"Earth Hour" & flashaholics?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, we have a malkoff M60WL on an 18650 bouncing off the ceiling, a glo-toob lithium in the bathroom and the wife is wearing a petzl e+lite while eating pasta (she said this was "fun").

Earth hour RULES!!!

edc3

Enlightened
...this is turning into a pointless, but inordinately fun exercise in lumen squandrage. I think my kitchen illumination is actually using even more power than it normally does...

Lumen squandrage! I like that. :crackup:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I'd like to participate just to show my neighbors how dark the street would be without me; I'm the only house on our cul de sac that leaves their outdoor lights on overnight (a trio of 26w/100w equiv lights), so I basically provide light for the entire area.

There's also a streetlight that's in front of my house - this nicely pours more lumens on top of what's already in my yard, but there's no way to turn it off. I've tried pointing the hotspot of the Stanley HID directly at the photo-switch, but apparently the streetlight manufacturers have done their homework.

Any ideas?

No legal ideas anyway! hahaha

I'm fortunate in this regard. No street lights where I live, and for the most part it's pitch black outside in my neighbourhood, and definitely on my property. Need flashlights for all outdoor activities here!

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using flashlights tonight the way I always do. I'm using interior lights tonight the way I always do. My outside light is on. In fact, all of the lights in my block are on. It doesn't seem to be much of an event in my neighborhood.

Last edited:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I'm using flashlights tonight the way I always do. I'm using interior lights tonight the way I always do. My outside light is on. All of the lights in my block are on.

My street was mostly black, as it usually is.

I turned off our upstairs lights as I often do, since we mostly hang out in our basement (which is our main living room!).

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Completely forgot about it. Guess I'll be getting a letter from the eco-patrol. Well, I more than made up for it earlier this week by going a couple days not turning on lights while my wife was out of town.

Geoff

callmaster

Enlightened
I was out for dinner during Earth hour. The restaurant didn't switch off the lights. Would have been hard to eat if it did :p

As it is, just a block away there's this consortium of shopping malls, medical centers and hotels, etc that shut down everything cept for their most important hardware,etc so that place was pretty dark. Too bad I missed it though. I had 3 lights on me for dinner.

zx7dave

Enlightened
19 Surefires, all bored out and running 18650's, some Milky's, some Malkoff's all tail-standing at various points around the house...I have to say I think it is brighter than when I run my normal lights....definately enjoying my Earth Hour (brought to you by a laptop on battery power and a wireless air card). Enjoy all...

ackbar

Enlightened
I was in Starbucks with the guys tonight just before earth hour and some random guy came up to us asked what was the best light to get under 20 bucks :sigh:

We did walk around the High Park area during earth hour and I personally wasn't that impressed with the turnout. still WAY TOO MANY LIGHTS ON :(

The actual hike inside High Park was awesome as usual tho. :D

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
....during earth hour and I personally wasn't that impressed with the turnout. still WAY TOO MANY LIGHTS ON :(...
I can only assume that since that post has been up for 11 hours and the poster has not been admonished for injecting his political views...what he said must not be political. Cool. It's good to know where the boundries are.

I think that there were WAY TOO FEW LIGHTS ON last night :sigh:

Last edited:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can only assume that since that post has been up for 11 hours and the poster has not been admonished for injecting his political views...what he said must not be political. Cool. It's good to know where the boundries are.
That's not political; that's just common sense. All lights should be out, so our flashlights show up better!

I think that there were WAY TOO FEW LIGHTS ON last night :sigh:
THAT's not political, either; that's SACRILEGE. :nana:

(Seriously, from the context, I think the motivation was cool-chance-to-play-with-flashlights-foiled rather than political. Your comment, otoh, has no obvious motivation... :thinking:)

Superdave

Enlightened
I had my P7 mag on low and in candle mode on my coffee table. was plenty of light. :)

after an hour the heatsink wasn't even warm.. lol

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Earth hour was a bust in Hamilton.
Earth-hour-2009.jpg

So I grabbed my P7 M@g and went for a stroll. Did not need it.:sigh:

bloke-gear.com

Newly Enlightened
Was a good chance to drain the remaining life out of some partially used CR123A's. Can't wait for the next one.

cistallus

Enlightened
And ... it's here again - March 26, 8:30pm local time (per earthhour.org) - any excuse to play with lights! For a whole hour! :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Shouldn't be surprised that so many parts of NYC are participating in an event of pure symbolism over substance. Once Earth Hour is over, everything will go back to the way it was. Nothing will have changed for the better. But at least two groups of folks will feel better....

Flashaholics, for really getting a chance to use our lights. And everyone else... for feeling better about themselves, despite not actually having done anything regarding energy conservation.

Just wanted to re-mention all of that.

My opinion hasn't changed from 2 years ago, and never will. I can say that with confidence.