EDC Thrower

Chris201W

Enlightened
Hello, I currently EDC an Arc-AAA-P and an Inova X5. I'm looking for something to EDC that's small enough to put in my pocket or on a belt holster that has more throw than these lights. My requirements are as follows:

1. LED (this is negotiable, however)
2. similar brightness to SL PP 4AA Lux (I understand that this might not happen, I just want something in this ballpark)
3. takes AAA, AA, or 123 batteries
4. under $100 (I'd prefer if it's more towards $50, being a student, I'm on a tight budget).
5. decent runtime-at least an hour

Basically, I want to EDC a SL PP 4AA, but it's too big. If you recommend the Fenix L1P, please tell me where I can buy it. I haven't been able to find a place.

I'm thinking a G2 w/BOG 3W LED dropin would serve me well, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you currently EDC a Arc AAA and Inova X5, you seem to have an option to go incandescent. The Arc and Inova are in my book, long run time lights, I think now you can go for higher-output lights with less runtime. Just my 2 cents though.

I was testing out a few 2X CR123 incandescents to 2X LED's and can say the playing field has been leveled or am I just spoiled by 500+ lumen lights (SF M6, try to EDC that lol, I don't unless I carry a backpack.)

A few that come to mind are the Surefire E2e with MN03 lamp, L5, or M2/C2/6P/Z2 with P61 lamp OR G&P 9 volt lamp/SF P90 lamp with 2 RCR123's.

Streamlight, TL-2 incadescent or Pelican M6 incandescent also come to mind. To my knowledge the Pelican M6 incandescent is a thrower because of the reflector. I lost mine a long time ago....

Jason

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, on a ~$100 budget, the Surefire E1L is probably the king of single cell LEDs that throw but the sidespill is quite limited. You could save a few dollars by getting a slightly used KL1 head and a Vital Gear body.

The Fenix is a very decent thrower for the money and gets respectable runtime on an NiMH cell. You say you've been unable to find one for sale? There are a few board members that have them listed. I've bought all but one of my Fenix lights from 4sevens and he consistantly gives great service and that is who I would recommend.

The Dorcy mentioned by zespectre looks good and I plan on getting one at some point just to check out but according to flashlightreviews.com, it doesn't throw quite as well as the Fenix and the Fenix is certainly a trimmer light.

Keep in mind, the KL1 has twice the throw of the Fenix and the Streamlight has twice the throw of the Surefire... Throw is largely dependant on reflector diameter and very few single cell lights are going to have that type of throw. When you step up to the big leagues, there are lights that can pack a LOT of wallop in a small package but they cost well beyond $100 and they usually look a bit freakish on a single cell body.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, if you will consider an incandescent, the Streamlight Strion has absolutely AMAZING throw considering it size... plus it's rechargeable and gives about an hour of runtime per charge.

Chris201W

Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I don't really want to go rechargeable, I would use the light infrequently enough that regular cells would be better.

The Pelican M6 looks good, but what does it have over the SF G2?

How does the throw of the BOG 3W LED drop-in compare to the throw of the streamlight pp 4aa lux? I think this is what I want.

catch228

Newly Enlightened
I currently carry a Peak Carribean as my EDC. A LOT more throw than the lights that you mentioned. It's right at that $100 dollar amount though. Excellent build quality.

So many lights, so few pockets to carry them in. :D

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my 2 123 cell EDC happens to be a BOG Module in a Vital Gear body however my module is modded with a brighter (and hopefully whiter) TW0K emitter rather than the random S-bins that come in the BOG and I also run LiON cells in it so that makes it further brighter than stock would be on 2 primary cells. It's not a super thrower, but it is certainly a good bit further throwing than the Fenix or Dorcy lights mentioned. Doug at flashlightreviews.com rates the stock BOG at 1600 on his scale so I would guess mine is maybe in the 2000 range. The Fenix is 650 and the Dorcy is 470 for comparison.

Only thing is, at this point, you are pushing $80 if you don't already have the G2 and at that point and I've seen the E1Ls go for $75, it will give nearly the throw of the G2/BOG combo in a much smaller and lighter package and is just quite a step up on the niceness scale.

Also, I've sold or traded all of my G2s but I still have the similar Maxfire and I can say that if size is a concern, the Vital Gear body that my BOG rides in is QUITE a bit smaller than the Maxfire. I carry mine every day and I consider the Maxfire to be too big for comfortable pocket carry though it's obviously smaller than the Streamlight 4AA light.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Try a drop-in LED sandwich from The Sandwich Shoppe. All you'll need is a Mini Maglite and 2 AA Lithium batteries. Let me tell you, it'll be BRIGHT with that near SureFire perfect beam for about an hour. Plus it has a VERY decent throw and all from a Mini Maglite. Here's an example of what you'll need to get it up to "light" speed.

LED Drop-In Sandwich: Bad Boy NexGen 750mA TW0J
Reflector: McR-18
Lens: UCL

You supply the Mini Maglite + batteries. That's it! Hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy!

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1L offers good throw for $100.(might be slightly steep on your budget but its a surefire!) You could get the F04 beam shaper later on for really nice flood beams.
Much brighter than SL 4AA lux.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris201W said:
...EDC that's small enough to put in my pocket or on a belt holster that has more throw...under $100 (I'd prefer if it's more towards $50, being a student, I'm on a tight budget)...decent runtime-at least an hour...Basically, I want to EDC a SL PP 4AA, but it's too big...
You get much more throw for your dollar with incandescent. The G2 is a good light, but the Streamlight Scorpion out throws it:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_scorpion.htm

Your best throw under $100 is the Streamlight Strion, Even if you don't want rechargeable, consider this. It's very compact and very powerful.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_strion.htm

The Pelican M6 has great throw and is just $35. That's probably your best throw-for-the-buck:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pelican_m6.htm

If you can stretch to $109, there's the Striker VG. It's LED and out throws any other commercial LED light and most incandescents. It's a little longer than a Minimag, but would probably fit in a holster. If you want max throw in an LED light around $100, this is it:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledlogic_strikervg.htm

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
1. SL Scorpion incan.........$30-35
2. Pelican M6 incan...........$40-45 (25% more throw than SF G2, but less flood)
3. SF EL1 LED..................$85-100
4. SL TL-2/NF-2 incan.......$40-50

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want real throw in a small package that's useful, get a E2e. The throw numbers of LEDs may look impressive on paper, but the E2e's perfectly circular beam will penertrate through the atmosphere with much better color rendition that results in a more useful beam.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
for throw I must say the incan G2 w/ upgraded bulb, or M6 are fine. I liked my M6 until it fell victim to that "tailcap switch disorder" it's currently comatose (at least until I get the part) I thought it was the best value with its nice holster and metal build. at less than $35, the basic G2 is outstanding.

tonight I was comparing my recently arrived form Elite LED inova T-1, my 5watt Nuwai from JS Burly's, and G2 w p61 lamp. against a house at 35 yards the LEDS lit it up and showed furniture in a room, yet the G2 "blasted right through" the window iluminating the furniture.

I dont own a Peak Carribean yet but am awaiting the new arrivals and that "CPF Special" looks VERY appealing. the AMILITE is also on my list, I wish I would have snapped up one of those U bin ORB Raws! maybe I'll spring for that new 2 stage Raw from Orb
so may lights ... so little time..:lolsign: .... It would appear that I am in never ending quest for the "ultimate" pocket/keychain LED light:naughty:

Last edited:

Macaw

Enlightened
I also would consider the SL TL-2. It's dimensions make this a truly pocketable 2x 123 cell flashlight.

Krit

Enlightened
1 Vote to QIII 3 watt EDC. It's compact size and easy to carry on your belt.

fire-stick

Enlightened
I bought a SL Strion a few month ago and I use it so little that I only have to put it on the charger every 2 or 3 days just to top off the battery. It has a Li-Ion battery and a smart charger so no need to worry about memory effect or over charging.

I know you say you're not gonna use a flashlight that much but once you get one you'll find all kinds of new situations where you'll need a flashlight.

Plus, the SL Strion is a throw monster, there are only about 10 flashlights on flashlightreviews dot com that out throw the SL strion, not to mention it puts out about 75 lumens.

It's smaller than a mini mag but out throws a 3D mag!!

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_strion.htm

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_3d.htm

Hope this helps

Scott

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L1P isn't really a great thrower like an E2E or a U2. More, the impressiveness of the light (and yes, it's throwing ability) is a factor of its price, its size and that it uses just a single AA. Most 1 or 2 CR123 lights will outthrow it, but will be larger and more expensive (both to buy and to run).

I'd reccomend an Inova T1 ($40), T2 ($45-50) or T3 ($60). The T2 is only slightly brighter than the T1, but will last much longer on the pair of batteries. The T3 is significantly brighter than the T2, but is larger with it's wider head. All three use TIR optics, so they're all great throwers. Even the T1 has great throw for being only a 1xCR123 1W Luxeon. All have excellent regulation that provides constant output until the battery finally poops out. All have a momentary/clicky switch with lockout.

Read more about them here: http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_t.htm