Fenix e15 question

Blackbeard

Enlightened
to get full lumens on turbo you need a rcr123, so I pop in an olight 650 mah rcr, but it drains it very fast and brightness steps down, even fresh off the charger, I get maybe 3-5 seconds of highest lumens, than it steps down. manual says should use the fenix brand rcr, but I figure thats more of a marketing ploy.

would the fenix rcr or higher mah battery provide longer turbo for this light or is it just a flawed design?

ven

Flashaholic
For that kind of output you would be better off with a high drain 16340. KeepPower would be one brand of IMR16340 that would suit your needs. Basically the cell can not cope with the Amps required to give the turbo output.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
the manual is very deceptive, it states step down would occur after 5 minutes on turbo with 16340, but doesnt state mah or chemistry, really think they failed on this info and/or the design itself if it cant handle what they recommend.

the fenix battery is 700mah, I cant see 50 mah being much better

Last edited:

Up All Night

Enlightened
Mine runs fine on AW ICR & IMR, pretty sure your issue is with the Olight battery. If memory serves, I believe HKJ said something along the lines of calling the Olight 16340 high drain would be a bit of a stretch.
This light pulls north of 1.3 amps on max, a 2C + discharge rate. For that reason I try to stick to IMR.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
ok, thx for response guys, I have an I2 charger on order, will get an imr after I receive it. It's a decent little light although I'm not crazy about the optic lens, beam very ringy. I would think a light with this body length wouldnt need the TIR lens a lot of the shorter lights are using.

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
For getting a smoother beam, you can unscrew and open up the head, then remove the white plastic cover between the optic and LED.
Removing the head takes a bit of effort though.
I had my E15 modded so the head was easy to unscrew. After removing the white plastic cover the beam was much better.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one of these (2016 edition) that I recently sold. I had picked up a Fenix 16340 for it at the same time and didn't have any issues running it. I trust a quality IMR (AW, AWT, Efest) would work well in it.

phosphor

Enlightened
to get full lumens on turbo you need a rcr123, so I pop in an olight 650 mah rcr, but it drains it very fast and brightness steps down, even fresh off the charger, I get maybe 3-5 seconds of highest lumens, than it steps down. manual says should use the fenix brand rcr, but I figure thats more of a marketing ploy.

would the fenix rcr or higher mah battery provide longer turbo for this light or is it just a flawed design?

I bought an E15 recently and had exactly the same experience...all I had in the house was a olight 650 mah rcr. I couldn't get more than 5 seconds on the highest setting with the Olight. Bought a Fenix rcr....problem solved. Those Olight rcrs are feeble.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
For getting a smoother beam, you can unscrew and open up the head, then remove the white plastic cover between the optic and LED.
Removing the head takes a bit of effort though.
I had my E15 modded so the head was easy to unscrew. After removing the white plastic cover the beam was much better.

I think I will leave that to the experts, I cant see myself getting the guts out of the head without seriously damaging the light, but nice that you got a better beam profile.

Blackbeard

Enlightened
finally got a couple of the 700mah fenix, now the light works normally...as much as I love my olight flashlights, their batteries are sub-par, I can't even top off the 16340 in nitecore I2 charger as it thinks the protection is tripped at 3.8 volts, so I have to use my older ultrafire charger for the olight battery. they should stick with flashlights and leave the batteries to others. I will use the olight 650mah in my s10, seems ok for that.

colight

Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback, @Blackbeard. Now I also know not to trust batteries from just any manufacturer. So far I've had only joy with my products, but then I stick to the recommended batteries! :popcorn: