Duracell Ion Core AA & AAA

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got these batteries on sale. Bought 2 packs. Are you guys are saying these cells are eneloop XX? How can this be if Enloop pro/XX are expensive. Too good to be true?

Have you ever seen Sanyo Eneloops, or Panasonic Eneloops in a brick and mortar store, before?

I'm in Miami and travel a lot to Los Angeles and San Francisco and except for a Wolf Camera store and Costco, I've never seen them sold at retail. The Eneloops really have no recognition, nor do they have ANY real market penetration to speak of, outside of boutique flashlight guys, some tech geeks and perhaps some astute photographers.

And Panasonic and Sanyo are two highly visible and trusted names here in America, so it's not that.

Now, put a Duracell wrapper on your XX/Pros and Gen. 2 Eneloops and stick blister packs in every freakin' Target, Walmart, K-Mart, Home Depot, Toys-R-Us, Walgreens and CVS drug stores in the country and you have a lot of units being sold at retail.

Not too hard to cut Duracell a price break, so they can sell them for cheaper than we'd buy the XX/Pros.

When they first hit the US market a few years back, $20 for a quad of XX/Pro AAs was a good price and they've dropped a bit, but if the Iron Cores are in fact Eneloop XX/Pros, then $8.99-$10.99 is a pretty substantial savings on even a few packs, compared to buying Panasonic wrapped batteries.

Chris

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I removed the 4 batteries from my newly purchased package of AA ion core Duracells, and put them in the C9000 charger for a 400mA discharge cycle. The average capacity was 1043mAh, which is 43.5% of 2400mAh. The package is dated 2014.

After a 1.2A charge, and a 300mA discharge, my capacities were 2462, 2497, 2498, and 2504 mAh.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever seen Sanyo Eneloops, or Panasonic Eneloops in a brick and mortar store, before?

I'm in Miami and travel a lot to Los Angeles and San Francisco and except for a Wolf Camera store and Costco, I've never seen them sold at retail. The Eneloops really have no recognition, nor do they have ANY real market penetration to speak of, outside of boutique flashlight guys, some tech geeks and perhaps some astute photographers.

And Panasonic and Sanyo are two highly visible and trusted names here in America, so it's not that.

Now, put a Duracell wrapper on your XX/Pros and Gen. 2 Eneloops and stick blister packs in every freakin' Target, Walmart, K-Mart, Home Depot, Toys-R-Us, Walgreens and CVS drug stores in the country and you have a lot of units being sold at retail.

Not too hard to cut Duracell a price break, so they can sell them for cheaper than we'd buy the XX/Pros.

When they first hit the US market a few years back, $20 for a quad of XX/Pro AAs was a good price and they've dropped a bit, but if the Iron Cores are in fact Eneloop XX/Pros, then $8.99-$10.99 is a pretty substantial savings on even a few packs, compared to buying Panasonic wrapped batteries.

Chris

Duracell sells the rebrand Eneloops for less mostly because i think of their charger which is not a bad charger though i am used to having the refresh cycle/break in, LCD screen and being able to charge the batteries individually, ideally though that charger gets to be problematic if you got an odd set of batteries in need of recharging. Duracell knows consumers will replace the batteries after several years (or lose them somewhere) so the company still makes quite a bit of money out of the batteries. Plus i noticed the 2400mAh Duracells come out to a similar price to the regular Eneloops. But like you have said, it's easier to sell Duracell or Energizer batteries than it is to sell some Eneloops that people have never heard of. I'm trying to get people on Eneloops so maybe more recognition for them will happen and a few stores might carry them like Target or Sears. Also showing the smart chargers gets some people interested as well :).

I love ringing people up at work that have any rechargeable batteries in their carts, i always recognize that:thanks: and that's what counts!!

MarioJP

Enlightened
I still see people buy alkalines instead of rechargeables. This is 2014. I guess they don't mind when these cells leaks and ruins their devices.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got 4 Duracell Ion Core AA batteries with a purchase awhile back. I didn't go out of my way to buy them but was curious about their performance. First of all, my experience with Duracell NiMh batteries from several years back wasn't very good. That was back in the day when Energizer was having Sanyo make their NiMh rechargeable batteries and before Eneloop really took off. I don't know who made those rechargeable Duracells but they worked horrible. So you can see my skepticism. 2 weeks after I would charge them and just left them on the bench...........they were flat.

OK so this is what I did. I charged up an Eneloop (2000mAh) and one of these new Duracell Ion Core (2400mAh) on the same charger and then I let them sit on the bench outside the charger for one month without being used. Then I tested them with a Sunwayman V11R (with AA extender) on max output to see if there was much self discharge. What I found out is that these Duracell Ion Cores are pretty dang good. I think the premise is that they might be Eneloop XX's?

The run time test was done with an Extech HD450 data logging light meter and my homemade light box........so the reference point for both tests is the same.........the only difference thus being the batteries.

ZQaIv6y.png

Bright+

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have the performance data on these after a full charge and sitting around for about a month and discharged at 1A in sessions?

Something like a camera can sit around unused for like a month, but if you decide you want to take a bunch of pictures one day, you want it to be ready to use.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Can't answer the 1A session question but my experience has been that these are comparable to the Eneloops as far as holding a charge goes.

Does anyone have the performance data on these after a full charge and sitting around for about a month and discharged at 1A in sessions?

Something like a camera can sit around unused for like a month, but if you decide you want to take a bunch of pictures one day, you want it to be ready to use.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
discharged at 1A in sessions?

I'll attempt an inferred answer - if we look at the graph posted by
hiuintahs in post #46 above in this thread -
the Eneloop curve lasts just under 1 hour by the time the light output becomes insignificant.
borrowed, re-hosted and posted here:

This hints at the current being draw at about 2Amps -

Now if we look at the eneloop discharge graph posted by
SilverFox in post #1 of Thread: NiMh Battery Shoot Out -
which I'll borrow re-host and post here:

The green curve is the 2Amp discharge and the time was 54.2mins.

So this confirms that the Sunwayman V11R (with AA extender) on max output used by hiuintahs draws about on average 2Amps -

Now look at the other curve on hiuintahs graph of the Duracell Ion-Core AA -
it not only lasted longer under the same conditions
but over the entire period of time it gave higher light output than the regular eneloop.

Using 50% of initial steady state relative brightness level (about 4500 units on vertical axis) regular Eneloop lasted about 50mins and the Duracell Ion-Core AA lasted about 60mins - which is 20% longer
if we use 2000mAh as the regular Eneloop capacity, this means the Duracell Ion-Core AA capacity would be approx 2400mAh -
that is not even taking into account the light output was higher over the entire period which ought to mean >20% total energy/power.

So I would infer that the Duracell Ion-Core under approx 2Amp draw conditions out-performs a regular Eneloop - with 20% more capacity under practical usage conditions.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prices -

eBay has some fabulous prices -
many from earlier days are suspicious of fleaBay listings -
but my take:
both eBay and the most common payment method PayPal -
offer protection on any purchase.

I have used both to satisfactorily settle disputes, or recover monies.

There is a trick to finding Duracell Ion-Core eBay listings -
the obvious search for "Duracell Ion-Core" AA or AAA
then sort by Price + Shipping: lowest first
will find listings.

But may miss some other lower prices -
broaden the search to "Duracell Rechargeable" AA or AAA -
yes, this will list a lot that are not Ion-Core -
but there are many Ion-Core listings that do not have the words Ion-Core in the heading
so are missed in the first "obvious" search.

I use the pictures to identify the Ion-Core listings
and then read the description carefully to ensure the item is the Duracell Ion-Core.

Using this I have found listings that were Duracell (Ion-Core) at:

AA: $12.50 +Free shipping for 2x 4pack = $6.25/4-pk AA
and
AAA: $10.50 +Free shipping for 2x 4pack = $5.25/4-pk AAA

The description and photos confirm these were Ion-Core AA and AAA

At this time of posting:
AA have just 2 available
AAA 6 available

Hint: search on "Duracell ProPay" -
this vendor uses ProPay for payment -
I had never heard of ProPay before -
but I checked, ProPay is a legitimate and eBay approved payment method.
(I have no affiliation with the listings or vendor)

Good luck.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good analysis UnknownVT :thumbsup:.

After seeing the performance of the Ion-core AA compared to the Eneloop, I wanted some AAA Ion-cores but upon further reading of "NLee The Engineer" with an Amazon review............he didn't think the AAA's were rebranded Eneloop XX's........but rather just the regular Eneloops.

"'Ion Core' = either Sanyo XX (AA) or Sanyo eneloop (AAA)"

So I elected to go with the Eneloop XX AAA's or I guess they are now Panasonic Pros. I agree, you have to know what you are buying when it comes to the Duracell rechargeable batteries.

Edit: whoops, didn't realize you were the original poster.......and already figured out that the Ion core AAA's were not Eneloop XX's!

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prices - eBay has some fabulous prices -
...I have found listings that were Duracell (Ion-Core) at:
AA: $12.50 +Free shipping for 2x 4pack = $6.25/4-pk AA
AAA: $10.50 +Free shipping for 2x 4pack = $5.25/4-pk AAA
Hint: search on "Duracell ProPay"

Those price are so good that I bought and just received 2x 4-pk Ion Core AA.

They're real -

Made in Japan

Embossed code:

If anyone knows how to decode these - please share?

Back of pack (both the same):

these are marked © 2014

I've already done initial out of the pack capacity -
all the initial open-circuit voltages were 1.29V.
Initial under-load voltages (reading from charger discharge mode):
Maha/PowerEX C9000 (#11-14) 1.20V
Opus BT-C3100 v2.1 (#15-18) 1.27V
(notice the difference in charger readings)

# mAh
11 1014 }
12 1019 } using Maha/PowerEX C9000
13 1023 } discharge @ 500mA
14 1020 }

15 1043 }
16 1085 } using Opus BT-C3100 v2.1
17 1057 } discharge @ 500mA
18 1108 }

The initial remaining capacity using the same discharge current of 500mA (~= 0.2C)
seems to be different for the different chargers.

Using test/refresh & analyze cycle for their first full capacity -

# mAh
11 2363 }
12 2384 } using Maha/PowerEX C9000
13 2373 } charge 1200mA, discharge 500mA
14 2342 }

15 2443 }
16 2490 } using Opus BT-C3100 v2.1
17 2579 } charge 1000mA, discharge 700mA (Note: Opus settings cannot be varied)
18 2510 }

Again noticeably different capacities from the different chargers.
Also set # 11-14 1st full capacity using the Maha C9000 seems lower than my other Ion-Core AAs (packs marked ©2013) which were tested in the same charger/analyzer.

Last edited:

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the date code, 4114------- might mean week 41 of the year 2014. Just a guess.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the date code, 4114------- might mean week 41 of the year 2014. Just a guess.
Cool! seems like a sensible guess.
But unfortunately it doesn't seem to apply to my previous Ion-Core AAs:

1-4 : 30648676A2
5-6 : 30528676A1
7-10: 31398676LL

Thanks

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2013 on the package of my set of Ion Core Duracells. Got them in August of this year. Never could figure out the date codes, the batteries i have all start off at 319. It's nice to know at least the package gives out the year.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2013 on the package of my set of Ion Core Duracells. Got them in August of this year. Never could figure out the date codes, the batteries i have all start off at 319. It's nice to know at least the package gives out the year.
Although this may seem to be the case for now - the copyright year - I think really is only for the package design change.

If there is no change in package design we could be stuck with whatever the most recent change year.

Although we can't seem to make head or tail out of the embossed code -
if they contain a date of some sort -
that would be the most reliable.

Failing that the package copyright - seems like the best we can do -
but there's nothing preventing very old stock being packaged in the most current pack......

Looking at the 18 Ion-Core AA I have they are:

7-10: 31398676LL
11-18: 41148676ON (is that an "O" or zero?)

Out of the sample of 18 the numerals seem to end in 8676

So perhaps the first 4 numerals are the significant?
The first numeral might be the last digit of the year?
If that is right - then what are the next 3 digits?
What about the trailing characters? are they alpha for the second to last -
my most recent is kind of indeterminate it could be an "O" or zero - here's the pic again:

Hopefully it is not adding confusion - the only 2 Ion-Core AAA I have - seem to have similar codes -

codes for these AAA = 30518676AN
The packs were © 2013 so starting with 3 appears to be consistent, so far....
and the last 4 numerals were also 8676 like in the AAs.

Any ideas?

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnknownVT, it's difficult to tell but i wonder if '3' means 2013 and the last 3 digits might be the day (counting days, not months or weeks) it was manufactured. Also the last 2 digits might just be letters so that looks like an O to me, which i'm guessing is reserved for the production code.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnknownVT, it's difficult to tell but i wonder if '3' means 2013 and the last 3 digits might be the day (counting days, not months or weeks) it was manufactured. Also the last 2 digits might just be letters so that looks like an O to me, which i'm guessing is reserved for the production code.

Thanks, those have been my thoughts too -
first numeral is the last digit of the year 3=2013, 4=2014
and the next 3 numerals might be the day number.

We can check this "guess" as the number cannot exceed 365 or 366 (leap year)
so if anyone has a number of the second 3 digits >= 366 please let us know to dispel this assumption.

The last two characters can contain numbers as in the codes of my first 6 Ion-Core AA:

That's why I was uncertain of my latest batch of 8 Ion-Core AA code having an "O" or zero
please look at the photo to discern -

and not my typing of the characters, as I typed the letter "O".

FWIW - here are the two Ion-Core AA from my first 2 batches with 0 (zeros) as part of the first 4 numerals
(to compare with that indeterminate "O" or zero from my latest batch above)
and the ending/last characters are numerals:

Thanks, and any other suggestions?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those price are so good that I bought and just received 2x 4-pk Ion Core AA.
They're real -

I also bought and just received 2x 4-pk of the Ion-Core AAA. (ordered off eBay Dec/1 @ $10.50 ie: $5.25/4-pk AAA)
Please remember only the Ion-Core AA are reputed to be re-badged Eneloop XX
The Ion-Core AAA are "merely" re-badged regular Eneloops 2nd gen or later.

Again they are real -
Packages:

Marked on the batteries made in Japan:

Embossed codes:

Codes:
32858676HF
40938676Y4

If our best guess so far is the first digital is the year as in 3=2013, 4=2014
and the next 3 digital the day of the year -
it seems one pack is fairly late 2013 and other is 2014.
(Please note: not definitive but merely our best Guesses)

But the back of the packs were the same:

both were: © 2013.
(this shows that the year on the pack may not truly reflect the year of manufacture of the actual batteries inside -
that is if our assumption of the first digit being the year is right.)

These batteries are being discharged right now to get the initial out-of the pack remaining charge.

I forgot to take the open-circuit voltages but the under-load voltage as initially shown by the charger/analyzers I am using
(@ 200mA discharge) were

#s Initial under-load voltage for discharge @ 200mA)
3-6 - 1.16-1.17V (code: 32858676HF)
7-9 - 1.27V (code: 40938676Y4)
10 - 1.29V (code: 40938676Y4)

Again significant difference between the Maha/PowerEX C9000 (#3-6)
and the Opus BT-C3100 v2.1 (#6-9 - note: no #10 yet, as I only use 3 slots on this charger)

So far:

Initial out of the pack capacity (discharge @ 200mA =~ 0.2C)

# mAh
3 516 }
4 519 } using Maha/PowerEX C9000
5 518 } discharge @ 200mA
6 517 }

7 378 }
8 399 } using Opus BT-C3100 v2.1
9 383 } discharge @ 200mA
10 384}

Note:
#3-6 code: 32858676HF
#7-10 code: 40938676Y4

Notice how much more initial out of pack capacity the first set #3-6 (code: 32858676HF) has over #7-10 (code: 40938676Y4)
In test of my most recent 8x Ion-Core AA in post #52 above - the Maha/PowerEX C9000 gave slightly lower readings, than the Opus BT-C3100 v2.1 for the same code AA's.

Because of possible difference in readings between my two charger/analyzers -
I've sort of mixed it up for these Ion-Core AAA for the full capacity test -
for Maha/PowerEX C9000 refresh & analyze on #3-5 and #9 (different embossed codes).
intend to use the Test cycle of the Opus on #7,8,10 and #6 for the full capacity.

Update: (note: the text below is pasted from post #67)

First full capacity test:

# mAh (full Capacity)
3 749 }
4 758 } using Maha/PowerEX C9000 R&A charge 400mA, discharge 200mA
5 753 }
6 767 > using Opus BT-C3100 v2.1 Test mode charge 500mA, discharge 500mA (cannot vary Opus settings)

7 836 }
8 902 } using Opus BT-C3100 v2.1 Test mode charge 500mA, discharge 500mA (cannot vary Opus settings)
10 825 }
9* 829 > using Maha/PowerEX C9000 R&A charge 400mA, discharge 200mA

It seems the second set #7-10 (code: 40938676Y4) measures noticeably higher full capacity than the first set #3-6 (code: 32858676HF)

Set #3-6 (code: 32858676HF) results are a bit lower but seems to be in line with my very first 2 Ion-Core AAA (code: 30518676AN) (see post #1)

============================================
SPECULATION: (Please note: this is not anything definitive)

Based on the assumption the embossed codes have some relation with date of production
(best guess: the first digit is the year as in 3=2013, 4=2014;
the next 3 digits may be the day in the year.)

So my first 2 AAA -
#1-2 (code: 30518676AN) were 2013, day 51

these most recent 2x 4-pks:
#3-6 (code: 32858676HF) are 2013, day 285
#7-10 (code: 40938676Y4) are 2014, day 093

It would seem that the later production for Ion-Core AAA marked 4093 come pre-charged with less than 50% of their full capacity
BUT they seem to have noticeably higher full capacity than those marked 3285 under test.

Therefore my speculation is from about the start of code 40... Ion-Core AAA may have changed to a different/later(?) generation of standard Eneloop AAA

Of course all this is based on very limited sample of 10 Ion-Core AAA.

But anyone else with Ion-Core AAA please check the embossed codes and see if codes starting with 40 and later are actually like mine?

Thanks,

Last edited:

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
I requested a pack of these AA's for Xmas so if I get them I will post back here.