Fenix Headband 25mm light..Can it be Done?

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
I really want to mount the TK21 in a Fenix headband but its about 3mm wider than what Fenix claims the Headband will fit.

Im just walking and not doing anything too extreme so can the larger light be clamped in with the understanding that it is not 100% secure or will it just simply not fit.

I cant find a good close up of the clamping system

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the holders on the Fenix headband will likely be too small for the TK21. However, I managed to use a TwoFish Lockblock over one of the Fenix headband holders to attach a ZebraLight SC600 to the headband. It is NOT the most secure attachment in that it leans a bit to one side...but it can certainly be done and is certainly usable in non-extreme situations. Scan through this thread to see what I mean.

Fenix Headband + Throw Light + ZebraLight Flood

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
I saw that before but missed the good close-up of the clamp...Thanks.

My problem is I am in Canada and the only place I found the $5.95 LockBlock that will ship to me has shipping costs of $72!!!!!!!

Any idea where I can pick one up in Canada??

edit: nevermind..I just found it a 4Sevens with free shipping...cool!

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just be warned that a TK21 might exceed the limits of the Fenix headband as far as feasible weight is concerned. I know you'll be able to clamp the TK21 onto the holder with the lockblock, but that amount of weight -- I dunno. It might want to tilt too heavily away from the head, but maybe the top strap would help. You'll just have to experiment with it.

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the TK21 U2 with the Fenix headband and I got that lockblock on order from 4sevens so I'm hoping it will work.

I really like the WIDE bright light from the H600 but it just doesnt throw far enough. I'm walking 4 dogs and often one will get out of range of the H600 and I'll have to pull out my TK35 to spot him.

Pretty soon it'll be too cold to hold the TK35 so Im hoping the TK21 and H600 on the Fenix headband is the perfect solution,

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Start wearing a bike helmet for your winter walks with the dogs. With a lockblock or a bikeblock (depending on the bridge configuration of the helmet), you can attached just about any light you want.

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
I kinda hate to admit this but there are some attractive women in the area where I walk and I think the bike helmet would look kinda goofy.

If the TK21 doesnt work I will use my PD31...it has better throw than the H600 but not by much.

Pretty confident I can get the TK21 to work somehow though.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah! I figured with four dogs you might be walking out somewhere that nobody could see you. But as far as the women are concerned, having a TK21 attached to your head might not be any better than a bike helmet... :p

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
Looking at the specs the TK21 U2 doesnt seem to be that much bigger than my PD31...its still a single 18650 battery holder.

and yea... im walking in a large park near an urban area so there's women out there jogging and walking dogs. Generally they like to hook up with me to walk because of the lights I carry.

But mabe your right..the TK21 may look freakish.

Anyway Ill post up a pic of the TK21 and H600 on my Fenix headband when all the stuff arrives.

Good info. in that link.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, it might end up being just fine. If not, you can always use the headband in other ways and a lockblock can come in handy, too -- so hopefully, it's a good investment for you one way or the other.

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
I still cant believe theres going to be an even floodier version of the H600.

To my rookie eyes this thing puts out a massive flood and doesnt really have a serious hot spot which is great for most situations but i really want the ability to reach out and light something in the distance if necessary.

Anyway thanks for the info on the lockblock and the Fenix Headband. One way or another I will get it solved.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I'm walking 4 dogs and often one will get out of range of the H600 and I'll have to pull out my TK35 to spot him.

Have you considered putting one of those cheap flashing LED pendant lights on each dog's collar ? The ones I have (the small chrome cylinder version with button cells) are bright enough to be seen further away than all except the serious "thrower" flashlights. Of course these will only let you see where your dog is, not what it is doing there ;)

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
Hi, yes I actually have a product called Glowdoggie on each of my dogs which is similar to what you describe.

The reason, I want the throw is that I am concerned about coyotes which can become aggressive in the winter when food is scarce.

MarkW

Newly Enlightened
Coyotes and attractive women in the same place. Hmmm. You live in interesting territory. . .

mikedeason

Newly Enlightened
Yes. Its a very large park space bordering a high density urban area. There is a kind of battle going on between wildlife and humans as the city encroaches further and further into the wilderness.