Ever cut yourself with your fancy EDC knife?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I have a few nicks from EDC'd SAK's and Gerber MT's. My best cut as that seems to be the most entertaining.
I used to run several Subways in CT. We used to cut our own meat in the store, this was 20-25 years ago even before in store baking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Anyhow despite cleaning the slicer with the blade running, I never got cut. Until I was slicing Genoa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif fortunately we sliced it thin . All of a suden I notice a sliver of pink on the stack. Then I notice blood on the slicer. And pain in my thumb which had drifted down to meet the blade somehow. But the pain then was nothing compared to the pain when I hit the healing area about a week later. Still makes my hand shake to think about it.
I won't talk about the multiple parallel lines inflicted by the tomatoe slicer.

14C

Enlightened
Still have a scar on the inside of my left index finger - barely visible after 30 years - from a Buck 105.

Nastiest was from trying to cut a nylon cable tie from teflon jacketed cable with a small swiss army knife. The tie cut and the knife slid along the cable jacket and into my hand. I was squeezing blood and fat tissue out of it under a faucet when one of the nurses from the medical school where I was working found me in the break room and got me to a doctor. The freaking tetanus shot hurt more..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put two deep gashes across the tops of my fingers with two different knives, both cutting wire ties off bundled cables. One was a butterfly knife and the other was a smooth blade Spyderco. Almost needed stitches. Both were super sharp and I held the cut steady so there was almost no bleeding.

The worst was when I clipped a small divot off the tip of my middle finger while closing my Swiss Army blade against my pants leg. Felt warmth on my finger and looked down to see blood and the interior of the finger. Still have a 2mm diameter scar near one corner of the fingernail on that one. I was lucky that time, I was a contract worker at another company so they only dunked my hand in ice water till the bleeding slowed and bandaged it. If I'd been an employee they would have been honor bound to use the wire brush and green soap (ouch).

Then there are the hundreds of extra knuckle creases from knives and hand saw blades collected over the years.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Hmm lets see

Stanley Knife - Check

Too many to list (mainly when the idiots that I work with decide to close the walk in chiller door while i am cutting box flaps, as it makes it too dark to tell where your blade is)

Kitchen knife - Check

Stabed myself in the webbing between my thumb & index finger (a pain in the rear end to put a plaster on) and the knife was brand new.

Serrated Knife - Check

Sliced open hand while cutting pannis open (I do food prep for a cafe)

Scissors - Double Check

Had a pair cut two big gashes in my thumb down to the bone when an ex friend decided to cut some tape for me before I was ready.

And I have had numerous cuts from the sharp edges of stainless steel equipment. Especialy the parts that hold the shelfs up in a comercial freestanding chiller (removed the top layers of skin from parts of my hand 3 times this month)

I also still have the scars from where I burnt myself exactly the same way two days in a row.

knot

Banned
I only cut myself one time and that was in the store checking out the knives. I got a blood blister from one of the multitools using the pliers. I wrote to them (forgot the manufacturer) and they said it was a design flaw and they will replace mine with an updated version.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old thread but still brings memories.

Haven't cut myself with my own knife yet but I did get a few blood blisters as a result of pinching my fingers when the pliers on my Leatherman Charge TI slipped off a nut and snapped shut. I had two pinches in one day as well about two months back.

At the Los Angeles Area Flashapalooza, mom and I were eating when JimH sat down nearby. My mother noticed he had electrical tape wrapped around one finger and asked what happened.

JimH> "Oh, I just cut myself cleaning my knife" (I think it was one of his Benchmades)

Last edited:

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
I won't talk about the multiple parallel lines inflicted by the tomatoe slicer.

That brings back memories for me. I worked at Blimpie's as a teenager. I was too young to use the meat slicer, but I watched in amused horror as a co-worker achieved parallel cuts on the tips of three fingers while wiping down the tomato slicer with a rag. I learned some new words and ways to combine them that day. :eek:

I've smashed fingers with hammers, pinched them in pliers, barked knuckles while loosening reluctant bolts, and even accidentally put my hand through a glass window, but I've never had a cut requiring stitches. So far. My sister-in-law, on the other hand (no pun intended), once put a Cutco kitchen knife through her hand while trying to de-pit an avacado. She was stabbing with the point while holding the treacherous fruit in her other hand.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup.
I carry one of mine in the coin pocket on the Levis. Was doing yard work with an especially tattered pair where the material was all frayed. When I went to draw the knife from that pocket, the thumbstud caught the fabric and stuck. I couldn't draw it so I pushed in back down to try again not realizing the blade was partially opened. I wound up pushing my middle finger down onto the opened tip of the blade. It was a quick prick that drew minimal blood fortunately.

RCatR

Enlightened
Nope, but my girlfriend slipped with my spyderco and went through her thumbnail; making quite a splatter on the table. Ironic part is she knows how to handle a blade(she carries a kerambit); seems like the best of us get sliced up in freak accidents:shrug:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had my share of cuts, one tip I learned is to use superglue after cleaning the cut, heals much faster and is waterproof, just clean, close it together glue it and continue with your normal activities. works very good!!!

AlexGT

Marduke

Flashaholic
Well, this story didn't happen directly to me, but it did to all of my dumb coworkers. As a safety reward at a company (you know, something like an entire year without any major accidents) they decided to give out Buck 110 lockbacks with company logos in the wood part of the handle. And they were all razor sharp too. Well, they were handed out at the end of the week on Friday. By Monday, there were several hospital visits with various employees cutting off slices of skin, slices of the tips and sides of fingers, and more than one where it had sprung closed and sliced completely through the webbing between the thumb and index finger. It was ironic, I laughed... a lot...

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
don't EDC a knife but want to share.

you guys know those razor blades which is rectangle-shaped?

my grandfather had those in his drawer and one day i took them, played with them, and put in back.

it was when washing my hands that i realize i had 2 cuts on my left hand.

see how sharp the blades were?

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never cut myself with my EDC blade, but did manage to slice my finger open with the awl on my S.A.K soldier a few years back...that thing is razor sharp! :duh2:

CFU

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
About 1 year ago, i was cutting a box up to put in the bin. At the time i was carrying my Spyderco Dragonfly (before i knew abotu lock knife laws) and i was side tracked and started to cut inwards towards my body. well.. it was so sharp that it cut right through all the way to my trousers and my gut.. Luckyly i did not put too much force behind the blade, otherside i would have completely disemboweld my self , and then we would have something the likes of a horror movie.. But since the laws in the UK are so stupid, i leave that in a draw now, and just use it for shaving. And yes i have cut myself shaving before with my Dragonfly! Rare but usually the blade jumps, and i think "did i cut myself???? . . . Nope.. " but then 10 seconds later the blood appears.:oops:

ss2nv

Newly Enlightened
My fiance's thumb after carelessness with one of these, only an older model with no guard:
Clipboard01-1.gif

Not done with an EDC, but I thought I'd share anyway. Went through the bone and all.
I'd say there was 15% left that wasn't cut that was keeping the tip hanging on. She had a Pez dispenser-thumb. :oops:

KsThumb01.jpg

KsThumb02.jpg

KsThumb03.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
sometimes I wish the handle of the kershaw leek is broader than it is....
I cant give a good grip on it and yeah....its pointy enough poke anything in the opening radius...including a thumb or any fingers in the way

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
111 and 120mm Swiss Army knives (such as the Victorinox Trekker and Fireman and the Wenger Ranger series) have locking blades.
Many of the 85mm Wengers have locking blades as well.
(On these, look for "S" in the model number).
Many of these have locking screwdrivers as well.

All the tools on the Victorinox Swisstool line are locking.

[ QUOTE ]
asdalton said:
Yes, I have since discovered that locking blades are your friend. My Leatherman Pulse and Gerber Ridge both have locking blades.

[/ QUOTE ]

that pulse is nice, got anything in a multifunction swiss with locking blades? the pulse has that ONE totally great extra tool the pliers, but that always makes them to big and heavy for the pocket.