Do you at times feel as though you’re the “Thread Killer”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Well then that's the idiot's fault... not mine... :p

Indeed. :)

Still, it's fun to hang back and watch the poor idiots think they can get one over on you just because you're not a dude. They have no clue what they're in for.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
TAf6m.gif

Ironically, our resident thread killer is that tall and skinny. ;)

(Good thing he posted a pic of himself on CPF already, otherwise this topic would get closed for revealing personal info. about another member.)

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to be safe:

Anyone who posts after this post, by doing so agrees to pay me $1000.

This is a binding agreement, and payment is due immediately ;-)

Good idea, just make sure you send me my $2....30....No.....40%! That's net 50% to me!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The easy out is a mod who posts, then locks the thread.

:popcorn:

And, I can't believe someone posted in a thread like this as the SECOND post...I mean, the irony of leaving that first post hanging, for all eternity...was too perfect to destroy.

After that, its all over...a loop is born.

JemR

Newly Enlightened
I mean, the irony of leaving that first post hanging, for all eternity...was too perfect to destroy.

+1 for that, leave it in the air!

But (I hardly dare say it) surely it would be just awful to kill one of the long running treads. Some have been going for 4 or 5 years, even more. Watching it move down your subscribed treads list with you as the last poster. How would that feel. Very hard to do for sure and we certainly would NOT, repeat NOT, want it, but it must at least be possible for the real "Thread Killer".

But we must as a group keep those threads alive! "Save the threads" :grouphug:

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
I'm glad it's not just me.
Sometimes I'll resurrect a ancient "dead" thread because something pertinent just happened to me- then I understand.
But when they're just a few days old, and I feel like I added something, I feel bad when nobody else responds. "Was it something I said?"
Long live the Threads!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw this thread shortly after it was OP'd and had no replies. And I resisted replying then because I thought others had already resisted.... because of how cool and befitting it would be if no one ever, ever replied to this thread. Oh well. :fail: :crackup:

lol!

It's kind of interesting when you kill a thread because how you feel will be all about your intention when posting the terminal post. Definitive, questioning? Hoping for some fleeting digital strand of human interaction or working to put a subject comprehensibly to rest.

It sucks when no one will answer your question, but aside from that if you feel bad killing a thread, you should get outside, reconnect with the family, throw a stick for a dog for a while or something. ;-)
Now if you enjoy killing threads... :-D

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the thread's killed that really make me sad are the meet ups and get-togethers.

When you first start the thread its all very exciting and you are keen to attract lots of fellow CPFers to the meet, which inevitably is only a month or two away - even if not decided on when first posted. Over the next few weeks there is a flurry of enthusiasm and ideas about where, when, how the phases of the moon or the tide or the travel will affect the meet, etc. Then all the clamouring about what lights people will be bringing and what lights they are buying specially for the meet.

Then the next phase is totting up who's coming and who might be coming, and making sure that all the usual suspects are informed and PMed. Plus a couple of new folk will post in this phase (But not always turn up on the day...we can't be that scary).

The final phase before the meet is cheerful hooting about how the cell charging is going/has gone and even when people are setting off.

Then a pause of several hours ensues while the meet takes place - a pause most felt by those not attending.

And so, the pictures start to roll in, the torches, the collections, the people, the food, the location, the beamshots, the number of the same lights, the mods - and all the thanks and friendly cajolery that goes on in the day or so after the meet. All that wonderful cameraderie and joy of like minded people and their shared obsessions/passions/hobbies.

But gradually things go quiet, sort of a 'nothing more to see' policy descends on the once cheerful and much loved thread. I suppose once everyone who attended has said "Wow" and "Thanks a million" and even "wasn't it funny when..." and those who missed it have said "I'm so busted I missed..." and when we've all said "here's to the next one..." and "see you all later" - that's when the thread dies. And the dust of ages settles about the once merry communique.

And, being a chap who likes to keep things going, I always seem to have the last, guttering, dying post, harking back to the good times.

Old threads never die, they're merely left behind...

"It's a balloon, Penelope, a ​balloon!"

Hoping for some fleeting digital strand of human interaction or working to put a subject comprehensibly to rest.

It sucks when no one will answer......:-D

A friend of mine, upon learning I had recently begun purchasing new flashlights (collecting) queried: "Uh-oh, you know what they say about people who collect things?
Silly me answered with a question. "What?" "They're trying to compensate for other areas in their life where there's an unmet need."
:oops::welcome:

Now I know what you're thinking. Why in the world did he post that on a flashlight collecting board!? :wtf:

See eh4 quote above.

While I await your reply's and/or retorts, I'm headed outside to reconnect my cat with his vet. Poor kitty, had to have 13 of his teeth pulled.
>$700!

~ Chance :broke:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Forget the thread. Looks like someone killed the entire forums for a few hours there.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Indeed. :)

Still, it's fun to hang back and watch the poor idiots think they can get one over on you just because you're not a dude. They have no clue what they're in for.

May god have mercy on their souls, for Greta will not.

It sucks when no one will answer your question, but aside from that if you feel bad killing a thread, you should get outside, reconnect with the family, throw a stick for a dog for a while or something. ;-)
Now if you enjoy killing threads... :-D

My parents are dead eh4, my dog ate them.

(If you play the "guess the movie reference" game, you will win this imaginary box of absolutely nothing :nana:)

CoherentRays

Newly Enlightened
It is so comforting though to post in a thread where I KNOW there will eventually be a post following mine, even if it doesn't address my remarks directly. That has never been guaranteed before. I consider this thread a real public service for we timid posters.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is so comforting though to post in a thread where I KNOW there will eventually be a post following mine, even if it doesn't address my remarks directly. That has never been guaranteed before. I consider this thread a real public service for we timid posters.

A bit off topic, so sorry in advance OP! But is it still snow'in in the High Plains?

Status
Not open for further replies.