Fenix LD25, LD40 (link to pic thread)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
First Fenix light I've been enthusiastic about in quite a while.
That mirrors my sentiments exactly...
I could be wrong but I would think this should be a big seller for Fenix.
...and it looks like we're getting a consensus here. Big winner for Fenix here and the first Fenix that has caught my interest in ages.

Still hoping for colors since it's so easy to color the plastic bodies.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple more pix that fenix failed with the links:

20109193256375.jpg

20109193249687.jpg

20109193231561.jpg

20109193214992.jpg

2010919322703.jpg

Hopefully they realise their error soon and fix it. The links on their website have their local network address instead of the internet address.

red02

Enlightened
I wish (and I know I am the only one) that there was a 4hr run time even if at 200 lumen.
Right now I use an LD20 on Turbo for my night cycling and change the batteries halfway so I get about 4hrs total. I know from experience that High on LD20 is not quite bright enough.
With LD40 I would need to carry four extra batteries for that last 45min, or else carefully plan where to use High mode to get a bit extra run time.

But I still covet the LD40 and may get one just as a good flashlight to have.

50lm difference at that level will be imperceptible, unlike another hour of runtime.

I've been hammering this point for ages. Its much better to take a small hit in brightness (which my eyes will adjust to anyway) than to sacrifice efficiency for a few extra lumens. For a general purpose light there is nothing you can do with 250lm that you can't do with 200. But being able to do whatever you want longer makes a huge difference.

I really hope they release this in CW...

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
50lm difference at that level will be imperceptible, unlike another hour of runtime.

I've been hammering this point for ages. Its much better to take a small hit in brightness (which my eyes will adjust to anyway) than to sacrifice efficiency for a few extra lumens. For a general purpose light there is nothing you can do with 250lm that you can't do with 200. But being able to do whatever you want longer makes a huge difference.
Excellent post and it resounds with me on a daily basis, that so many get caught up in the theoretical numbers while giving too little thought to every day usage.

tandem

Enlightened
Re the LD40, there's a big gap between 110 and 248. +1 on having another "high" output level below max/turbo, above "high", that gives a substantial increase in runtime at that level over what is achievable on max output.

ps: anyone know what the frequency of the strobe and slow flashing mode pf the LD40 is?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I very rarely preorder a light, but I just finished putting my money down on an LD40 over at 4sevens. I'm cautiously optimistic that this light will find it's way into my rotation, though it's going to have be something really special to replace my beloved TK20.

Two things made my decision:
- throwy neutral XP-G
- dedicated power switch /w momentary

If it does indeed throw a neutral beam as far as they claim for over 3 hours, I can forgive the fact that they made the body in hard plastic and not rubber. Nothing a little hockey tape on the handle can't fix.

ASheep

Enlightened
The LD40 has really caught my attention! Over 3 hour runtime on turbo! :D My biggest concern is carrying spare batteries will be a royal PITA... But I guess if you use turbo sparingly, it will last quite a while. Only problem is the money factor, maybe I can justify it as a christmas present to myself...

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re the LD40, there's a big gap between 110 and 248. +1 on having another "high" output level below max/turbo, above "high", that gives a substantial increase in runtime at that level over what is achievable on max output.

I am not sure I will agree. I think the gap is very well chosed. According to most people's experience this difference will hardly be perceived at 2 times difference (in other words turbomode is noticable brighter though not very big), but the difference in runtime is 3 times. I don't think it's worth to have less than 2 times difference between brightness levels.

Regards, Patric

tandem

Enlightened
I'm agreeing with Red and others who would gladly trade a few lumen off Turbo for a longer runtime. There's almost 150 lumen between Turbo and High. I wonder what output would be if we could dial in say a 5 hour runtime. Chances are it would be noticeably brighter than "high".

Anyway, count me in as one of those pre-ordering this light. While I'd love to see a longer runtime at something less than turbo and more than "high", the LD40 promises to deliver a really usable combo of runtime and brightness.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I agree with the general principle that the trade off of runtime for output is often not worth it when you start pushing led's pretty hard, I actually think Fenix have made a very good call on this one. Yes 200 lumens may not be noticably less than 250, but then who's to say 180 would be noticably less than 200 etc, where do you draw the line?

I think that over a 3 hour runtime on Turbo mode is a very good bar to set, and then 110 lumens really is enough for most general situations, in which case no-one would care for a mid-point 200 lumen Turbo anyway.

I am glad they havent included a 1 hour 350 lumen mode or something along those lines, but 3 hours is generally enough not to worry about using up the batteries anyway, and if you only use Turbo on the occasions you genuinely need it, e.g. spotting at a distance, then I think you may be surprised at the difference in useful light that 50 lumens makes, even at that high output..

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
Wow this looks very interesting. I could see myself using this one for the car!

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

When the output starts getting this high, there should be more than four output levels. 5 would do the trick: 300, 150, 75, 37.5, 4

With the outputs that Fenix is using, you can run alkalines in turbo mode, runtime will be half, but it will work.

What kind of turbo it that?:devil: Turbo is supposed to be alkaline killing, heat dissipating [what is the limit of this design, maybe 3 watts? Is the current drive level of turbo, circa 1 amp, it?], angry blue creating madness.

Last edited:

Lawliet

Newly Enlightened
Right now I use an LD20 on Turbo for my night cycling and change the batteries halfway so I get about 4hrs total. I know from experience that High on LD20 is not quite bright enough.

Keep in mind that the LD40 has a more focused beam. In terms of throw the high mode should be close to the LD20's turbo.

NCT1

Newly Enlightened
What do you guys think of the ergos/design. Do you think it would be more comfortable to use then say the LD20. I suspect with a fatter handle and from the looks of it, It looks to be very comfortable to use.

tandem

Enlightened
Keep in mind that the LD40 has a more focused beam. In terms of throw the high mode should be close to the LD20's turbo.

May well be. The Fonarik photos hint at that. If so, this might prove to be my go-to light for night biking, with a LD10 R4 as a backup - just grab the cells from the LD40 if need be. Wonder if the LD40 will sit properly in a TwoFish light block...