, anyone can pick it up and use it first time, any time. $40 on amazon I believe

ghostrider

Enlightened
Thanks all for the help. I decided to order the Thrunite Archer 2AA with the idea that if they didn't like it I would keep it for myself while continuing the search. They liked it, so the search is over. I'm also happy with it as I think it's a nice light. Even though I told them that todays nimh are a great improvement over the rechargables when I was a kid, they still didn't want to be bothered with them so I got them an 8-pack of Energizer's AA Lithiums to use in it.