Exolion First Impressions Thread

nethiker

Enlightened
Congratulations Greg on a project well done. Must feel good to have them all shipped. I only have one problem with my Exolion...it's still in the mail.:grin2:

I'm glad to hear you're willing to consider another project like the Exolion. Any hints? Still a keychain light? I really respect your intent to make the light for yourself first, unwilling to be swayed with requests for this and that. So, what are you looking for in your next light.:popcorn:

Fiddleback

Enlightened
Oh you guys are really rubbing this one in. I want one badly, but missed the boat. Glad to hear all the good reviews. Gives a guy something to look forward to. Please make more!!!!:ohgeez:

Sturluson

Enlightened
I have a place on the boat, but it hasn't reached port yet! I'll be at the PO Monday morning to see if it's docked.

Meanwhile, any of you proud Exolion care to post some beamshots? :naughty:

quantile

Newly Enlightened
Exolion #17 arrived safely today.

exolion15rf.jpg

exolionbezel6yb.jpg

The finish is excellent, I'm not sure if the pictures I took can convey just how smooth it is. I love the Ti color. As was already mentioned, the threads were at bit rough at first, but got better after cleaning and re-greasing.

Output is amazing for such a small light, low and (default) high level are nicely spaced apart. Judging by eye, burst level matches my Orb Raw (T bin) on high. The tint is very white, leaning ever so slightly into blue.

I could not be happier with the Exolion.

This was the first custom light 'run' I have been in and I don't think it could have been done any better: Plenty of updates along the way, pictures to show progress and responses in a more than timely manner. Greg, this was a most impressive performance!

nrk

Newly Enlightened
Are any of you able to turn the Exolion on/off using a one-handed operation, especially the higher levels that require two or three on/off sequences?

Although my threads are easing up a bit I find that there is still a little too much resistance and the light is too smooth to allow me to use it with one hand.

;-nrk

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the nice photos, erinO919 and quantile. :goodjob: Can I have your permission to use these for myself?

nrk, As the Exolion is a twisty, I've never really envisioned that you will turn on/off the Exolion with one hand. In reality, however, I can turn on the prototype Exolion on my keychain to Low with one hand, and only need two hands if I want to go to High or Burst.

quantile

Newly Enlightened
gregw said:
Thanks for the nice photos, erinO919 and quantile. :goodjob: Can I have your permission to use these for myself?
Sure, no problem.

nrk: With one hand, gripping right at the bezel I manage to engage the high and burst level - most of the time :)

Cobweb Hunter

Newly Enlightened
My Exolion arrived in the Chicago burbs this morning at about 11:00 am cdt, Monday, 05/06/06.

It is small.

I had no problem with the front o-ring. The torch arrived with threads feeling broken-in. I added some silicon slickum to give the action that damped hydrolic feel--very nice. Maybe this will help some of you readers of previous posts to relax a bit.

The beam has a great tint. For every time I think that it may appear a bit bluish or purple, there is another where I would say it may lean toward warm.
I'd call it white.

The corona transitions smoothly from hotspot to a very even and pleasing spill area with a pretty distinct outer edge. The shape of the spill at a distance up to about 2/3 meter is this torch's signature--a rather distinct pentagon that is less noticeable as the distance increases.

The flicker reported on low by some others was not really noticeable except when I waved the beam across some wall paper that had a regular pattern.

I have already been successful going from off-to-high on one occasion one-handed. I doubt that I will work on this enough for it to become my habit, but it can be done. YMMV. I might use this technique for low--we'll see....

I'm going to take the afternoon off now and crawl through the city storm sewers.

You people that are still waiting will be pleased.

Thanks, Greg. Good work!

Cobweb Hunter

alauda

Enlightened
Mine arrived this morning. Greg if you are reading this may I congratulate you on producing one of the nicest flashlights I own.

It is every credit to you that you produced it well in time, beautifully finished and a quality of light which is just fantastic.

From its inception right thru to the delivery, everything seemed to go smoothly.

Thank you, if you ever decide to do another project I will definately be in.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to hear that the Exolions are arriving safely. :)

I personally prefer the beam from the Exolion, which combines a Joker LED with a Non-Joker McR-16 reflector. This provides a bigger hotspot, and a slightly brighter corona that is, I feel, more useful for a keychain light than a perfectly focused LED with a more intense but smaller hotspot. :grin2:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greg Just want you to know that as nice as the EXOLOION is I doubt that it will replace my ARC AAA. It is too nice to be sentenced to a life of being beat up and banged around.

I look forward to what ever comes next. Please include me no matter what just in case I miss the posting. I am IN!!

At first I thought the UI was clunky. NOW that I have been using it I like it very much. It is smooth and simple.

It appears as though the O-ring has seated.
I have also learned that the light is very sensitive to different battery lengths.
The AW cell being just right.
Yaesumofo

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesumofo said:
Greg Just want you to know that as nice as the EXOLOION is I doubt that it will replace my ARC AAA. It is too nice to be sentenced to a life of being beat up and banged around.

I look forward to what ever comes next. Please include me no matter what just in case I miss the posting. I am IN!!

At first I thought the UI was clunky. NOW that I have been using it I like it very much. It is smooth and simple.

It appears as though the O-ring has seated.
I have also learned that the light is very sensitive to different battery lengths.
The AW cell being just right.
Yaesumofo

James, I'm glad to hear that you are beginning to like the UI. That is why I just made it a simple 3 level, with the defaults set so that they are "good enough" for almost all uses. :)

With regards to the different lengths of RCR2, I made sure that the Exolion had more than enough threads so that it would be able to handle almost all variations of RCR2 batteries. The other RCR2 are up to 1mm longer, which just means that the Exolion will turn on a little bit sooner. You should have no problem using other RCR2s in the Exolion.