Favorite AAA

What's Your Favorite AAA?

• Total voters

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zeruel, I think it's unfair to lump the Fenix E01 with the L0D and the LD01.

The E01 is most similar to the ArcAAA in terms of design, output, and emitter type. All these obviously affect the intended (or expected) use that one may give a AAA light.

For example, I carry an ArcAAA as my ultimate backup light. I don't forsee using it under circumstances where I need a bright light (such as the L0D) because I already have those bases covered in my EDC. So, you could say my "favorite" AAA is the ArcAAA (and it is, to some extent). However, if I wanted a AAA light with a lot more output, I'd choose the L0D.

I hope I conveyed where I'm going with this.

The strong bias shown towards the Fenix category is likely due to this.

:shakehead... and that's what I get for not reading the entire thread before posting.

Anyhoooo... the ArcAAA and the L0D ARE my favorite AAA lights. :nana:

Hey Green, as I mentioned, I've tried including as many AAA lights as possible which unknowingly became a brand poll. Maybe it should have been listed as Your Favorite Brand for AAA? :thinking:

Evidently, the lights I've listed are someone's favorite, even for ones that are not Fenix. So if I separate Fenix into 3 choices to replace 3 others say Serac, Microstream and Peak, users of these Serac/Microstream/Peak will wonder why their favorites are not in. This happened to Arcmania Extreme III which I've forgot to add in.

Similarly, if I remove E01 from the Fenix list, users of E01 will start asking why it's not included? I know E01 is a popular choice for long runtimes.

Anyhoo, I wish there's a better way to list them without sacrificing the lights listed so far, but I can't think of another way. The ideal way is to list all of them separately but that's not possible because the poll only allows 10 choices. :shrug:

And all said is useless now because I can't edit the poll list once it's up. Unless I restart a new poll and let this close (if Mod willing). :(

On a side note, I think I've an inkling how dealers feel now.... :laughing:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Why there is no Arc AAA form-factor light with SSC or Cree LED? Compared to Arc AAA, all other AAA lights are H U G E !!!

- Vikas

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lite_Me... interesting combo.. please tell me what this combination adds to the equation... (I might guess more output and ability to run 10440?) but how much more output is there?
I consider it an upgrade to the L0D. ;) All it really does is make the L0D a forward clicky w/ momentary. Much easier to use in my opinion. Blip, blip to the output you want and finish the click to lock. Much easier one hand operation than as a twisty. I take apart the switch and add some plastic wood to the switch button to add some length and it gives it a much better feel. You no longer have to push so hard to click it.

As far as the 10440 goes, you can still use it with it this way, with all the customary warnings. On high, it outputs about 130 -150 lumens. But not fer long. :)

I think it's a great, worthwhile mod. I run mine on an Eneloop. Actually, I have 2 of them, and also one of the 2 AAA Stylus Pro's also w/ an L0D head. I like em that much. :p

Here's a couple of links in case you've never run across them... They may answer some questions for you.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/179101&highlight=fenixstream
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/217658&highlight=fenixstream

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, cool... same thing either way... so let's discuss the technical possibilities...

Are both the L0D AND the LD01 compatible with the Microstream body?

The LD01 offers a slightly higher high and a slightly lower low than does the L0D, so I'm thinking the LD01 might be a better choice than the L0D on the Microstream body... does this make any sense? For the person that has a Microstream and wants to upgrade their Microstream, which is the better choice, upgrade with L0D or LD01?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, cool... same thing either way... so let's discuss the technical possibilities...

Are both the L0D AND the LD01 compatible with the Microstream body?

The LD01 offers a slightly higher high and a slightly lower low than does the L0D, so I'm thinking the LD01 might be a better choice than the L0D on the Microstream body... does this make any sense? For the person that has a Microstream and wants to upgrade their Microstream, which is the better choice, upgrade with L0D or LD01?

LD01 is the later model of L0D with the strobe/SOS removed. I don't find myself using strobe/SOS, so I prefer LD01. Besides, there's a SS version to last you for a hundred years. ;)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
If you're asking how to list them separately, I'd suggest dropping either the Serac or the Others category.

Personally, I'd leave out the E01 entirely. :devil:

I voted for the Serac line up. Have the S1 and S2. Don't know why more people have not voted for them. Two mode LOD with clicky and SS bezel = S2 and E01 with clicky and stanless bezel = S1. What is not to like? :)

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
LD01 is the later model of L0D with the strobe/SOS removed. I don't find myself using strobe/SOS, so I prefer LD01. Besides, there's a SS version to last you for a hundred years. ;)

Zeruel... I finally ordered my first Fenix... an LD01 from Lighthound. I'm going to try the LD01 head on my Microstream body... but I do need to beef up the switch on the Microstream as it's very difficult to click on. I really like multi-levels, but like you, I don't like having a light's operation cluttered with strobes and sos.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zeruel... I finally ordered my first Fenix... an LD01 from Lighthound. I'm going to try the LD01 head on my Microstream body... but I do need to beef up the switch on the Microstream as it's very difficult to click on. I really like multi-levels, but like you, I don't like having a light's operation cluttered with strobes and sos.

Great choice. ;)
As I'm not a twisty person, that'll be my only qualm about this light. Now I'm impatiently waiting for LF2XT and the new Avenger.

Muskett

Newly Enlightened
Definitely the Fenix LD01 here... Size, brightness, multiple levels, price... What's not to like? :twothumbs

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
One poll for power LEDs and one poll for Nichia LEDS, problems solved. I voted Fenix LD01

seaside

Enlightened
I voted for "other".

My favorite 'was' ultrafire AAA, can't even remember the model at this moment, and I can't call it superb by no means. Why I choose it over others? It took lot of purnishments without complaint, served me quite well for years, and didn't make me loose my sleep when I lost it. So many better lights out there, but none can do them all.

null

Newly Enlightened
Looking at all of the reviews and comments, i would go with the Fenix LD01...

But then again, what do I know, I'm just a noob. :crazy:

P.S. First Post! :naughty:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went with Fenix,specifically the LDO1.I also like the Tiablo A1(not listed) as a close second but the Fenix gets carried more often because it offers a low mode to extend battery life.

ufd538

Newly Enlightened
OK...I am no light maniac, and honestly have not been to this site for probably 6 months. I agree with everyone else...How can the EO1 compare to the others... it is obviously far superior.

Joking, kind of....

Obviously alot of people here are attracted to the shiniest things(I mean no insult to anyone here by this post, you guys have been very helpful in the past)...there is alot of talk here about flashlights, that parallels the way alot of guys talk about cars, women, guns, etc....again, not trying to hate.

There is alot of talk here about EDC, I propose a new acronym...EDU, or everyday use.

An edu light should withstand constant use, have long battery life, use an easily accessable, cheap battery, as it will be replaced alot. An edu light doesn't have to be super bright, because from day to day I do not plan on finding myself in the deepest, darkest woods. If I plan on needing something brighter, I will take it with me.

Also an edu light should be somewhat inexpensive, because if you use it constantly, you have more of a chance of losing it. I do not keep my light on my keys because I use it so often that the keys get in my way. But alas, I must admit I feel alone up on my soap box, because this could be only related to my profession, which only a very small percentage share.

I am a locksmith, I constantly use a light to look in keyholes, between a door and a jamb, for close up work at night, etc.

Also, an edu light should be small enough to comfortable in the front pocket.

Anyhow, all I am saying is the E01 has a very vital place, brighter isn't always better.

Is maglite ever going to update the solitaire to a LED? With all the criteria I gave is there a better choice?

I am considering a Serac S1 now, as my E01 now requires a light tap on a hard surface to turn on...It has been through alot in the last year.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, now that my LD01 and AW 10440 Li-Ions have made their way to my house... I am totally blown away by the output from this combination. Right now I will have to say the LD01 is my fave. (Well, my only other AAA comparison lights are verrry distant runners). That is until the LF2XT hits my mailbox.