Do spiders get bored ?

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
You could be correct, but how many men do you know that are able to stay still that long?

(As my dear old grampa used to say, " I'd like to meet whomever invented sex and see if they have come up with anything new lately"):crazy:

dcarch8

Newly Enlightened
Outrider said:
"His"? Now that could be a sexest remark. How do you know it's not a lady spider ------------------

When a lady spider says to her date, " Hey honey, you look delicious tonight -----"
:ohgeez:
Yum!

dcarch8

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive often wondered do bugs really think or are they just cause/effect responders with no grey matter. Its been told to me the latter is true.

In my wheelchair days I use to sit and watch bugs run around for no appearant reason much like squires, lizzards.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps they are in a zen-like state where they are one with their environment. Maybe that li'l feller is down there working on Satori while he's watching for Silverfish.

I don't *know* but I suspect they live in the eternal present. That thoughts of the future and past are rare, that a quiet low-stimulus day does not equal bored, it equals, "survived another day, that's cool".

I expect that they can get restless when they need something. That they are capable of actively hunting for something, but I doubt they get bored or impatient or frustrated about it. After all, if it takes a week to find a better web site, so what? It's not like they're missing The Game on tv or something.

I would expect them to be able to feel fear/attraction content/need and various other instinctive feelings as required. I don't know if they ever sit back after a hard days web building and feel pride. I don't think they need pride. They are small enough that they probably don't have a whole lot of neurons available for unecessary emotions like boredom.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yeah, they were the original webmasters. :laughing:

Considering that a lot of small critters can go into a state of torpor when their alertness isn't needed for an extended period of time, they probably just kind of veg out. I don't suppose that they really daydream - they probably go into a power save mode and throttle down their CPU clock.