Fenix HL30 pre-production Review

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I saw it in the marketplace and read the spec. I didn't click on the link so I don't know if it's preorder or not.

It is preorder on the marketplace and you can try google shopping and amazon.com and ebay.com and you won't find any listing of it at all for sale. I am considering waiting for it to come on amazon.com as I was sent a gift card that would pay for it if the price was $50 or less but I am awaiting a few reviews of the final product.

YoSeKi

Newly Enlightened
The one being review is a XP-E.
02hl30front.jpg

It's hard to tell for sure, but it does look like there is an XP-G in there.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If used regularly, this is not important, but if you store one as backup, keep the batteries out of it.

Hmmm, that is not as easy as untwisting the tail cap half a turn. A master switch could be useful maybe?

A similar styled head lamp in the TIKKA XP2 is 88g but AAA are around 15g I think so the total is around 133g say, so close to the 141g of this and 2xAA. Looks pretty big on that styrofoam head you have there though. Not a normal size head is it?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does look like a XP-G, but the reviewer said it was a XP-E...

The Fenix specification sheet supplied with the review sample stated XP-E. If I remember when I get home I'll whip the lens off and double check.

Hmmm, that is not as easy as untwisting the tail cap half a turn. A master switch could be useful maybe?

A similar styled head lamp in the TIKKA XP2 is 88g but AAA are around 15g I think so the total is around 133g say, so close to the 141g of this and 2xAA. Looks pretty big on that styrofoam head you have there though. Not a normal size head is it?

The head is a bit small, in hat size probably XXS, it is just the most neutral thing I have to model a headlamp, not particularly liking self portraits, and not having Worzel Gummidge's abilities. I'll try to get something of a more 'average' size for future reviews.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd put any money on that being an XP-G, the die covers the whole area under the dome.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
What makes this light waterproof? I don't seem to be able to identify any o-ring to seal the light in the photos above. Thanks.

YoSeKi

Newly Enlightened
A similar styled head lamp in the TIKKA XP2 is 88g but AAA are around 15g I think so the total is around 133g say, so close to the 141g of this and 2xAA.

Petzl Tikka XP 2 is 52 grams without batteries and 88 grams with 3xAAA batteries.

Last edited:

spinkid

Newly Enlightened
Received mine yesterday but wish it came Thursday as I spent the weekend till yesterday helping with the storms in MD for work and would of put it through its paces on day 1. Only went out for some yardwork last night just to mess around with it. I am actually impressed with the beam in real world use. I am going to take this out for my work light and see how it goes when I go on-call. I think this is going to replace my Spark as about the only thing I really like about that light now for work is the runtime. With the Fenix, on the 45lm mode and its 10.5 hours runtime then with combined with the 80 degree beam this should work out perfect. The only early gripe is the headband. It almost seems like it came wrong as it does not want to stay in position. I will mess around as it's most likely operator error, but when its on, the light sits comfortable and is very stable with no noticable bounce when walking.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
... The only early gripe is the headband. It almost seems like it came wrong as it does not want to stay in position. I will mess around as it's most likely operator error, but when its on, the light sits comfortable and is very stable with no noticeable bounce when walking.

You are right the headband did come wrong. When I re-threaded it to match the diagram in the instructions it worked much better. If you look you can see a small gap in the adjustment buckle and by pulling it through that you can reformat the strap to match the diagram. I'll add a picture to this post later.

Edit to add picture:
This is how I reconfigured the headband. I do not have a before picture.
DSCN2298.jpg

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine today. So far it seems pretty nice. I've been wanting a decent 2AA light for years, since I wanted to standardize on AA size batteries. It wasn't unusual for me to have 4 different battery formats in my pack on one cave trip.

Here is a picture of that O-ring.
HL30_oring.jpg

I am not crazy about the way the battery compartment has to be popped open, it would be near impossible to open with gloves on or really cold hands. The screw on the Princeton Tecs is a much better closing mechanism. I would also prefer if it started on low every time but the mode memory is better than starting on high every time like so many headlamps do, and there will be times when memory is an advantage. The disadvantage is that you have to cycle through high and max to get to low.

Weight with eneloops is 105g.
The PT EOS with eneloops is 87g.

HL30vsEOS.jpg

HL30vsEOStop.jpg