Do flashlights with more than one button confuse you or slow you down in an emergency

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, if you use them everyday they would certainly become second nature. I guess the only thing that messes me up is the timing on some lights to access strobe. Tap two or three times, or twist so many times or whatever.... I don't play around with them often enough.

Yeah, I like that Eagletac D25 .... that's a nice light for EDC.
The use of strobe is a defensive reaction to a perceived threat. This falls into a catagory of a learned and practiced behavior.

If it is not a practiced and learned muscle-brain reaction, it would be of little use to someone under stress. It might give someone a sense of security knowing that they have a strobe producing flashlight, but without practice it might be only wishful thinking that a strobe flashlight would be of use.

Treeguy

Enlightened
?? :sweat: ??

... or do you like flashlights with just one simple button that does everything? :confused:
I kind of hate to say it, but I'm more of a one button guy. All I have to do is to stab one button and can access all functions from there. :party:

Was thinking of this the other night.

The way I see it, if by "emergency" you mean middle of the night stuff, I figure there are two likely possible scenarios. Number 1 is a sound that is out of place (something breaking or moving around when nothing should be breaking or moving around). Number 2 is the smoke detector.

In both cases I want only one button and one option on the light - turn on at max power.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
It comes down to muscle memory and training. I've been carrying a one hand open folding knife in my right front pocket for 25 years. I catch myself reaching for it even in the kitchen doing food preperation... As an "Emergency Light", there is wisdom in K.I.S.S... either the momentary on twisty tailcap a'la Surefire, or their two stage with similar results. Mash on for light, let go for no light. Fine motor skills disappear under stress. Case in point: I was using one of the new PK Warrior lights in Mr.Mom's passaround to walk my dog recently. We live in the country, surrounded by woods and cornfields. Lots of coyotes, skunks, and knock on wood I haven't seen any yet, bears. We were walking with the light on low, and I heard crashing through the brush. Wanted high output, it wasn't happening. I thought I knew how to make it happen, I was wrong... No biggie, probably just a deer we startled, but you never know.

Treeguy

Enlightened
It comes down to muscle memory and training. I've been carrying a one hand open folding knife in my right front pocket for 25 years. I catch myself reaching for it even in the kitchen doing food preperation... As an "Emergency Light", there is wisdom in K.I.S.S... either the momentary on twisty tailcap a'la Surefire, or their two stage with similar results. Mash on for light, let go for no light. Fine motor skills disappear under stress. Case in point: I was using one of the new PK Warrior lights in Mr.Mom's passaround to walk my dog recently. We live in the country, surrounded by woods and cornfields. Lots of coyotes, skunks, and knock on wood I haven't seen any yet, bears. We were walking with the light on low, and I heard crashing through the brush. Wanted high output, it wasn't happening. I thought I knew how to make it happen, I was wrong... No biggie, probably just a deer we startled, but you never know.

I hear ya.

It was the smoke detector that got me thinking. I have a family and if that thing starts screaming at 4am in the pitch black, wondering what mode my light might be in or what series of buttons to push is light years down the line on my list or priorities. Out of bed, put on the shorts on the floor, grab a flashlight and do a high speed room to room.

One button - max power - abso-frigging-lutely nothing else. :caution:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
If I need a flashlight in an ER and actually have one trust me, I am not going to be picky. I prefer gear simpler because it seems like there are less things to go wrong but as always will use what's on hand if needed.

uofaengr

Enlightened
It depends on how the two buttons are laid out. I'm ok with the side by side buttons on my TK61vn though it's not an emergency light nor do I keep it in a place that makes any sense for a middle of the night emergency. The two button lights like the Thrunite TN12, I nearly hate..not the light but the interface. Turning it on and either having to regrip to change modes or feel around with my pinky...I don't like it. For emergency, I want a one button, minimal mode light. So currently I keep an M2Xvn set to 100% only for outdoor spotting and a SC62w for general lighting purposes at bedside.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a fan of 2-button lights. I've often screwed up which button to press on my Sunwayman. I like the light, but wish they had gone with a simpler UI with just a single button. I really like Zebralight's UI.

Lantern32

Enlightened
Once I've had the light for about a week I am fine. It's that week of getting use to it that is more annoying. I believe it does eventually pay off though!

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
scout24 nailed it: "As an "Emergency Light", there is wisdom in K.I.S.S... either the momentary on twisty tailcap a'la Surefire, or their two stage with similar results. Mash on for light, let go for no light. Fine motor skills disappear under stress."

Those of you that think your going to use your 10 tap, multi-function, SOS/strobe, super duper 80,000 lumen light to defend yourself, I do wish you good luck.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cland and Scout got it in one - or three - posts. Depends on the emergency and your reaction to the emergency. Speaking for myself, higher reasoning goes out the window when the adrenaline starts pumping and I'm scared out of my mind. And even if you have the presence of mind to remember how to access the mode you want, and which button to push in what combination, you lose valuable seconds accessing it.

For an emergency that isn't "what the heck is rustling in the bushes behind me", utility lights with multiple modes are great tools that can adapt to a variety of situations. A Surefire that runs for an hour and a half won't be all that great during a power outage. And fumbling through a UI when you hear a bump in the night is not a great feeling either.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'd say age and experience plays a role in what comes natural.

To the vast majority the simple on/off button is best. But if all you've ever known is the flashlights that come with a multitude of settings including programming your DVR, then that's the one they'll get the best service from.

Take your typical youngster who's been playing video games for a decade...he/she are used to 8 buttons and instinctively can use each one without a 2nd thought. You hand them a joystick controller and they look at you and say "I don't get it"...

So I totally understand where some would place more trust in a multi-function light.

I hand my kids a Mag XL 200 and they have it dialed in 87 seconds....without instructions. So in a bump in the night, fire alarm scenerio that would be their go to light.

I prefer a reliable twister hi/lo. Get it wrong and instantly correct it.

If I were in the woods playing with a gadget light I'd also have old faithful with me. I keep my Elzetta Alpha in my right pocket or within arms reach everywhere I go.
Only complaint is I have to cinch my draw string a bit on my jammies to keep the weight of the Alpha from pulling them down when walking around the house.

Tepeka

Newly Enlightened
More than one button definitely confuses me, but having to cycle through the various options is almost as bad. I can't count the time I've gone past the mode I want because I've been clicking too quickly.

I guess for an emergency (defense) situation, having a separate 'tactical' button that blasts out max power might be useful. I'd probably end up pressing it when I just wanted low power, though. :(

Latest posts