Fenix LOD CE

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm using eneloop in mine too (thanks Coppertrail!). I actually did drain one to exhaustion, ran it on "high" nonstop for about 30 minutes (that's not the total runtime, I'd already been playing with the light all day before doing that) and it pooped out, making just a dim light on high and near extenction on low. Based on vtvincent's measurements I'd expect runtime on an eneloop to be a little under 1 hour on high, 2 hours on medium and 4-5 hours on low. Not bad at all. They do not have much of a "long tail" with nimh cells but I can live with that. I haven't tried an alkaline yet but I have so many of those that I may as well burn one just to see what happens. Runtime on a 10440 is probably in the 15-20 minute range on high (not much point to using a 10440 on anything other than high) but should be kept to short bursts because of heat.

mayo

Newly Enlightened
I've had my LOD CE for about 3 days now. I really love this light.

My obserations are; Medium on the LOD CE is the same as high on my LOP SE. And high on the LOD CE is the same as my Luxeon lottery winner MML3AA. A wonderful white light. Didn't realize my LOP SE was so purple. Dark ring is just slightly noticeable on white wall.

Ordered a 10440 for the wow factor.

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
..I have found my new favorite Fenix light! I own 8 different Fenix lights (L1P, L1P with Nekomane 123 body, P1, LOP, L1T, P1D-CE, L1D-CE and L0D-CE). These are all nice lights. The P1 was my favorite and I used one as my EDC for 7 months with zero problems. The P1 with a lithium ion rechargeable cell has a beautiful bright clean beam and the light is the perfect size for in the pocket carry. Before the P1 came out the L1P with Nekomane 123 body was my favorite and was my EDC for several months. Before that I carried the L1P. In the past two weeks I have gotten the P1D-CE, L1D-CE and L0D-CE. The P1D-CE is impressively bright but the ringy beam is annoying to me. It is also just enough larger than the P1 that it is a little large for in the pocket carry. The L1D-CE has a less ringy beam than my P1D-CE but it is too long for pocket EDC. The L0D-CE with an AW 10440 is now my favorite Fenix light. The beam from this light is beautiful. Almost as clean and bright (on high) as the P1 with a lithium ion rechargeable cell. With an AW 10440 in it on high if you hold the L0D-CE by the head of the light it only gets warm running for 1 minute. Freestanding on high it does get hot within 30 seconds. The medium level is ideal for most uses and the low is bright enough to still be very useful. The size of this light is perfect for pocket EDC.
JC

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
jclarksnakes said:
Before the P1 came out the L1P with Nekomane 123 body

I thought that the L1P didn't handle 3 volts ??? I know that the L1T head could handle it as it was the same head for the L2T but I read a few times here that the L1P went 'poof' on 3v ????

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1P was designed for use with battery Type 1 AA Alkaline or NIMH
The L2P can be used with battery Type 2 AA Alkaline or NIMH,
The L2P head works well from 1 AA cell as the electronics are different

Rooster_au

Newly Enlightened
Just to share some technical information about L0P CE:

Current draw from the battery - Normal: 0.45A, low: 0.12A, high: 0.75A.
PWM frequency: 100Hz - information from Fenix

The effect of PWM can be seen by looking at the shadow during urination - the apparent continous flow of the liquid appears as discontinous. Estimation of the flow speed and the observed segment length could be used as an input to estimate the PWM frequency.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
TORCH_BOY said:
The L1P was designed for use with battery Type 1 AA Alkaline or NIMH
The L2P can be used with battery Type 2 AA Alkaline or NIMH,
The L2P head works well from 1 AA cell as the electronics are different

That's what I thought, so how come jclarksnakes says he is running a L1P on 3v ???

BobbyRS

Enlightened
Jay R said:
If you ever come to sell your L0D-CE, remind me not to buy it....

I was thinking the same thing! :laughing: I think there are other ways to see the PWM. I don't want to have to hold something else when doing my business. Especially if it takes my attention away from what I am currently supposed to be doing. I am sure my wife would not like to hear about that.:laughing:

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
Moving fans are a good way to spot PWM. Or you could face a mirror in a darkened room and move the light around in front of you. Which reminds me, the L0D CE has two PWM settings, one for low and one for medium. One is 100Hz, does anyone know the other?(no biggie, just curious)
I've found that the PWM in the L0D CE is not bothersome. I can see it in certain situations, but it doesn't (to me) have an obvious flicker or give me any problems. Let me add that I can easily see if a computer monitor is running at 60Hz, but it really doesn't bother me. So those of you with PWM issues keep that in mind.

paulr

Flashaholic
Just wave the light around in the dark to see the pwm.

It's not the same as with a computer monitor since even with a short persistence phosphor, because of the scanning there's always some part of the screen lit up. Someone walking towards the screen in a dimly lit room doesn't look like a disco dancer under a strobe. The PWM really does create a noticable strobing effect if you light something with it that's moving.

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
Jay R said:
That's what I thought, so how come jclarksnakes says he is running a L1P on 3v ???

JayR,
....My L1P worked fine with the Nekomane body and a 123 primary cell. When Nekomane was first making these there was a lot of discussion about whether a 123 would smoke the l1P head. I do think a few people did have problems with them but mine worked fine. When the L2T came out I put that head on the nekomane body just to be a little more sure that it would be reliable.
JC

Luxson

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, just to share with you how I detect PWM. Just fan a finger up and down in front of your beam. You could see multiple fingers image if it is indeed PWM. A current regulated beam will show just your one finger while you wiggle. No need any equipment or pissing tools. :)

todo

Newly Enlightened
What are some good, easy to find AAA rechargable, batts for the L0D CE ? I mean something I can find at say wallyworld.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
todo said:
What are some good, easy to find AAA rechargable, batts for the L0D CE ? I mean something I can find at say wallyworld.

I'd recommend Duracell 1000's (heavy user) or Rayovac 800 hybrid (Infrequent usage).

Here is some data about how well NiMH batteries performed compared to the mAh rating on their wrapper:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/146927

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
todo said:

I got these at Wally World's. You get 4 in a package.

dsc04306smalltn7.jpg

chadwide

Newly Enlightened
It seems like the stated runtimes on the L0D CE are shorter than I would expect. If the XR-E makes 85-100 Lumes at 3.2 volts and 350 Mah then 50 Lumens should take around 175 MaH at 3.2 volts. Total watts would be about .56 The AAA cell should have about 1200 Mah at 1.5 volts or about 1.8 watt hours. The way I see it, the AAA cell should be able to deliver 50 Lumens for about 3 hours!!!!??? What Gives?