Differences between SF 6P and G2Z?

ab1ht

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm still new to the board and educating myself about lights in general, so bear with me if this has already been asked a million times...

I'd like to try out some SF incan lights. I'm looking at the 6P and G2Z. Looking at the spec chart, they are very similar.

Does anyone have a preference? If so, why? Recommendations?

TIA.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6P is the standard 2 cell CR123 light, makes a nice LED or Incan host. The G2Z and the Z2 are the "Combatlight" with the grip rings that allow you to hold the light like a syringe.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
6P is Aluminuim.
G2Z is nitrolon.

I would suggest the Z2 :D

The Aluminum brother of the G2Z.
I find that the grip ring is very useful, and it is still comfortable to hold in any grip.

The advantage of the 6P however, is that you can get them bored out (or buy them bored already) and set them up to use rechargeables!

This gives you more options for drop ins etc.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The thing with incan P60-type configurations, they really only start to perform well (esp with respect to rechargeable cell configurations) at 7.4-7.5v. The only way you can do this in a 6P-length host is with two RCR123's, which have very poor capacity. In a 3-cell (i.e. 3xCR123) SureFire G3 / 9P / C3, you can use 17500's, which result in ~double the capacity/runtime compared to a 6P-length light for a light of only slightly greater length.

So, sorry to go 'none of the above', suggesting instead the G3, 9P, & C3.
3xCR123 or 2x17500 for very useful incan runtimes.
IMO.

Hope this helps,
K

ab1ht

Newly Enlightened
The advantage of the 6P however, is that you can get them bored out (or buy them bored already) and set them up to use rechargeables!

I'm a little confused here. I'm still learning about batteries, so forgive my ignorance.

Is it not possible to get rechargeable CR123's?

Currently, I only have AAA, AA, and D size lights and use rechargeable NiMH batteries for all of these.

R@ndom

Enlightened
I'm a little confused here. I'm still learning about batteries, so forgive my ignorance.

Currently, I only have AAA, AA, and D size lights and use rechargeable NiMH batteries for all of these.

Rechargeable li-ion. The fat ones have way more energy density.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can get rechargeable CR123's, but 18650 li-ion cells have a much greater capacity, and therefore offer greater runtimes.

:thumbsup:

Plus you don't have the worries of two different cells, which may decide to play up if they aren't both charge the same amount.

ab1ht

Newly Enlightened
Plus you don't have the worries of two different cells, which may decide to play up if they aren't both charge the same amount.

Now I'm really confused. Are you saying I can replace 2xCR123 with an 18650 and a SF 6P will run just fine? The voltages don't add up.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firstly, to even be able to fit an 18650 into a SF 6P it needs to be bored out.
Then you can use rechargeables or primary CR123 cells.
If you go for an aftermarket drop-in, for example a Malkoff M60, you can use 1x18650,2xRCR123, or 2xCR123's.

But it is not recommended to use surefire lamps with rechargeables.
I did make a point about aftermarket drop-ins in my first post, but it may not of been clear.

I suggest you read further down in the thread that I linked earlier.

ElectronGuru has explained it all, in the first post.

Also check out this link.

There are many threads.

Last edited:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
In defense of nitrolon lights, they are much more resistant to scratches and dings than aluminum lights and they do not freeze your hand in the winter months. As long as you are using an incandescent lamp or a low powered LED module, nitrolon works great. I really like the G2Z and the two I have get a lot more use than my 6P. Much of it is personal preference. If you can handle both of them in store, that might help your decision.

3301756379_4b1501692c_o.jpg