"Earth Hour" & flashaholics?

BriteIdea

Newly Enlightened
I think, if anything, it might teach the younger generation about awareness and not much more. The average user doesn't understand and the fat cats don't care either.
I feel for the power companies when they realize they have a surplus for an hour and have to readjust and then after Earth Hour is over a new surge begins.

I agree, all for what? I think with the Green movement world wide and our younger generation being sujected to Earth Hour hopefully they can clean up the mess we left.
I do have faith in some of these kids

I think of all my flashlights, I'll only pick one :D

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Earth Hour is a nice symbolic gesture, and hopefully gets people to stop and think about sustainable practices. I think it might be more effective for people to go visit their local electric power plant, especially if it's coal powered, and see exactly how much coal gets burned in a day to generate our power! I regularly see the coal trains come through my area, and think about it all (hundreds of thousands of tons??) being turned into CO2. Not a pleasant thought!

I also pulled up a satellite photo of the power plant in the St. Louis area, where I used to live. It's at Labadie, MO, a bit west of St. Louis, and the size of the coal pile that they keep is amazing! They have a handful of earthmoving machines to handle it, and those machines look quite tiny compared to the pile. Coal is a nasty fuel, and I'd love to see us switch to something renewable. (or just become more efficient users)

regards,

Steve K.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

It's what you do every single day, not just for an hour,
...that's like mobsters going to confession:thinking:
What conscious effort do you make every day to conserve?

I replaced the PSU (80+ Gold) in my computer,
that alone saves an average of 40 Watts every second its On.
That's one thing..

Also:
* Been recycling since about 1990
* Adapted CFLs' as soon as they were available
* Have a 50cc Honda,..lots o'miles (really for fun, but I use for odds & ends)

Last edited:

BriteIdea

Newly Enlightened
+

It's what you do every single day, not just for an hour,
...that's like mobsters going to confession:thinking:
What conscious effort do you make every day to conserve?

I replaced the PSU (80+ Gold) in my computer,
that alone saves an average of 40 Watts every second its On.
That's one thing..

Also:
* Been recycling since about 1990
* Adapted CFLs' as soon as they were available
* Have a 50cc Honda,..lots o'miles (really for fun, but I use for odds & ends)

Well said. In all honesty I think most of us do practice conservation. We're pretty much all CFL bulbs, except the rec-room which has pot-lighting but we keep those down with a dimmer. Sure looking forward to the newer LED household lights (when the price drops a bit)
One added touch that I've had for about two years, and being a ham radio operator, I have lots of other toys on my desk. I have everything desk-top, plugged into a good quality power bar with an off-on push button switch, so when I'm NOT near the desk a flick of the switch and EVERYTHING on my desk-top is turned OFF.
I also have two UPS units with rather large (car sized) gel cel batteries so if the power goes off, much of my house can still be active on a limited basis.
When we take off for vacation I shut a lot of other stuff down and reduced the gas water heater next to nothing. During vacation time, I shut down the UPS units

Latest posts