FCW-9 Flashaholics Camping Weekend - NJ, NY, PA, CT + area event! Sept. 14th-17th

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Stan, I got the paypal, thanks. Looking forward to seeing you guys there.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was up at Voorhees again recently, and I think these spots are going to work out very nice for us. Bathrooms are close, trail head for night hikes is close, tons of parking, away from the rest of the camp sites, and close to a large field - which will work nicely for long range light testing.

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget: There is a 15 mile rail to trail bike ride trail from downtown. Can't wait!

All you bikers- bring those bikes!

Lighthouse one: I wonder if anyone has ever gotten lost on the trail?

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
All right. Now I'm really ready for a camping trip. I bought a used 2002 Ford Ranger pickup. Just yesterday put a camper cap on it.

Who needs a tent! I'm tired of scraping bottom with my car overloaded...

Lighthouse one

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
All right. Now I'm really ready for a camping trip. I bought a used 2002 Ford Ranger pickup. Just yesterday put a camper cap on it.

Who needs a tent! I'm tired of scraping bottom with my car overloaded...

Lighthouse one

Congrats Bill! Now you have more room to bring more flashlights! :grin2:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounds great! Thanks, Tim, for doing the legwork on this (and all the other) campouts. Voorhees State Park is right down the road from Milky Labs! I want very badly to be there, love the park, want to bring at least some of the family over for the weekend, overnights included. I have two issues to resolve: (1) just how many family members will be coming; and (2) what the school and/or Boy Scout calendars will look like for September. We don't have that info yet... so I'm not sure how to handle... sent you a PM to that end. Give me a call if easier.

For those who have never spent time in Voorhees State Park: it's a great park, located in a terrific area. Spruce Run and Round Valley Reservoirs are nearby, as is Ken Lockwood Gorge and the Columbia Trail. All are great excursions and offer good opportunities for biking, fishing, swimming, hiking, jogging, etc. The park itself has a history as being a WPA project during the Great Depression. There was a semi-permanent camp located on premises, where the workers (mainly older teens and young men) lived while working to develop the remainder of the park. If you know where to look, the remains of the camp are still there.

There's also an observatory located within the park, operated (I think) by the NJ Astronomical Association. They host various weekend activities at the observatory, and might even have something going on during our time at FCW-9. That would be pretty neat.

Deer are abundant and black bear make the occasional visit. (Don't sleep with a half-eaten candy bar in your shirt pocket!)

Moving away from the park itself, the two reservoirs supply drinking water to a number of towns farther east in NJ. At the bottom of at least one reservoir (or maybe both?) is what's left of a former town: the residents moved out and the area was promptly flooded without so much as tearing anything down... or so local folklore dictates. Great trout and other fishing at the reservoirs, plus both have sections of beach and swimming areas. I believe Round Valley has very good mountain biking trails around its periphery.

Columbia Trail passes through Ken Lockwood Gorge, a nature preserve and premiere fly fishing area. The trail itself passes over the South Branch of the Raritan River (or simply "South Branch" to locals) in the midst of the gorge via an 80 foot (?) tall railroad trestle whose pillars are constructed of huge slabs of limestone from the quarry... yes, THAT quarry! ;)

Columbia Trail also passes through downtown Califon, where one can see the town's old train station (also built using limestone from the quarry), Rambo's General Store (dating back to the 1800s and still operational), and a number of buildings on the state and national registers of historic places. The town's historical society uses the train station as a museum... not sure of their hours, though I suspect they're open at least a few hours on Saturday or Sunday.

Oh yes... for those interested, Voorhees State Park has some good opportunities for catching frogs... :whistle: :)

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone, sorry I wasn't on the thread for a few days, I've been busy. --- Got married, went on honeymoon, busy with work etc.

Only 2.5 months to go - :thumbsup:

Latest posts