EA8, you gotta really love AAs

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay. This quote pretty much illustrates my point.

First, lets look at the "readily available" myth.

<snip>

So, then we need to use Eneloops, which aren't so "readily available" anywhere, and you normally have to order some.

<snip>

So, AA batteries are not available in emergencies.
This is a good case for saying that AA would be the WORST possible choice of any battery type for emergency use.

<snip>

Just to correct some misunderstandings about the availability of rechargeable AA cells:

In the US, any Walmart, Samsclub, Costco, etc. etc. carries rechargeable AA cells plus chargers. ie: Costco carries Eneloop or rebranded Eneloop cells.

Any main-line store in Germany, Austria or Switzerland has rechargeable AA cells & chargers, often Accu-cells or Eneloop. More specifically, MediaMarkt normally carries the Eneloop line of AA/AAA cells with a variety of Sanyo chargers.

rechargeable AA cells are readily available.

jbrett14

Enlightened

i just wanted to ask you AA battery people if this light is getting a little to much when it comes to batteries, or is it not even close to what you would accept as getting too ridiculous.

I think it's too much. 4 would be my limit, and even that is kind of a pain to deal with. I have grown to love the single cell lights, but I can tolerate a 2 cell light, depending on use.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I not only have one light that runs on 8-AA's, I also have a light that runs on 6-AA's as well. Also 3 lights that run on 1-AA. Nonetheless, I see no reason to keep 6 spare batteries for the 6-AA light, 8 spare AA's for the 8-AA light and 3 more AA's for the single AA lights. I also have only 1 Nitecore I4 charger. But since I dont use all 5 AA lights at the same time, I dont need to keep the 17 batteries in the lights, and 17 extra batteries. If we had a power outage I'd use 1 or 2 AA lights at a time and then switch to CR123, AAA or 18650 lights.

Unless the EA8 is to absolutely be your only light, or just one of 2 or 3 lights, then I dont think you need a whole lot of extra AA's, at least not at first.

markr6

Flashaholic
What's to lose?

Light weight and smaller size. Can't pocket this hoss!

I know I'm playing devils advocate, but it's true. I like both AAs and 18650 so no real strong argument here, just embrace both and select the right tool for the job.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
For me, the loser is form factor. EIGHT AA's is ridiculous.

For the same power and run time, you could have an 18650 light be smaller and lighter, and recharge it, instead of filling landfills with dead disposable cells.

I agree with the emergency availability vs normal availability issues mentioned.

AA, AAA, C, D, etc, are always available just about everywhere, as long as there's no emergency.

As soon as TSHTF, people run out in a panic, and buy everything off the shelves that they can imagine needing.

So, if you have rechargeable cells, you don't need to run to wally world when a storm is coming in, etc....you already have everything you need for the emergency...as you don't use disposable batteries/need more, etc.

Less popular sizes, 123's, etc, are either not on the shelf to start with, or, ar left behind as the panicked shoppers don't recognize them as anything they might need.

Disposable 123's are no bargain either though...so, again, the rechargeables are better in these scenarios.

If you HAVE TO have AA format power, at least get Nimh's ferchrissakes. With rechargeables, the run time is less of a concern, as you can swap in a fresh set and recharge the drained ones: Its not like you have to throw them out. (Just get enough to do swaps, etc)

Nimh's also typically provide more amps for a longer time than the alka-leaks.

Also, in case of emergency - your light might WORK if its not corroded by a leaking battery. :D

If you need to store a light a long time, the newer Nimh's can hold a charge for years, and the primary lithium ion cells can hold a charge over 10 years....as a plan C.

:D

fireonhigh

Newly Enlightened
Light weight and smaller size. Can't pocket this hoss!

I know I'm playing devils advocate, but it's true. I like both AAs and 18650 so no real strong argument here, just embrace both and select the right tool for the job.

or if nitecore made a specific batt. for the ea4/ea8/ ftw!!!!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's good to have options, I've tried all sorts of battery configurations, and there is definitely a market for the multi AA light. It's not for everyone, just as not everyone likes rechargeables. The right to choose what we prefer, is why there are so many great lights out today :D

holylight

Enlightened
I mentioned in another thread that 8 cells is becoming a bit much for me...on to something using 18650 Li-Ions. But if someone already has a Maha MH-C801D, this would be a nice setup with Eneloops. I'm not saying a beginner should go buy $200+ worth of gear though.

+1

njet212

Enlightened
I will go for 3 X 18650 or 4 x 18650 which has more battery juice instead of 8 x AA.
8 X AA flashlight like mentioned above is just way too many battery, but that's just me.

slow2go

Newly Enlightened
Same output as the EA4
Just alot more AA's.. I don't get it
If you need more run time go with one with 18650's
Just my 2 cent

tickled

Newly Enlightened
Yes, I agree that single 18650 Li-Ion would be a rare sight in a B&M store. No argument there. But pretty much every common device now operating on batteries for any significant power supply, such as cell phone, laptop, camera, etc, are all running on Li-Ion batteries. And it's for a reason.
No one is going to be ripping open their gadget batteries to stuff a cell into a light in a pinch. Anyway I would argue that device size and weight is probably the main reason. That's not as big a deal with a flashlight that you would keep around the home. TBH I don't see what's so onerous about charging eight cells when monitoring multiple lithium ion cells can be just as annoying.

Kokopelli

Enlightened
I have a TK41 (8xAA), a S65 (6xAA), a EA4 (4xAA), a LD40 (4xAA) and many many 2xAA and 1xAA lights. Not that I don't have 1xCR123 or 2xCR123 (18650) lights.

I like the fact that you can find quality LSD rechargeable batteries and chargers everywhere, even at the market next to your house. Especially LSD batteries make very good emergency lights as they don't discharge in a few months. I still keep 2xCR123 lights for cold winter days and in trunks or my cars as they almost never discharge or freeze.

The only downside with multi AA lights has been that they required a battery holder which usually was the weakest part of the light, hard to put batteries in and out, easy to drop. With EA4 I saw a great method stacking in 4xAAs, using body to keep them at their places. Without a holder I can fill my light much easier and the light is much smaller too. I don't find useful to keep spares in 8xAA of 6xAA as you'll have hard time keeping them matched but still as others stated, a 8xAA pack makes a power source even more powerful than a regular 2x18650 pack. So for the same or shorter length you can get a greatly powerful light without the fire breathing dragons, liIon cells :)

---
Kokopelli, Istanbul, Turkey

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the 8 years that I have been a member of this forum, I have NEVER seen ANYONE recommend using ANY alkaline battery in any flashlight for any reason. This is because they are commonly called "alka-leaks" and they destroy your flashlight. So, never use any of them. That pretty much does away with the "readily available" part, because no thinking person would EVER put one of those into his flashlight, if he ever wants to see his light working again. Only beginners would ever contemplate such a thing.

The true advantage I can see with AAs are that you have three options: alkaline, NiMh, lithium, and sometimes a fourth: 14500.

I actually still use alkalines in some of my lights. For every AA-flashlight I take in consider the possibility to use it also with alkalines. For high output lights(with no low mode) I see no reason to use AAs when I can use CR123, 17670, 18500 or 18650 instead. Yes, I have Malkoff M31W runned by 2AA but that is most for fun, the regulated runtime is around 30min with alkalines while Eneloops provided 70min according to my test. For M31WL I measured 80min with alkalines and with M31LL more than 5 hours. I can get better result with NiMh and L91 but my justification of using alkalines is that I don't need to be worry of damaging them because of overdisharging(unless of the reason of leaking, but I have not experienced that yet).

Cheap alkalines provide more lumen-hours for the price than lithiums at moderate outputs like with M31LL, Surefire E2L AA and maybe also M31WL. For moderate outputs I personally therefore find it justified with alkalines. But I use to remove them from a light if I will not use it for a while, even if it happens now and then that I forget it...

Apart from that I still don't object to your warning of using alkalines because of the leaking risk; I know that they will leak before or later, and I have actually seen example of leaked unused alkalines in unopen box, and with the best-before date not passed. So I understand I should be even more careful with alkalines...

Last edited:

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, in my country, very few stores sell 18650s, CR123As and the like. Very hard to find. There is only one store in my state that I could find selling these batteries. AA, AAA, D alkaline batteries are sold at almost every little shop. Heck, even Energizer L91 Lithiums and rechargeables are common. Which is why I got to stick to more common batteries.

It isn't that bad actually with new lights coming out that are as powerful as those running on 18650s while maintaining a decent size. I am eager for the Eagletac GX25A3 putting out 915 ANSI lumens running on 3 AA batteries. It even supports 14500s! Can't wait!

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry, posted wrongly so please look at my post just below...

Last edited:

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a TK41 (8xAA), a S65 (6xAA), a EA4 (4xAA), a LD40 (4xAA) and many many 2xAA and 1xAA lights. Not that I don't have 1xCR123 or 2xCR123 (18650) lights.

I like the fact that you can find quality LSD rechargeable batteries and chargers everywhere, even at the market next to your house. Especially LSD batteries make very good emergency lights as they don't discharge in a few months. I still keep 2xCR123 lights for cold winter days and in trunks or my cars as they almost never discharge or freeze.

The only downside with multi AA lights has been that they required a battery holder which usually was the weakest part of the light, hard to put batteries in and out, easy to drop. With EA4 I saw a great method stacking in 4xAAs, using body to keep them at their places. Without a holder I can fill my light much easier and the light is much smaller too. I don't find useful to keep spares in 8xAA of 6xAA as you'll have hard time keeping them matched but still as others stated, a 8xAA pack makes a power source even more powerful than a regular 2x18650 pack. So for the same or shorter length you can get a greatly powerful light without the fire breathing dragons, liIon cells :)

---
Kokopelli, Istanbul, Turkey

Then I think you might like the Eagletac SX25A6 (uses 6xAA) and GX25A3 (uses 3xAA). The SX25A6 with the new XM-L2 U2 emitter will put out 1049 ANSI lumens with a 396 meter throw. Too bad only a few older models of Eagletac and Zebralight are available in my country. The store I purchased my lights from are more focused on selling Fenix stuff. No Nitecore, no Surefire, no 4Sevens, etc.

Last edited:

holylight

Enlightened
Then I think you might like the Eagletac SX25A6 (uses 6xAA) and GX25A3 (uses 3xAA). The SX25A6 with the new XM-L2 U2 emitter will put out 1049 ANSI lumens with a 396 meter throw. Too bad only a few older models of Eagletac and Zebralight are available in my country. The store I purchased my lights from are more focused on selling Fenix stuff. No Nitecore, no Surefire, no 4Sevens, etc.

o that's bad. have u try ebay? I got mine all from there :D