Duracell Ion Core AA & AAA

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to Toys-R-Us today. They had plenty of batteries, ........EXCEPT for rechargeable AA battery packs. They were all out. The only ones that were all out. Go figure.

It would seem that there are people who realized the Ion Core AA are re-badged Eneloop XX .... $9 vs $20+

However all is not lost - fleaBay has them @ <$9 shipped -
just search for Duracell Ion Core AA and then sort by lowest price.

But be sure the listing chosen are the Ion Core AA and 4 count -
there's where I bought my most recent quad from.

(no local sales tax, no gas .... prob a better deal)

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart has them, Target did have them packed with a D1000 charger a year back, but they've moved to Energizer NiMH batteries in the blister packs, it seems to me.

Worth a try.

Paying $10.99 plus tax is worth it to me to have them quickly in my grubby little fingers.

Chris

Poppy

Flashaholic
I believe that Walmart and Target, each have a price match guarantee. K-mart does not.
So if you go to either of the first with a copy of the ad, or on your cell phone, they should match the Toys R Us price.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all of the info. I got some at walmart. I used a $1.50 coupon as well. :thumbsup:

ROBERT29

Newly Enlightened
Walmart has them, Target did have them packed with a D1000 charger a year back, but they've moved to Energizer NiMH batteries in the blister packs, it seems to me.

Worth a try.

Paying $10.99 plus tax is worth it to me to have them quickly in my grubby little fingers.

Chris

Maybe a little off topic, but how do Energizer NiMh AA-AAA cells compare to Duracells (in quality and performance)? I get the impression the Duracells are better.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a little off topic, but how do Energizer NiMh AA-AAA cells compare to Duracells (in quality and performance)? I get the impression the Duracells are better.

Energizer Recharge gets very mixed reviews -
but before I go into any further details here's my very simple minded take -

Energizer rechargeable quality "questionable"/indeterminate
vs.
Duracell Pre-Charged Ion Core AA (subject of this thread) = re-badged Eneloop XX AA (as low as $9/4)

Eneloop has the highest reputation of all LSD (Low Self-Discharge) batteries.
Eneloop XX are the higher capacity Eneloops.

The choice to me is a no brainer.

Now the details - I base these mainly on the reviews of NLee the Engineer on Amazon.
Review of Energizer Power Plus NiMH AA Rechargeable Batteries, 4-count (2300 mAh, Pre-Charged)
is a reasonable review but with absolutely nothing that would make me even consider them over these Duracell Ion Core AA.

However his Review of the similarly listed Energizer Power Plus NiMH AA Rechargeable Batteries, 8-count (2300 mAh, Pre-Charged)
said:
Based on the above observations, I can conclude that those 'New' Energizer cells are just ordinary NiMH cells with lower capacity. They are not the LSD (low-self-discharge) type pioneered by SANYO eneloop. This is very disappointing, because other name-brand battery makers have already introduced LSD products similar to eneloop, such as the Rayovac Hybrid and Duracell Pre Charged. In contrast, the Energizer Bunny simply 'rolled back' its battery technology to circa 2004.

Like I said reviews are mixed - like Duracell - Energizer seem very reluctant to clearly distinguish and specify their batteries - which leads to this kind of confusion - even for experienced reviewers like NLee the Engineer.

So I would simply not take the risk when clearly the highly reputed/top rated Eneloops are easily identified,
and Duracell Pre-Charged have been shown to be re-badged Eneloops (with all the identifying caveats)
and these Duracell Ion Core AA have been shown to be Eneloop XX which are higher capacity LSDs with about the same charge holding as the original 1st gen Eneloops.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've used a few quads of the green/foil/chrome AA/AAA Energizer 2300/850 (900?) Made In Japan rechargeable batteries for many years, even breaking in two new AA quads a few months back and they work well and are LSD in nature.

I'm not saying that I'd buy them over the the Iron Core Duracells now, because they're a bit more money, however I believe them to be good stuff and if that's all that you can find, they're not exactly chopped liver.

Be aware that Energizer has moved to a different lime green/foil wrapper for some different batteries, which aren't the same quality as the above.

Chris

ROBERT29

Newly Enlightened
I've used a few quads of the green/foil/chrome AA/AAA Energizer 2300/850 (900?) Made In Japan rechargeable batteries for many years, even breaking in two new AA quads a few months back and they work well and are LSD in nature.

I'm not saying that I'd buy them over the the Iron Core Duracells now, because they're a bit more money, however I believe them to be good stuff and if that's all that you can find, they're not exactly chopped liver.

Be aware that Energizer has moved to a different lime green/foil wrapper for some different batteries, which aren't the same quality as the above.

Chris

I'm guessing the "green/foil/chrome AA/AAA Energizer 2300/850" is the Power Plus line, and the "different lime green/foil wrapper" is the Universal line designed for "frequent recharging".

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
ToysRUs is still showing these (AA Ion Core) online at $8.99 for a 4pack. I am going to price match tomorrow at Walmart.

P.S. Walmart restricts their online price matching to the following vendors:

*Online retailers are limited to: Academy.com, Amazon.com, Autozone.com, Babiesrus.com, Basspro.com, Bedbathandbeyond.com, Bestbuy.com, Cabelas.com, ****ssportinggoods.com, Dollargeneral.com, Familydollar.com, Homedepot.com, Jcpenny.com, Kmart.com, Kohls.com, Lowes.com, Michaels.com, Newegg.com, Officedepot.com, Oreillyauto.com, Pepboys.com, Petco.com, Petsmart.com, Sears.com, SportsAuthority.com, Staples.com, Target.com, Tigerdirect.com, Toysrus.com, Walgreens.com, Walmart.com

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
ToysRUs is still showing these (AA Ion Core) online at $8.99 for a 4pack. I am going to price match tomorrow at Walmart.

Good to see these Ion-Core AA (suspected re-badged Eneloop XX gen2 or later) can still be had at bargain prices -
eBay still has listings at $8.99/4pk with free shipping -
ie: no sales tax and no gas wastage.

best,

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing the "green/foil/chrome AA/AAA Energizer 2300/850" is the Power Plus line, and the "different lime green/foil wrapper" is the Universal line designed for "frequent recharging".

The chrome foil with green batteries have 'made in Japan' on them and are a low self discharge type. They are 2300mAh and 850mAh for the AAAs.

I don't believe any of the other Energizer (lime green/silver) are made in Japan.

Chris

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some of those Energizers 2300 Recharge power plus that are dated Jan 2013 and was charged. They are in need of refreshing which i plan on doing when the year ends/new year. I wish Duracell would put a manufacture date on their rechargeables, not sure if that code, serial number or whatever it is has some sort of date on it but i can't tell how old they are.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some of those Energizers 2300 Recharge power plus that are dated Jan 2013 and was charged. They are in need of refreshing which i plan on doing when the year ends/new year. I wish Duracell would put a manufacture date on their rechargeables, not sure if that code, serial number or whatever it is has some sort of date on it but i can't tell how old they are.

I like the 2300 silver foils and I've had good luck with both the AAs and the AAAs over the years. I've worn out a few quads of both, but I'm now using three quads of AAs with the code: 'CO 6-10 LR' which I got probably back in 2010 and let sit in their blister packs until I broke them out and started using them.

I think that '6-10' might be June 2010.

Chris

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
ToysRUs is still showing these (AA Ion Core) online at $8.99 for a 4pack. I am going to price match tomorrow at Walmart………..

I was able to get a price match at my local Walmart today, after showing them a printout from the toysrus web page. But the cashier did pull out a 4" magnifying glass, and took a very close look at my color printout, as if it were a counterfeit $1000 bill. :laughing:

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 2300 silver foils and I've had good luck with both the AAs and the AAAs over the years. I've worn out a few quads of both, but I'm now using three quads of AAs with the code: 'CO 6-10 LR' which I got probably back in 2010 and let sit in their blister packs until I broke them out and started using them.

I think that '6-10' might be June 2010.

Chris

I like the AAA Energizers i got in 2006, good to know that Energizer does have some quality rechargeable batteries. I do take Eneloops over any other brand but Duracells are in 2nd place while Energizers get 3rd. So far the AA Energizers i got work pretty well. I am pretty easy on them so they should get plenty of use.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I removed the 4 batteries from my newly purchased package of AA ion core Duracells, and put them in the C9000 charger for a 400mA discharge cycle. The average capacity was 1043mAh, which is 43.5% of 2400mAh. The package is dated 2014.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I removed the 4 batteries from my newly purchased package of AA ion core Duracells, and put them in the C9000 charger for a 400mA discharge cycle. The average capacity was 1043mAh, which is 43.5% of 2400mAh. The package is dated 2014.

We think that Eneloops leave the factory at a 70% charge, so you lost about 26% if that's correct. It could be even less than 70%.

Do a break in and see what you see.

My first four out of the pack read 1.298v, 1.298v, 1.297v and 1.297v. Using a 200mA discharge, I got 1158mAh, 1155mAh, 1150mAh and 1147mAh. After breaking in, I got 2502mAh, 2473mAh, 2455mAh and 2486mAh.

For my second quad, I failed to record the initial voltages, but got 1104mAh, 1096mAh, 1086mAh and 1091mAh, so a bit less than the first quad.

After breaking them in, I got 2486mAh, 2462mAh, 2432mAh and 2461mAh.

This last quad has been sitting for almost 11 months and I'll do a discharge on 1/5/15, at the year mark to let everybody know what amount was lost over that year.

Chris

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
We think that Eneloops leave the factory at a 70% charge, so you lost about 26% if that's correct. It could be even less than 70%.

Do a break in and see what you see.

My first four out of the pack read 1.298v, 1.298v, 1.297v and 1.297v. Using a 200mA discharge, I got 1158mAh, 1155mAh, 1150mAh and 1147mAh. After breaking in, I got 2502mAh, 2473mAh, 2455mAh and 2486mAh.

For my second quad, I failed to record the initial voltages, but got 1104mAh, 1096mAh, 1086mAh and 1091mAh, so a bit less than the first quad.

After breaking them in, I got 2486mAh, 2462mAh, 2432mAh and 2461mAh.

This last quad has been sitting for almost 11 months and I'll do a discharge on 1/5/15, at the year mark to let everybody know what amount was lost over that year.

It appears that the Duracell Ion-Core AA (re-badged Eneloop XX) may come pre-charged at around 50% of capacity?
I tested the initial remaining capacities of 10x AA - and they hovered around 1,000mAh (Maha C9000 @ 0.2C = ~500mA discharge).

NLee the Engineer over at Amazon reviews got around 1,220mAh (he uses a LaCross BC1000),
[FWIW he also tested the Eneloop XX and got about 1,000mAh initial out of the pack capacity]

Your own readings were averaging around 1,120mAh (200mA discharge)

Last edited:

MarioJP

Enlightened
I just got these batteries on sale. Bought 2 packs. Are you guys are saying these cells are eneloop XX? How can this be if Enloop pro/XX are expensive. Too good to be true?