Fenix P2D CE Problem on Low Setting (Video)

wintermute

Enlightened
For $50.00 the light should work as led to believe in their advertising and spec sheets. Nowhere on any advertising or specs for the light does it say that it will flash when starting up. This sounds like a big glitch and quality control issue to me and it should be remedied.

I think we can all agree that the flash issue before low is a problem. I can only assume as the lights get better they will fix this issue. They may have upgraded the circuitry to a more efficient circuit recently, hence the new problems. I also am slightly bothered by the flash, but I just put my other hand over the lens (or press the lens against my shirt) to prevent the flash. I mostly use this light in high or turbo mode anyway - so it doesn't seem like a huge problem in my eyes. The low, is too bright IMO (especially with my Cree Q4 bin) - but hopefully with new driver revisions they will give us a lower low, along with eliminating the flash. I have the L1D and L2D bodies already - and will get the P2D body within a week to complete my boost Fenix lego set. :twothumbs

Overall though, I haven't had a light which performs up to the same standards for as inexpensive as this light is - $50 for a light which has 4 brightness settings (+ SOS and strobe), and can use a variety of different bodies and battery sources still seems like an excellent value in my eyes. I have one light which I have been playing with and modifying over the last couple of years with much more invested, and the Fenix light is brighter and out throws that light...hence why I am again upgrading my old light to another new driver and emitter. But this light can only use 2xAA NiMH, and it only has a single setting - so it's not anywhere near as versatile as my Fenix P2D/LxD lego set.

Still love the Fenix, even with the flash problem. Uncle Bob, are you considering selling your P2D due to the problems? If so, I could take it off your hands and keep the body, upgrade the emitter in the head, and resell it. Just let me know through PM. :wave:

Last edited:

wintermute

Enlightened
Speak for yourself. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. :cool:

I've already stated it doesn't bother me either, but it's obviously an incorrect way for a driver to start-up. Like RV7 already indicated, this was a problem with his drivers...one that he fixed. It's a minor flaw in the operation of the circuit (especially since earlier models did not exhibit the problem).

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it is not that big a deal. I don't want them to give up any efficiency to stop it. There is not a more efficient flashlight available at any price.

wintermute

Enlightened
For me it is not that big a deal. I don't want them to give up any efficiency to stop it. There is not a more efficient flashlight available at any price.

They wouldn't have to give up any efficiency to fix this. RV7 can probably comment more on this, since he had the same problem in the drivers he is building at one point - but is now fixed. His thread is here - and you can see some 3-D models of his new circuit here.

If you want to see what these LxD/P2D drivers look like, look at my thread here. I'm not sure if anyone has deduced how the light switches from the 'Low, Med, High, SOS' mode to the 'Turbo, Strobe' mode - but I think I've figured that out as well. On another plus side - if they would get rid of the strobe mode, then the bezel could be switched to Turbo and a forward-clicky momentary could be used!

Last edited:

Bob K

Newly Enlightened
Here's the response received from Fenix:

"It is normal like that. The circuit releases 100% output of the max brightness when you open it or change a mode. It is checking when you change to a new mode, so it needs about one second to go to the mode you want."

I don't like it, but it appears to be an expected response.

wintermute

Enlightened
From what I have heard from other members, the P3D does not do this - but considering it is a different driver this doesn't completly surprise me. If anyone with one of the old smooth reflectors wants to upgrade to a new unit - or if someone wants to maybe try 2 x 14500 batteries in a L2D body with a P3D head, I am willing to buy the older/semi-working head to do some testing with. Stock heads can be bought cheap from Fenix-store $32 with the discount, so if anyone wants to try something else (especially if you have the old smooth reflector, and you want to move to the textured reflector) I'll buy the old semi-sorking/old Fenix head from you for a decent price and your out of pocket expense to pick up the new head will be minimal. Let me know...only discontinued, semi non-working Fenix heads though...I am going to do some tests which would kill my warranty quickly - but you could get a brand spanking new head from Fenix-store within days for a minimal investment. Let me know thought PM..

All the best,
wintermute.

Last edited:

RV7

Newly Enlightened

In my case, I didn't have to give up anything to fix it.

btw, do you have any number to back up your top-efficiency claim?

RV7

Newly Enlightened
Here's the response received from Fenix:

"It is normal like that. The circuit releases 100% output of the max brightness when you open it or change a mode. It is checking when you change to a new mode, so it needs about one second to go to the mode you want."

Does this make sense to anyone? Not to me.

wintermute

Enlightened
Does this make sense to anyone? Not to me.

No - it makes no sense whatsoever. That is customer service drivel. It doesn't matter what they say - they know it is a minor problem and they should have it fixed the next driver revision...if someone else doesn't fix it first. :popcorn:

RV7

Newly Enlightened
A beauty, and pretty impressive figures... that gph is outstanding! Summer is here, have fun!

lucio

Newly Enlightened
come on guys, he didn't make any racial comment, he was just talking about products from China, and not about chinese people!

I think that it's a fact that a lot of repro comes from China. it doesn't mean that everything from China is cr*p, and generalizing is almost always wrong but... don't make it an affair of state, it was just a message.

anyway, i really love the P2D but that bug is quite annoying. oterwise that would be the perfect pocketable flashlight. well, maybe it still is but...

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
A beauty, and pretty impressive figures... that gph is outstanding! Summer is here, have fun!

The result of using an LSE electronic ignition system with, timing advance saves about 10% on fuel.

RV7

Newly Enlightened
Sounds great! Is that CS prop also a fancy electronic controlled 3 blade? Well guess it's not your type.

Mind telling me how many years it took you?

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds great! Is that CS prop also a fancy electronic controlled 3 blade? Well guess it's not your type.

Mind telling me how many years it took you?

Hydraulic controlled prop. 3 blade McCauley Hub Whirlwind blades. 19 years total, started in 1986. 10 year hiatus in the middle of the project. Went to Alaska 2 summers ago and did some Salmon fishing and flew to the arctic circle. Flew up through BC. First flight early 2005.