Ever cut yourself with your fancy EDC knife?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Re: Ever cut yourself doing with your fancy EDC?

I figured it would surely happen and after owning my Chive for about a week it bit me. Just a minor bite, and I'm sure I deserved it after playing with the assisted opening feature to excess.

Geoff

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

my edc is a gerber multitool.
smashed my fingers with it when i broke it in 2
was trying to loosen a bike axle nut when i squeezed it to stop it from slipping.busted it in the hinge and smashed my fingers between the handles when it collapsed.gerber replaced it but wanted to know how i broke it.did you hit it with a hammer?
nope broke it one handed.
i can break the cheap ones at will.

DarkLight

Enlightened

youch...I havent cut myself really in years..."knock knock" with a knife in years, I will never forget the time I sliced down in my knuckle/side of my finger not once but twice in one stroke while attempting to modify my balsa wood glider with my mom's butcher knife..

Sitting in the bathroom with my finger under the faucet, why I thought this would stop the bleeding is beyone me...I got a bit faint and sat down and put direct pressure on it..which of course worked....still have those they went down to the bone..nothing but whitish gray stuff and no blood...at first of course....

Sharp knifes are far safer than a dull knife untill you slip then you wish you had the dull one...

I have one knife that scares me in the house and thats this razor thin razor sharp Spyderco Kitchen Knife.

I use it to slice up whole filets or other tough tasks.

I hesitate to let other people use it all....one slip and a painless cut away is one missing finger...

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast

Few years ago I got my shiny new Leatherman Wave and proceeded to try out the one handed opening of the main blade and watched a nice chunk of my thumb fall to the floor.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Only after I touch it up on the belt sander and then hone it.

I only cut myself with my regularly used utility knife AFTER changing the blade.

This might give some insight as to how I lost my new E1L down a drain after only two weeks, which was the subject of an earlier post. (I retrieved it two weeks later) Happily I'm more persistant than I am co-ordinated.

bexteck

Enlightened
two years ago, when I was a senior in high school, I was working on tech for the drama group's latest play (I run the lighting system /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif). Since I am known for my abilities with rope and knots, I was asked to tie a hangmans noose that would not slip for use in the play. Once I had finished it, I whipped the ends of the rope and was cutting off the excess twine with my Kershaw Blackout EDC knife, when someone destracted my, causing the knife to slip and cut off the fingerprint on the middle finger of my left hand. My finger immediately began spurting blood and I quickly made the best bandage I could with paper towels and electrical tape. After that I had to find the piece of my finger I had cut off and dispose of it. Surprisingly, after about a month, the whole fingerprint returned the way it used to be, except for the very center which still has a flat spot on it. Good memories of high school. haha.

Phreeq

Newly Enlightened
About 10 years ago I showed some recruits how not to mount a bayonet on a SIG 550. When testing proper fit I must have been quite distracted by talking because I missed the hilt and moved my fingers along the (rather dull) blade. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif The result was a deep cut on 3 fingers. Put some electrical tape on it and kept going which was stupid. Went to the doc in the evening but it was too late for stitching.
The scars remind me that I'm not good at multi-tasking.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I got my first Leatherman Micra a few years ago, I cut myself within about 5 minutes of opening the package. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is going to hurt you more than it did me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I keep one blade on the swiss army knife with many tools sharp, and it is ALWAYS with me. I had just rescentally cleaned it up , so i pulled out the butchers knife straightener/sharpener and stroked the blade back to nice and sharp, the one that is normally dull. then put it back away.

later that night i was trying to PRY a battery pack apart Grrrr, Pry , grrrr , and ya know i dont NEED a locking blade, after all i didnt NEED to stab anybody with a knife.
i was pressing down, harder and harder, the parts i was seperating were just about to come loose, when instead the blade came loose WHAM, and the full force i was applying to it, CLOSED the blade, with one minor problem, my flipping finger was still in there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i was sooo freaked out, why couldnt i seperate the darn battery pack, oh wait, i mean what is all that blood comming from.
ohh is that the bone down there? its all white amongst the red, thats cool, as the pool of crimson tide blocked my view.

darn went right through the top of my finger slicing the tendon in half, the meat of the tendon retracts back under the skin as the pain slowly arrived.
i was going to need a needle and some forceps fast if i was going to recover this mess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

went to the hospital, and got to iodine my own cut, umm whats that scrub brush for? you dont expect me to ,,, ohhh that was going to hurt, had to make sure none of that cheap blade was stuck in there , before they sealed it up. scrub scrub scrub, oh hey there is that bone again, dont get a chance to see that very . . oh no, i am feeling woosy, oh great, hack myself up , have to pour painfull chemicals into the wound, and scrape over it with a brush, and now i am going to fall into the sink of my own blood head first , cause i cant stand up.
Hey nurse are you watching, i am going DOWN, by by, helllooo is any body. ohh good, dont need stitches on the head too, i recover, and the pain comes back again.

stuff this! its CLEAN ok, somebody put some zig-zags in this thing so i can go home.
after a completly useless topical skin NUMBer , they manage to grab the meat from under the skin, and draw it out far enough to send a needle through it. i could feel the tendon pulling on the next joint like never before.
they sew pulled the meat back together (ahh gee i coulda done that) , and then sewed the skin up.

1 month later, i found out they used that Nylon fishing wire , instead of catgut, the skin stich of course comes out easy, but the meat one is stuck under the skin as a seperate ties.
so for 2-3 months fishing line was being extracted by my body, through the top of the skin, like a evil plastic thin worm, the tip of it would pop out, and as i pulled it i could feel it all wrinkled under the skin, my bod pushed each stitch over the top of the meat, and it was stuck under the skin, till the tip popped out, and i could grab it and slowly pull it out. a few week later another one breaks the skin, ready for removal.

the moral of the story, locking blades HAVE real value, even if your not planning on sticking them in other humans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif and good quality blades that dont leave pieces of metal lodged into you are easier to clean up after.
as for DULL vs Sharp, i am still undecided on that.

oh the battery pack, came right apart after i got back, , , could be the Mallot helped it a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ordin_Aryguy

Newly Enlightened
While a picnic the other day my wife forgot a knife to cut the watermelon. She knows I'm never without a knife, so she asked me for mine. She used my Benchmade AFCK to carve up said melon, and then handed it back to me, all dripping wet with melon juice. How did knucklehead me get the juice off the blade? Why by licking it of course!! Yep, nice neat slice right across my tongue. Didn't feel a thing till it was too late.

Ordin

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Strangely, no!

Besides a Leatherman Wave, for my EDC blade, I carry an Benchmade Emerson tanto single bevel folder, (I bought it way back in '97, and I'm not enough of a "knife guy" to have any idea what model it is.), and I fiddle with it frequently too.

I've never cut myself with the Benchmade or the Wave, and before that I've never really had EDC other than earlier multitools before the Wave came on the scene.

I've got a small chevron shaped scar on my left index finger from a boxcutter that gave me a "flap" style cut, but that healed on it's own with Neosporin and some tape.

The worst I've ever done to myself with EDC knives/tools is scraping knuckles when the non locking tools like the screwdrivers on the Wave have slipped, but nothing memorable.

No broken bones other than stress fractures in my feet either. I guess I'm just lucky.

Now that I've posted this, I promise to edit it when Murphy's laws dictate I slice off a finger with the Benchmade tomorrow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
asdalton said:
Yes, I have since discovered that locking blades are your friend. My Leatherman Pulse and Gerber Ridge both have locking blades.

[/ QUOTE ]

that pulse is nice, got anything in a multifunction swiss with locking blades? the pulse has that ONE totally great extra tool the pliers, but that always makes them to big and heavy for the pocket.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
VidPro,

You are one funny guy
rollin.gif
. I figure if you lop of a toe, a finger, and the tip of one ear, you'll have enough material for a book /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
VidPro,

You are one funny guy
rollin.gif
. I figure if you lop of a toe, a finger, and the tip of one ear, you'll have enough material for a book /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks Jim, think i hope to keep the rest of my body parts, growing them back is such a pain.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not an EDC, but what's the first thing you do when you get a Survival Golok (basically a 16 inch razor blade) in the mail? Why, take a hunk of your thumb off of course. Sorry, VidPro - no bone showing. After I got myself all bandaged up, I went back to clean the blood off the knife and there, on the side of the knife right where I left it, was a great big slice of thumb.

VidPro, you're right - it takes a long time for body parts to grow back.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not my knife but still related. I was playing with my Uncle's Leatherman Micra and the knife blade on it was sharpened really sharp; I didn't know that. Well somehow, I accidently cut my left thumb just a little bit but not deep enough to draw blood. It was that sharp and accurate!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm....well, I don't really have anything as exciting as some of your tales to tell, but, my most recent cut was after delivering some floral arrangements to Rose Hills, I saw a bunch of pretty decent flowers that were in the trash can and thought I'd bring 'em to my mom. I wanted to keep them in good shape, so I proceeded to cut a couple of inches off the stems and put them in water. I was thinking....."I'll cut these just the way the designers do, cutting the stems one handed." Well, I did cut them, but the serrations on my EDC Berretta Airlite (small size) met my thumb and put some holes in it, drawing blood in several places.

Not a very impressive story by some of your "standards" (hee hee). I do have a good hammer story though. Some time last year I was swinging a hammer wildly to break a BBQ from it's stand (to recycle it). Wildly means I was actually winding up, kinda like a major league pitcher and swinging as hard as I can. The hammer is too heavy in the head for me and has a smooth wood handle. So, I'm swinging this hammer over and over as hard as I can and finally, instead of stopping when it hits the target, I just clip the edge and it ricochets off and into my lower shin/upper ankle (my hand actually guided it there full force). It hurt really bad at the time, but unfortunately the pain got worse. Within an hour it looked as though I had elephantitis of the foot. I limped in pain for two weeks and finally went to the doctor to see if I broke it or something, because it was still swollen. He said I had just broken some blood vessels and the blood wasn't returning up and that was why it was swollen (and painful).
That was last year some time and just today my coworker asked me if I got the bruise mountain biking in Big Bear this weekend. Everybody always keeps asking me what happened, thinking it's a new injury, and I keep telling them, "remember...I hit myself with a hammer last year?".