What’s kept you interested?

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
60 lumens used to be a tactical amount when your life was on the line so why do I need 3000?
🤷 someone in a recent post told me to get over myself and that they "need" over 2000 lumens regularly. Each to their own. That's why we have a forum I guess. I don't begrudge others wanting a wow light. It's not for me. I like lighting up the object but keeping my peripheral adapted. I find the old wall of lights to be counterintuitive to focusing on an object. I don't mind sweeping my light. This morning I discovered a
de-focused Maglite ml25it with the stock 30 lumen bulb was quite nice for spotting dog crap while not blinding my 4:30am eyes.
But ya I gave up trying to keep up with the newest and greatest LEDs. And they keep getting higher output and floodier. My favorite led light has an xpe in it! I do like my little convoy s2+ I got a couple years ago though. Max 400 lumens with 95 cri and good throw from the sst-20. Usually use it in 40 lumen mode. Probably only been charged twice with such hard usage!

Falcon9h

Newly Enlightened
🤷 someone in a recent post told me to get over myself and that they "need" over 2000 lumens regularly. Each to their own. That's why we have a forum I guess. I don't begrudge others wanting a wow light. It's not for me. I like lighting up the object but keeping my peripheral adapted. I find the old wall of lights to be counterintuitive to focusing on an object. I don't mind sweeping my light. This morning I discovered a
de-focused Maglite ml25it with the stock 30 lumen bulb was quite nice for spotting dog crap while not blinding my 4:30am eyes.
But ya I gave up trying to keep up with the newest and greatest LEDs. And they keep getting higher output and floodier. My favorite led light has an xpe in it! I do like my little convoy s2+ I got a couple years ago though. Max 400 lumens with 95 cri and good throw from the sst-20. Usually use it in 40 lumen mode. Probably only been charged twice with such hard usage!
Well, with my near zero night vision, 1000 lumens to me is dim, or just doable. Hate driving at night and do it as little as possible.
I like the wow lights. Just got the Wuban X-1 and what a monster... as I write my wife and I are on a cabin getaway in the Poconos-can't see your hand in front of your face-and that thing lit up the whole forest for 180 degrees and hundreds of yards. So it's like having an afterburner... nice to know there's power in reserve. You can have a 4 cyl. screaming at full revs or a big-inch V8 working easy.
Haven't bought lights for a long time but when I saw the design I had to have it. Even my wife was impressed, chances of that were less than winning the lottery. My crime of opportunity was whip out my two hi-CRI blowtorches and demo color rendering to her! (one is a Noctigon M43, the other a Manker MK34, both with Nichia 219's) 😁😎 She's an artist so she sees the differences now and why I rave about LED tints.
However, I wouldn't trade the early 2000's for anything-the heady, wonderful days of emerging LED tech.

Lateck

Newly Enlightened
Got into flashlights a number of years ago. Got way more then I needed, got bored. Hadn't bought anything new for years. Then my favorite brand (Olight) started making some different choices and that drew me back in. Still have more lights than I will ever need. But, it's fun.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
XP-G2 was my favorite until the SST-20. I gave my wife a SureFire G2x Pro 320 in 2015. She to this day does not know it has a high mode. It still has the batteries that came with it. If she wants more light she grabs her Minimag with 330 lumens.

I never was one who liked to replace the LED for brighter or in the original vein of CPF, the bulb for a super nova output. But I admire those who do. I stay interested simply because pushing a button on a round tube causes darkness or shadows to be lit up.

Falcon9h

Newly Enlightened
Got into flashlights a number of years ago. Got way more then I needed, got bored. Hadn't bought anything new for years. Then my favorite brand (Olight) started making some different choices and that drew me back in. Still have more lights than I will ever need. But, it's fun.

yeoldoak

Newly Enlightened
For me I'm happy with what I have, 4 Mini Mag AAs, 4 D Cell Maglites and
a couple of SureFires, though every few years I look into wether there are any
new improved, brighter LED drop ins, Batterys etc, which this past couple of weeks I have
purchased 3 LED units for the D Mags and a couple battery tube extenders to boost
the wattage, maybe some more batterys, make another sling and mount for the other D Mag,
then thatll be me just getting on with em.

Then I'll turn my attention to the knives, then the mountain bikes, then the outdoor gear,
then the Guns, the Axes, Hand and power Tools, the Sewing Machine, once the cycle has
run its course it will be back to the Torchs : )

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i just wish they advanced as fast as computers but cheap brands got me back into the hobby love small cheap bright lights

ViperaPiper

Newly Enlightened
Searching for a modern successor to my beloved LX2 has to be the main thing keeping me looking at new releases. No one makes a flashlight with a small head and similar lumen:throw ratio nowadays. :(
Got an Olight S2R II and Warrior X Pro(the only company besides Surefire with a two stage switch as far as I know) and they are excellent flashlights but somehow just don't light a fire in me.
Old Surefires are the ones that keep me excited and being able to afford some of the "hero" flashlights that I couldn't even dream of owning 10-15 years ago is what keeps me in the hobby recently.
And what finally, after all those years got me to post here.