Fenix L0D Aspheric possible?

jufam44

Enlightened
That's an interesting concept. Could you (with enough interest) get a custom run of maybe 75 aspheric lenses that would fit, or is that not feasible?

kts

Enlightened
The ledlenser is a crappy 4xAG13 powered round spot like beam.

I think its called minimoon, but it will only focus the beam if I hold the lens a few millimeters from the LODs front, maybe we need a lens with a shorter focus...

http://www.ledlenser.com.au/ledlenser_keyrings.htm

Its the 1 called V1 moon lenser halfway down the page.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
you could just cut a bit of plastic tubing or something, to space out the lens...is the diameter flush with the rest of the LOD?

Crenshaw

Illum

Flashaholic
thinking of telephotos are we? :lolsign:
finding a PVC tube that small may be a bit difficult, but if you can, cut it in half by length and fit the lens in in that manner before gluing it back in place.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
actually i was thinking of piping, as in, like hoses, you know....cos cutting it that small, it would be rigid enough to hold a circular shape...

Crenshaw

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
these just arrived. Slightly bigger in diameter then my Jet-u....any ideas? my new LOD is still a few days away..

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4588

Crenshaw

moon lander

Enlightened
I used a 1" piece of pvc pipe to fit a 1" aspheric lens on my rexlight. its removable and focusable with 1 hand. to give it a tight fit i added some velcro tape to the inside of the pvc pipe (the fuzzy side of the velcro).

it works like a charm, and i think an lod would be even better with the same aspheric, since it has a wider beam angle. the reflector on my rexlight truncates the beam before it hits the optic, where an lod reflector lets more of the direct beam hit the optic. light coming into the optic from the reflector is useless. the problem is you need a large optic to capture the whole beam.

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened
these just arrived. Slightly bigger in diameter then my Jet-u....any ideas? my new LOD is still a few days away..

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4588

Crenshaw

Hey whats the focus length of those
Try holding one so that it projects a image of the light bulb in your living room onto some white paper ,,then you have the fl

Isthereanybodyoutthere

Newly Enlightened
I used a 1" piece of pvc pipe to fit a 1" aspheric lens on my rexlight. its removable and focusable with 1 hand. to give it a tight fit i added some velcro tape to the inside of the pvc pipe (the fuzzy side of the velcro).

it works like a charm, and i think an lod would be even better with the same aspheric, since it has a wider beam angle. the reflector on my rexlight truncates the beam before it hits the optic, where an lod reflector lets more of the direct beam hit the optic. light coming into the optic from the reflector is useless. the problem is you need a large optic to capture the whole beam.

Hmm or a small one that has a short focus length
If the angle of the beam is 70
the lens only has to be 0,7xfl x2
if the beam is 90
the lens only has to be 1xfl x2
If the angle of the beam is 120
the lens only has to be 1,732xfl x2

If a cree has a beam angle of 70
and the lens has to be ( just a guess )12mm to fit
the fl has to be 8,571mm ,,or shorter
then you would capture all light coming out of the cree

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think its possible beacause the focal length is closer then the lens of the jet-U.. i did try with a bare Cree, i did manage to get the projected image of the LED, but didnt measure if, shall try when i get home :)

Crenshaw

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I've been looking for AAA candidates in stores but so far no luck..

My daughter's cheapy 3xAAA head over the L0D projects but it's obviously too big. :)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
SIGH!!!!

my LOD arrived dead. I just got back from hongkong, all excited about my new light. I get home and open it, put in a regular AAA Duracell, and nothing happened. Tried another one. Nothing happened. Tried the duracell in my Jet-u and it lit up. SOOOOO, dead LOD.. now i gotta wait another 2 odd weeks! :shakehead:hairpull:

Crenshaw

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
GUESS WHAT!

DSC00480.jpg

the lens above mentioned, held about 1-2mm in front of the LOD. My camera cant catch the lines on the die, cos its too bright, even on low..but they are there, this is perfectly focused..

Crenshaw

Illum

Flashaholic
wow...WOW! :wow:
just...wow

you just opened a new can o' worms in terms of functionality:nana:

I'm:sold:

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
How focussed is the beam?

Looks like the L0D can now double as a thrower ;)

Just realised I have one of these too, but I found mine from an old disposable camera. Works on my E0 well, but I don't own and L0D (yet).

Last edited:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crenshaw

Have you tried it on your ARC, just for kicks

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow...WOW! :wow:
just...wow

you just opened a new can o' worms in terms of functionality:nana:

I'm:sold:

try it, those lenses are reallyc cheap, something liek 4$ for 20? at dx, almost no risk...

its not really THAT much of an improvement, shall have to wait till tonight to try it outdoors, on high, with 10440s...:devil:

jarl, its perfectly focused, as in, its a projected image of the die...

dd61999, i did try, but the LED is too recessed, can get the right focal length..

so now im trying to work on building a sort of beamfilter cap, but with an aspheric lens....:devil:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I should have been more clear- how tight is the beam? Comparisons to your A9/NDI/L2d (do you have one of those?) would be really good to see what the hotspot is like.

wvaltakis2

Enlightened
I run my LO-Ti with a slip on aspheric made from a thread protector and a lens from KD. I just posted a few beamshots over in the home made and modified lights section, in my new builds thread. I'd post a link but there's no cut and paste on this damn iPhone.

~Chip