dont ever move to a small town!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Alabama cracked down on immigrants a few years back. Crops rotted in the field as a result. Farmers could not find labor, regardless of pay, for the backbreaking work.
Simple fact that a lot of people don't acknowledge. However one feels about immigrants, illegal or otherwise, our economy can't function without them. They pick crops. In cities they often make up most of the food delivery workforce. No, Americans aren't going to do these jobs. It's time to reform immigration, have work permits matched to the type of workers needed.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Facts don't care if you believe them or not. I gave links.

Some of the European economies are collapsing due to birth rate deficiencies: Spain, Italy, etc. It's a mathematical certainty.

The US is fortunate beyond belief that we are, more or less, _the_ desired immigration destination for the rest of the world, legit or not.

Alabama cracked down on immigrants a few years back. Crops rotted in the field as a result. Farmers could not find labor, regardless of pay, for the backbreaking work.

And, bring it on. I challenge you open debate in the UG. Might be tough for you as I'd expect facts, impartial references, and reason to be the basis. Good grammar, sentence structure, and paragraphs are also expected.
Why you always gotta be challenging people to a dual of so-called facts, like a George Soros hack?

Time proved you wrong about natural immunity vs the jab and time will prove you wrong on this immigration invasion. So dig up all of your current information and toss it about like confetti. Because time will show that millions of undocumented people pouring into the country in a short time is not a good thing no matter how much you want to prove it is.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I guess "elbow room" is something you city folk wouldn't understand.
Sure do. It's cripplingly expensive in the city and breaks the density that makes cities work - almost like there's a relationship between the two.

The folks have 7 acres out in the country but the closest settlement is 10 minutes way (Family Dollar best approximation of a grocery store), closet town 30 minutes away, closest city an hour away, and closest airport with regularly scheduled airline flights 2 hours away. Outside of the area's seemingly marginal agriculture there's but a small handful of primary industries in the area. It's no small miracle that they got state-financed fiber internet from the local electrical co-op a mere 2 years late.

I routinely get flyers for land sales describing ½-2 acre lots in unincorporated areas within ~60 minutes of Dallas. They never fail to mention the critical amenities for the would-be telecommuting crowd : well-developed road network, water/power connections, fiber internet availability. I suspect they sell out quickly. But I also suspect there's sill something like a HOA or zoning governing those properties as I doubt the upper middle class crowd there is going to stomach backyard gun ranges, livestock, nor collections of 'project cars' deteriorating away in front yards.

and in some cities, a lawn is all you can have in the front, and possibly the side of the house--no vegetable gardens or other weird things allowed by city ordinance. Personally, I would like to be able to have some livestock grazing on my 5 Acres, but the city took me in, and now I'm very limited on what I can do. No barb wire fence allowed. Dogs must be on a leash or fenced in when outside the house. No dog houses between the house and the street, etc, ad nauseam.
Zoning is the stuff of maximum contention and settles on whatever the local minimum of each municipality's political economy happens to be. So much keeping up appearances nonsense codified in city ordinances is the combination of the Karen brigade's screeching their displeasures aloud and whatever happens to prop up property tax valuations the most.

I'd like to build a gravel driveway off to one side of the house to park the occasional-use vehicle off the street, replace the always-near-death Bermuda grass between the sidewalk and street with hardier native grass, and I'd also like to convert my shed into an accessory dwelling unit (or at least to switch-hit as a home office). Unfortunately these are either disallowed, require so much planning permission, fees, approved building plans inked by anointed professionals, contingent upon may-issue inspections, and/or are so constricted in their ultimate use that they're not work bothering with. Regardless of how I feel about these rules and their roots, that's democracy at work.

They are all about expanding the city limits and growing the economy by attracting businesses to the community.
The annexation game is all about expanding that tax base - ideally putting off that pricey sanitary sewer infrastructure upgrade as long as possible.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Conspicuity" is the whole point of open carry; but I wouldn't do yard work "packing".

It's ironic that open/concealed carry is legal in my red state where you really don't need it (no doubt that's the reason). But really needed & illegal in the blue state I left...
I know that guy packing. It's not crazy people he's fed up with.. He said the frickin gophers were driving him nuts and he can't take it anymore!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The nice thing about small towns? I have always gone to the local post office and never had to wait in a long line. I think the most time I spent standing there was 10 minutes.
That part I certainly agree with. The local PO here typically has 20 or 30 minute waits. If it's around the holidays there might be a line outside stretching 3 or 4 blocks long.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny small town story.
I went to the voting location at a school in town to vote (no crowd or waiting), completed my ballot, and ran it through the ballot counting machine. Got my stub and sticker, handed my stub to the woman at a table and in a loud voice she announced:
"(My Name) Has Voted!"
I kinda felt important after that!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That part I certainly agree with. The local PO here typically has 20 or 30 minute waits. If it's around the holidays there might be a line outside stretching 3 or 4 blocks long.
You mean the one just past the bridge? Hated climbing up that sidewalk when I lived in the old neighborhood.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
A small town success story.

My daughter has made a career as a singer/dancer and has been fortunate to travel the world with various pop & swing bands. She's worked in Vegas, dinner theater, night clubs & cruise ships too. But since she was young she always dreamed of having her own performing group & studio to teach others.

Well, marriage and 2 kids later it didn't look very likely.

Deciding they didn't want to raise their children in the toxic blue state schools, she moved to a small town in Idaho (we soon followed). Teaching voice lessons at home led to starting a young adult singing group that performed at various events. Gaining some attention after singing the national anthem at the Snake River Stampede rodeo, she did some thinking.

Last year she found a building downtown and opened a music and dance studio with just a handful of students. Word of mouth, good reviews, a lot of hard work, and one year later… she has over 650 students and employs ten instructors. Now she's on the chamber of commerce and received the best business award for 2022.

Only in small town Merica…

Last edited:
A small town success story.

My daughter has made a career as a singer/dancer and has been fortunate to travel the world with various pop & swing bands. She's worked in Vegas, dinner theater, night clubs & cruise ships too. But since she was young she always dreamed of having her own performing group & studio to teach others.

Well, marriage and 2 kids later it didn't look very likely.

Deciding they didn't want to raise their children in the toxic blue state schools, she moved to a small town in Idaho (we soon followed). Teaching voice lessons at home led to starting a young adult singing group that performed at various events. Gaining some attention after singing the national anthem at the Snake River Stampede rodeo, she did some thinking.

Last year she found a building downtown and opened a music and dance studio with just a handful of students. Word of mouth, good reviews, a lot of hard work, and one year later… she has over 650 students and employs ten instructors. Now she's on the chamber of commerce and received the best business award for 2022.

Only in small town Merica…
That is truly an awesome story. I'm sure you're very proud of her and happy for her success.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
First time I've heard of the town Kuna, a burb of Boise. Things have changed since I've passed through 25 years ago. Sounds like a great place for young families to put down roots 👍

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
First time I've heard of the town Kuna, a burb of Boise. Things have changed since I've passed through 25 years ago. Sounds like a great place for young families to put down roots 👍
It is. Reminds me of my CA neighborhood in the 60s; kids playing in the streets, neighborhood get-togethers, etc. But it's growing and I hope it keeps it's charm...

Status
Not open for further replies.