Favorite AAA

What's Your Favorite AAA?

• Total voters

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Other"

MJP Extreme III is awesome! BEST twisty UI hands down.
Had a Fenix L0D, gave it away immediately.

Viper715

Enlightened
I've owned about half of what the choices are and I have to say the Litflux is my favorite but the Fenix lights are up there as well. I neck carry the Liteflux, keychain a LOD glovebox a arc and have sold my streamlight.

mon90ey

Newly Enlightened
Guess I missed the poll, but I'll still throw in my 2 cents worth: since I only own E01's and LD01s and a Maglight Solitare in the AAA format, I can only speak for them. The Mag Solitare is worthless except for maybe a novelty or collector's item. It's a sad thing, too, as that, RayoVac, (and a few other novelty brands of questionable repute) used to be all we had. If one wants to really see where we've been and where we are going with this light thingy, turn off all the lights and turn on your E01 or LD01 and place it next to a Solitare shining on a white wall. The difference will blow you away! As far as my favorite, the Fenix lights win my vote hands down. That may change in the near future, as my pocket book is currently in the open position, and 4sevens appears to be poised on the go button for something entirely new, but for now, it's either the Fenix E01 or the LD01 that gets my vote. :twothumbs

Sector7

Enlightened
I also vote for the not listed: ArcMania Extreme III XRE R2 and its variants. It is one of the most versatile user programmable AAA light around sporting optional over discharge protection for both NiMH or LiIon 14400. :thumbsup:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2

As much as I like the LOD, I dislike the E01. So, I can't endorse this grouping. :thinking:

Split them apart and I'd vote for the L0D. :thumbsup:

Please read post #15.
Pray tell, how else do you list them separately without taking out any other AAA? Which would you remove so that the Fenix are listed separately? :shrug:

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Sapphire, but when the SHTF, I'm gonna reach for the Mako, Loooong runtime!

Mayo

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please read post #15.
Pray tell, how else do you list them separately without taking out any other AAA? Which would you remove so that the Fenix are listed separately? :shrug:
I'd remove the E01. :p It's not a bad light, but I have a hard time seeing it as anyone's favorite. (Interestingly, that option has 50% right now, so it seems it should have been split up -- not that there was a way to predict that in advance...)

Oh, and my favorite? Hmm... I don't even have most of those; I do have an E01, I had a Microstream, but I used it to make a Tank-Stream. I think the LF2X might be my favorite if I had one, but I went with Other in honor of either the Tank-Stream or Akoray K-102. (I can't quite make up my mind, but since neither of them is listed, I don't have to!)

Tank-Stream recipe:
Use a Tank007 model TK-701 (cheap DX light with a reverse clicky, but it has decent output from AAA or 10440) head and body, and use the Microstream (cheap name-brand light with ok forward clicky, and nice pocket clip, but mediocre output and AAA only) tailcap. Tighten the TK-701 body hard into the Microstream tailcap (I guess it's personal preference, but I like head-loading), insert 1 battery (AAA sized, any chemistry), and tighten head down.

Result: short, handy, forward-clicky light, which happily shares fodder with any other AAA or 10440 light. I mostly run it on 10440, but it beats the Microstream on AAAs as well, and is shorter to boot. There's probably a smaller forward-clicky AAA somewhere, and it may even have decent output, but this is the smallest I know.

Extra credit: desolder the spring from the TK-701 head first, and carefully solder it onto the TK-701 tailcap. Curl a piece of copper wire to fit in the tailcap thread to make better contact (since the Microstream is end-contact, and the Tank007 is thread-flank-contact). Then you can assemble the corresponding Micro007 hybrid, with mediocre output, no 10440 support, no pocket clip, and a reverse clickie. This light's only remarkable quality is tailstanding, and even that's pretty wobbly, but hey, it's free!

1dash1

Enlightened
Please read post #15.

If you're asking how to list them separately, I'd suggest dropping either the Serac or the Others category.

Personally, I'd leave out the E01 entirely. :devil:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to go into bat for the poor E01. It is my favourite AAA if usage is any indication. Its a good honest little light that has been handy in many situations. Between that and my L2D which I also carry around, its the E01 that comes out the most.

Then again, the only other AAA I have is a L0D.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're asking how to list them separately, I'd suggest dropping either the Serac or the Others category.

I voted Serac, but the poll choices are imprecise enough that it will be tough to make sense of the results.

If I had to get rid of all my AAA lights and keep only one, I would keep the Leatherman Serac S2.

If I could keep two lights, they would be the Serac S2 and Streamlight Microstream.

arc-microstream-s2.jpg

1dash1

Enlightened
How do all the fenix's get lumped together? The E01 and LOD are totally different.

I thought if something is said three times on the internet, then it must be true? ;)

P.S. I still haven't voted. I can't vote for the L0D as my favorite, when the same vote goes to the E01 - which is one of my least favored lights. (You can throw stones at me, but I prefer my GUI over the E01. Sorry, EO lovers, just my preferences. )

So, if I had to place a vote, I'd go with the Liteflux. Solid light. I probably should use mine more than I do.

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite is the Fenix-Stream. A Fenix L0D head on a Streamlight Microstream body making it a forward clicky.

lodheadmicrostreambodyyd1.jpg

Lite_Me... interesting combo.. please tell me what this combination adds to the equation... (I might guess more output and ability to run 10440?) but how much more output is there?

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lite_Me... interesting combo.. please tell me what this combination adds to the equation... (I might guess more output and ability to run 10440?) but how much more output is there?
You're looking at it backwards, it's not a Streamlight upgrade, it's an L0D upgrade. Only thing it adds is a nice clicky and pocket clip. (The L0D can go 75lm on high.)

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're looking at it backwards, it's not a Streamlight upgrade, it's an L0D upgrade. Only thing it adds is a nice clicky and pocket clip. (The L0D can go 75lm on high.)

Well, my questions remain, no matter which way you want to look at it, forwards or backwards. ;) The L0D upgrades my Microstream to multiple output levels, higher output, what about ability to run on a 10440?

I have no idea what the lumen output is on the Microstream, but I'm sure its a fair bit less than 75 lumens. Considering that my only AAA light is a Microstream, you might understand that, for me, adding an L0D head to it would be an upgrade! :crackup:

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
With the surge of interest in AAA lights, a poll might be a good idea to gauge and to recommend once and for all the more popular choices. There have been many posts regarding AAA lights showing diverse preferences from users, but no poll so far (none that I can find) to put them together. This list is by no means exhaustive, but what I think are the models mostly owned here. So, vote away. :popcorn:
Zeruel, I think it's unfair to lump the Fenix E01 with the L0D and the LD01.

The E01 is most similar to the ArcAAA in terms of design, output, and emitter type. All these obviously affect the intended (or expected) use that one may give a AAA light.

For example, I carry an ArcAAA as my ultimate backup light. I don't forsee using it under circumstances where I need a bright light (such as the L0D) because I already have those bases covered in my EDC. So, you could say my "favorite" AAA is the ArcAAA (and it is, to some extent). However, if I wanted a AAA light with a lot more output, I'd choose the L0D.

I hope I conveyed where I'm going with this.

The strong bias shown towards the Fenix category is likely due to this.

:shakehead... and that's what I get for not reading the entire thread before posting.

Anyhoooo... the ArcAAA and the L0D ARE my favorite AAA lights. :nana:

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zeruel, I think it's unfair to lump the Fenix E01 with the L0D and the LD01.

The E01 is most similar to the ArcAAA in terms of design, output, and emitter type. All these obviously affect the intended (or expected) use that one may give a AAA light.

For example, I carry an ArcAAA as my ultimate backup light. I don't forsee using it under circumstances where I need a bright light (such as the L0D) because I already have those bases covered in my EDC. So, you could say my "favorite" AAA is the ArcAAA (and it is, to some extent). However, if I wanted a AAA light with a lot more output, I'd choose the L0D.

I hope I conveyed where I'm going with this.

The strong bias shown towards the Fenix category is likely due to this.

:shakehead... and that's what I get for not reading the entire thread before posting.

Anyhoooo... the ArcAAA and the L0D ARE my favorite AAA lights. :nana:

It would be good to see the E01 separated out.