Do you carry a spare cell? If so how?

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I use a setup very similar to the OP. I stocked up DEEP on the GoingGear Numyth capsule factory seconds. They were so cheap I couldn't afford not to. I carry a spare CR123 on my keychain (1 capsule section), 3x CR123 in my bag (3 capsule sections), and when I need an 18650 I use 2 capsule sections. They're damn near bombproof and easily re-configurable to whatever my needs are.

I also have a Versati titanium single CR123 capsule, but it was so much heavier than my GoingGear capsules I relegated it to bag duty.

Last edited:

shooterSVT

Newly Enlightened
As I was leaving for a trip, I realized that I didn't have a way to carry my extra 18650. So in a pinch, I threw it in a pill bottle. Price was right!

GearHunter

Enlightened
I use a setup very similar to the OP. I stocked up DEEP on the GoingGear Numyth capsule factory seconds. They were so cheap I couldn't afford not to. I carry a spare CR123 on my keychain (1 capsule section), 3x CR123 in my bag (3 capsule sections), and when I need an 18650 I use 2 capsule sections. They're damn near bombproof and easily re-configurable to whatever my needs are.

I also have a Versati titanium single CR123 capsule, but it was so much heavier than my GoingGear capsules I relegated it to bag duty.

Those are very cool.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
I ordered one of these in 4 cell instead of 6. It was 5 bucks so figured why not. suppose to be waterproof, will test it out before I put my batteries in it.

I have a backpack coming in for when I am on my motorcycle so this will be in the bag at all times.

opplanet-surefire-battery-lamp-carrier-sc1.jpg

These are wonderful. I have the same one myself. Def water proof.

If I think I'll be needing a spare I have a delrin spare carrier with a SS suspension clip and it's
clipped inside my left front pocket.

herman30

Newly Enlightened
Instead of carrying spare cell or second light, wouldn't it be better to carry a light with 2 parallel batteries and double the run time without need of battery swap?
Not if you live by the rule: "Got to have extra for just incase". I E one is none, two is one, the more the better.

And thus we come to the conclusion:
We must have waffles! We must all have waffles forthwith!

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two battery fobs on my keychain. Both fobs have a little foam on each end to prevent rattling. One is a cheap aluminum pill fob that one can find in most drugstores that will take 1xCR123a, for my Fenix P2D. The other is an aluminum geocaching container that fits 1xAAA, for the Peak LED solutions "something" on my keychain. I placed 3 different orders for these over time, and they kept slightly changing the design. The first version was perfect (gave all except one away, natch), the 2nd version only necessitated pulling out the plastic sleeve insert with needle-nose pliers (gave those all away), and the third version didn't work out.
When I am wearing a beat-up leather coat in cooler/winter weather with a G2Z in an inner pocket, I also have a GITD 4xCR123 straight-line carrier, in a small ziploc bag, to keep the lithium cells from ever getting wet. I also have a very small number of now-cherished "tube vaults" that will carry either 4XCR123a, or 2x18650, that I got from - sniff - Lighthound. The tube vaults from Countycomm do not have the same dimensions, and will not carry the same number of cells. I do have two of the Countycomm Delrin 1xAA keychain containers, since I have never found a low-cost alternative for 1xAA cells. I also have some orange plastic Coughlin match holders for 1x18650.

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't carry spare cells on me. I primarily use NiMH AAs so if I think I'll need more runtime than I believe to be left in the lights I intend to use, I either take additional lights or I put in cells that haven't been used since they were last charged.

Now that I've gotten two incan Surefires -G2 and 6P Original- I intend to get an SC1 6-cell + P60 carrier down the road for trips; for a single outing I'll still simply take an LED light as backup in case I need more runtime than planned.

I also always additionally have a keychain light (which could be considered my backups' backup, ha ha!).

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 = 1 and 1 = 0. I like keeping my spare battery in a flashlight to protect it. :)

I also always additionally have a keychain light (which could be considered my backups' backup, ha ha!).

I edc between 3 or 4 (slacks) and 12 to 16 lights (jeans or cargos.) My NC Tube keychain light is often my backup's backup's backup's backup's backup's backup.

I will never be without a light. Not possible. :)

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep spare AA cells for my v11r in my edc bag. Additionally, I have an Malkoff md3 with a spare set of cr123 in there. So I can use the batteries for either light.

When I don't have the bag on me, I usually will have the v11r and a zl h51fw on me so I have the same battery type with either a floody headlamp or a flashlight with more reach.

At work I carry a surefire with a m61n on my belt, a spare 18650 in a match case in my pocket and in my bag a zl sc600w. (I also keep a headlamp and an e01 in my pocket)

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry an Eagletac C25 clicky and a delin cr123 case with a surefire battery is always on me; one in each front pocket.

A small daily travel bag carries a Nitecore MH20 and two Keeppower 18650 3400mAh batteries in their own supplied case.

Also in the bag is an Anker PowerCore 10050 power bank powers up my pain jane cell phone and Ipod 6G with video.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
There used to be a place in Manhattan called Iceberg Army + Navy. Think of it as a sort of upscale surplus store. A former employee made a nylon 2xCR123 belt pouch carrier. Complete with nylon flaps and a belt slot. I currently don't use it as I carry spare AA batteries in a jumbo Tik-Tac container. (That container.... it's as though it was designed to hold 3AA cells perfectly vertical.) I keep the container in my work-bag. Therefore, I have spare cells for both my S.S. Maratac AA model, along with my 2AA Enercell work-light that also gets carried in my bag.

But that spares carrier from Iceberg is a good one. Quality stitching. Wish I had bought more than one though. Still, the carrier is extremely discrete on a black colored belt with black pants. Just blends right in. Practically invisible. (So you don't look like Batman and get curious looks from the sheeple.)

There's a company out there named LCG Gear that made something similar out of kydex instead of nylon. But obviously without the flaps. You get two CR123 cells instead of only one in the County Comm delrin battery locker. And it's even less bulky since the cells are on the belt instead of a keyring. Ideal for someone who carries a 2xCR123 based light daily, or for someone who perhaps travels often and wants to be able to feed his single-CR123 light in an extended perhaps emergency.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Nice post on this topic.

I carry a spare 10180, 10280, or CR2 battery, depending on the light I'm carrying, and a small metal pill case in a holder in my pocket. It has two elastic loops and Velcro backing. The Velcro is grabby enough so that the holder never rides up and falls out of my pocket.

Last edited:

magellan

Honorary Aussie
2 = 1 and 1 = 0. I like keeping my spare battery in a flashlight to protect it. :)

I edc between 3 or 4 (slacks) and 12 to 16 lights (jeans or cargos.) My NC Tube keychain light is often my backup's backup's backup's backup's backup's backup.

I will never be without a light. Not possible. :)

Wow. I do three, a 10180, 10280, and either a CR2 or AAA light. 12 to 16 is awesome!

dluckey86

Newly Enlightened
I carry a spare laptop pull in an orange matchstick holder I got at walmart. It stays in my glove box in the truck unless it is super hot or cold out.

Latest posts