EDC - Watch

X33

Enlightened
At last another Omega X33 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif . Also use the Omega Moonwatch. Used to have one of the russian KGB watches. Took one hell of a beating and always worked. Until I stopped wearing it everyday and it never worked afterwards. love those Rhino straps too. Got them on all my EDC watches.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of great looking* watches posted -
not surprisingly (to me) mostly analog and toward practical and heavy duty.

and that's kind of the point -
whether we like to admit it or not -
watches are (among other things) also a fashion accessory -
most of us will know people who wear watches to match their attire -
we actually do it too.

So being "fashion" it is hard to just pick one and stay with it for the rest of our lives... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif -
even if we like to think we are pragmatic and practical -

tell the truth -
how many people really chose their watch without any regard to their looks...
ok, why do so many people like to show* their watch with pride if not for the looks then?
(now you see why the * was next to the "great looking" in my opening sentence? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Talking about tough and heavy duty -
made me go back and look for a Casio G-Shock that I knew I had (somewhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) -
GShockDW5600_2.jpg

This model DW5600 has got to be well over 10 years old - still on its original battery - yes the watch did reset itself when I pushed the light button - but I was able to reset the time last night and as you see from the photo it is still "ticking" fine.

This may be a classic of sorts as it may have been one of the first G-Shocks, if not the first(?).
HOT LINKING NOT ALLOWED - PIC DELETED.
The Casio MIL-Shock - SOPMOD Watch (Special Operations Peculiar Modification)

is based on the Casio G-Shock DW5600 - the DW5600EV1V (shown on the right photo)

So why did I change from the now "classic" status Casio G-Shock to the cheapo Timex?

Well the G-Shock was pretty heavy - and despite the more subdued black, kind of looked out of place in a typical office enviroment (see the thing about "fashion"?) - plus the digits were kind of small compared to the newer models coming out - then Timex's all day Indiglo (iridescent/reflective green background) came out - and the difference in legibility was immediately noticable -
as this comparison with my current Timex 53952 below shows -
the watches were photographed/scanned side by side - with obviously the exact same lighting and exposure.....
Timex_GShock.jpg

The Timex to me is better looking - lighter because of the cheesey silver painted plastic casing - which I know will wear off in years to come - it took about 5-6 years to wear off on my (previous) 7+ years old Timex 63947 - with wear definitely showing at about 3-4years...

But hey, I just admitted to myself watches are also "fashionable"*,
and I will have probably bought another by then anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

iddibhai

Enlightened
cy, don't the subs have sapphire crystals? how in the heck did you scratch those?

fc, nice collection.. I like the America's Cup version of the SM best of all their line-up.

cy

Flashaholic
yep my sub, has a sapphire crystal. no scratches, just some nicks in a couple edges.

I wear my watch doing everything including working on cars, where it can bang against hard objects.

gorlank

Enlightened
This is one that I wear regularly. I do own several G shocks and I wear them quite often. Great watches that can take just about anything a person can dish out.

Kontikione.jpg

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own an America's Cup. Perhaps you are reffering to my GMT?

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I LOVE the Kontiki 1958. Although I'm not sure which dial color I prefer. Both black and white look GREAT.

My usual EDC (sorry about the poor picture):

cit_ti.jpg

The watch is hardened titanium with a saphire crystal. It took a while but I finally managed to put a slight scratch in the main body. Probably one of those times when I was working on an engine and forgot which watch I was wearing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Other than that, the body and crystal are flawless. Its amazing how resistant this Duratect Titanium is to scratches. FAR more so than any of my stainless watches.

Other features are the easily set (unlike Seiko) perpetual calendar (this really spoils you), GREAT lume, and cool power saving features because of the solar power (which incidentally is very reliable). What I mean by power saving is that if the watch isn't making more power than its consuming (i.e. dark place) it automatically stops the second hand the next time it gets to 12. So what happens is that the watch will hang under my shirt cuff and go into this sleep mode and when I pull up my shirt sleeve to check the time, the second hand moves quickly to the proper time. Very cool. The minute and hour hands keep moving (until watch is in dark for several days) so you don't HAVE to wait for the watch to wake up, but as long as I've had it, its still entertaining to watch (npi). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what I wear now that I'm back at my civilian job...

HOT LINKING NOT ALLOWED - PIC DELETED.

I like the 24-hour, automatic movement. Mine doesn't have the third red hand though, so only two time zones.

When I was training in the army the past few months, I usually wore my Mil-Shock though.

JM-99

Last edited by a moderator:

gorlank

Enlightened
I love that Citizen Eco Drive, really handsome piece!

I've always wanted a Glycine Airman, I was so close to picking up a vintage model that was on Watchcat for a great price, but missed it by a few minutes.

iddibhai

Enlightened
fc, sorry for not being clear; since you have a collection of SMs, i said i like the AC version best of all the SM variations. i'm guessing the bracelet is the auto, the strap is the quartz version of the "bond" SM?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I EDC, 24/7, a yellow faced Luminox. It is several years old but all 15 vials of tritium are still bright. I used to wear heavier Seiko diving watches, but fell in love with the light weight Luminox. It is the non metal version.

Bill

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:
fc, sorry for not being clear; since you have a collection of SMs, i said i like the AC version best of all the SM variations. i'm guessing the bracelet is the auto, the strap is the quartz version of the "bond" SM?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

gorlank

Enlightened
Fluorescent, Wow, great grouping of Luminox watches! What is that beautiful light?

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Hi Minjin ! Sweet watch! I love your Citizen eco drive watch. You have a watch that actually is fantastic looking without dozens of gimmics and is easy to tell what time it is! Sometimes the manufactures forget what a watch is really supposed to do! I am having trouble locating the model number of your watch. I checked on ebay and didn't see any like yours. Any info is greatly appreciated.