Ever cut yourself with your fancy EDC knife?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Wow, what a Scary and Frightening thread ! ! !

:eeksign::awman:

Hopefully, your (collective) experiences will prevent
someone from carelessly repeating these mistakes.

Good Luck, and good health, to every one of you who've contributed here.

_

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of my cuts have come from work. I bought my Benchmade Mini-Grip because we can only have blades under 3 inches at work. I've also got a Kobalt box cutter but my cuts were a little odd.

BTW, don't tell anyone I said this because it wont make some people happy.

First one was a paper cut. I giggled also.

Second one was a cardboard cut. Let me tell you something about cardboard cuts. They go deep and wide.. They bleed like hell.. They hurt like nothing else.. Who would have thought.

Third was my Kobalt. Sliced right through a thumb.

Fourth was straping. Straping is a rolled length of aluminum that's flexible that we put around pallets to secure their cargo. The type of cargo that explodes when shot. This was by far the hardest to stop from bleeding. I cut my finger at an angle. You could fold the skin back like a flap.

Of course, a few days of gauze and cold water keeps anyone from knowing.

As a side note, squirt some Acetone in a cut and you can almost watch it heal. I'm not sure how easy it is to get pure Acetone but it's in nail polish. However, try this at your own risk. You're not suing Search.

Patriot

Flashaholic
My only edc accident was from my retired Benchmade afck. The blade tension loosened to the point that it opened as I swung it past my right thigh to put it back into my pocket. The blade opened 90 degrees to the handle and I stuck the tip straight into my leg about 13-15mm. I didn't even realize for about 10 seconds that I actually stuck myself. When I saw the entry depth on the blade it thought for sure I was getting stitches. I was able to eventually stop the bleeding nursed it back to health with butterfly type bandages. Still have a nice scar.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, this is kind of bizarre, but somehow I have subscribed to this thread at some point in the past without any recollection of reading any of it, nor do I even remember seeing it and going, "This looks interesting, I'll check it out later." That being said, with that last post by Burgess, it popped up in my subscribed threads with new posts. :crazy:

Of course, I read it all, and was reminded of many bloody episodes of my own.

The most stupid one that stands out in my mind, happened about ten years ago...

I was working on a construction job, and one of the electricians needed a favor of some kind from me (can't seem to recall what it was though... :thinking:), and as a way to make it right, he told me I could have all the scrap ends of copper cable left from wiring the big panels on the job. This is the big stuff, about as big in diameter as my thumb, and some that were about as thick as my index finger (sorry, I have no clue as to what gauge it is, not being a sparky myself), and of varying lengths, about 12" to 36." I thought it was a very nice gesture, especially at the going rates of scrap copper at the time.

Well, I took the stuff home and threw it in the shed. I was just about to lock the shed and I thought, "I wonder how hard that plastic insulation is going to be to get off?"

So I picked up a piece, grabbed a standard utility knife, you know, the kind with a sliding button to expose the razor blade. The blade I had in it was very dull and chewed up, and when I tried to slice the thick plastic, I found that it was a real pain. So, I locked it all up in my shed for the night, and forgot about it for the evening.

The next day, I asked my sparky friend how the hell you get the insulation off. He picked up a piece of the same stuff and sliced a cut right down the length of the cable with his razor knife, and peeled the plastic right off, like it was nothing. I was stunned! I asked him, "How the hell did you do that so easily?" He said the trick was to let the cable sit in the warm sun for about thirty minutes and it's a whole lot easier to cut.

Well, I went home that afternoon and laid some of the cable in the sun, just like he said, and started looking for my box of new blades. By the time I found it, the cable felt good and warm, so I sat down on a chair and gave it a shot. Boy was he right! That new blade slid through the warm plastic like butter...and it slid through my left index finger just as easily! I looked at it and just like it has been stated before, I could see the bone down inside the angled cut in my finger...then the blood came.

I grabbed my first aid kit and wrapped a bandage around the bleeding finger, and figured, since it really didn't hurt that much, I may as well just take a few minutes and finish cutting the rest of the plastic off of the cable, before I decide whether I need to get it stitched up or not...:shakehead

I sat down again (this time I put gloves on), and proceeded to slice a pretty good sized fillet in the top of my right leg! Two pieces of cable, two wounds! DEE-DA-DEE! :ohgeez:

I looked through the rather large hole in my new jeans, to see if I could tell how bad it was, but of course, I couldn't tell, what with all that blood and all, so I made my way into the house, and into the bathroom. By then I had a pretty good sized bloodstain running down the leg of my pants. I slipped them off carefully, and got into the tub. I washed away most of the smeared blood and looked at the wound...it really wasn't all that deep...it was just kinda wide (about 3/8") and about 3" long.

I was determined to fix it myself, since I couldn't imagine facing the humiliation of telling the nice folks at the ER how I could be stupid enough to first slice my finger, then continue to wield the same knife again and mutilate my thigh. :eek:

So I cleaned my leg up the best I could and used four of the largest bandaids I had to pull the wound shut...but first, I grabbed my shaver to get rid of the hair, because I knew how that was going to feel when those babies had to come off! I know what you're all thinking...and I was actually able to shave the hair without causing any further injuries... :nana:

I decided to lay a piece of carpet across my lap when I finally decided to complete the removal of that damned plastic covering...which I did about a year later...just about the time when scrap prices dropped like a rock... :shakehead

Anyway, there isn't much of a scar on the finger, due to the very sharp blade leaving a very thin (but deep cut), but I have a pretty decent scar on my thigh that really shows up when the light hits it just right... :naughty:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect I have cut myself with almost every knife I have carried at one point or another, as a mechanic knives were indespensable but murphys law meant I would cut myself usually as soon as acquiring a new cutter and that usually was at home sharpening my new razor sharp knives.