Fenix P2D CE Problem on Low Setting (Video)

wintermute

Enlightened
Maybe RV7 and XeRay should exchange emails or PM each other and try to attempt to stay on the topic of the OP. Just a thought - you all exhibit free will to choose which path you want to take...just a thought.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe RV7 and XeRay should exchange emails or PM each other and try to attempt to stay on the topic of the OP. Just a thought - you all exhibit free will to choose which path you want to take...just a thought.

Good Point. Did not expect it to go this far.

albert

Enlightened
My P2D does it too. No big deal for me, i can live with it. If they can improve on it, i'm sure they will. I choose to see it as current technical limitation, this is not a QC issue.

Fenix make GREAT lights with a CHEAP price tag.

RV7

Newly Enlightened
Sure wintermute.

As for the little bug, no it's not a QC issue, it's a R&D issue.

wintermute

Enlightened
Mine does it too!!

Some of the early L1D/L2D/P1D/P2D lights did not seem to do it. Then, there must have been some type of driver revision - and then the new issue arose. I suspect unless you were one of the first people to buy the lights - yours will probably exhibit the same "problem". As RV7 indicated, this isn't a quality control issue - it is a problem with the new driver revision...it is a R&D issue. I suspect that it will be fixed eventually - but a few of us may look into it in the meantime. :)

lucio

Newly Enlightened
so, in the end, which type of fenix cree-led i'll be sure, or almost sure, won't have this unpleasent problem? just the P3D?

Khaytsus

Enlightened
It's a non issue. It blips high power for a microsecond at first, no big deal. If it's a night vision issue, put the head against your leg or other hand when turning it on.

You don't even notice it after the first 10 times of turning it on.

wintermute

Enlightened
It's a non issue. It blips high power for a microsecond at first, no big deal. If it's a night vision issue, put the head against your leg or other hand when turning it on.

You don't even notice it after the first 10 times of turning it on.

Honestly - I agree about it being a non-issue, but I also like to have things work excellent. For those who are interested in a fix in the future - they may be able to get it. :D

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Honestly - I agree about it being a non-issue, but I also like to have things work excellent. For those who are interested in a fix in the future - they may be able to get it. :D

Yep, it's a quirk. It could be better. Just wanted to make my clear opinion that it shouldn't affect anyone purchasing the light. :D

The only problem I have with Fenix lights is their Lego approach.. Now I want more bodies :( :D

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened
Dudes .. there is no way this light has software.

Have you really read the WHOLE Thread?
AND the Thread Wintermute linked to?

Don't post something if you really do not have a clue what they are talking about:thinking:

Btw: Most ( not everything) that is more complicated than a 1 Mode flashlight has some kind of "Software".

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just thought you might want to know that the new P3D Rebel 100 does not do this at all! I received mine today and expected it to act just as my P2D CE, but to my suprise it didn't. One click and all you see is the lowest setting. No flash of turbo at all!

PegAir

Newly Enlightened
Have you really read the WHOLE Thread?
AND the Thread Wintermute linked to?

Don't post something if you really do not have a clue what they are talking about:thinking:

Btw: Most ( not everything) that is more complicated than a 1 Mode flashlight has some kind of "Software".

That wasn't a very friendly reply. Oh, and so you know, I build this sorta stuff for a living; day in and day out. :naughty:

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
PegAir: Fenix lights (multistage ones) use a small microcontroller to control the levels. Yes you could make a multistage light without one, but because the fenix also has other modes such as SOS, it's actually easier and cheaper to use a microcontroller. Others here have proved that it uses one.

Many other lights (as an example, Jetbeam C-LE) also use one.

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened
That wasn't a very friendly reply. Oh, and so you know, I build this sorta stuff for a living; day in and day out. :naughty:

Well... I if you:" ...built sorta stuff...", you should know better.
Take a microcontroller and leave it without its " software". What will happen when cycling the modes? Nothing... ( cycling modes was just an example, actually the whole flashlight won't work)

If you think this was very ruff, please take my apology. I did not want to offend someone but actually there a like hundreds of people who ask things that are clearly described in the same thread or some threads below in the list. Not to mention the search function...

btw: my P1D CE has the flickering too.

MfG Mr.Urahara rel.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
My new Fenix L2D CE with the orange peel reflector has that brief flash when first turning the light on to low mode.

Like some folks who have posted here, it's not a real problem to me. One would think it would be an easy problem to fix on future versions.

PegAir

Newly Enlightened
PegAir: Fenix lights (multistage ones) use a small microcontroller to control the levels.

Ah, hmm, well... I did a search and funny thing I had read a thread that took one apart and talked about a micro controller but oddly I'ld overlooked that term the first time through figuring it was a generic term being used for a specialty built Fenix chip.

Well... I if you:" ...built sorta stuff...", you should know better.
Take a microcontroller and leave it without its " software". What will happen when cycling the modes? Nothing... ( cycling modes was just an example, actually the whole flashlight won't work)

Its likely Firmware, but that's really a geeky, techie term. The whole true meaning of these terms is being lost as they propagate through the general public, and many manufacturers are responsible for this tending to use the wrong terms.

Firmware are device instructions to "re-wire" configurable electronics devices like FPGA's, CPLA's, etc.

Software are instructions for general purpose non configurable devices (e.g. micro processors).

I guess I'll have to waive off this discussion as its really academic and a guess anyway until I know the part # of the controller being used by fenix.

It would astound me to find any type of microprocessor though in a flashlight .. but .. wonders never cease.

knot

Banned
Firmware is software for your hardware. "Firmware can be thought of as "hard software."

Product Description
Product Description
Microprocessor regulation and six levels of output available on demand to meet any task. High-output or long runtime: now you can have both in one rugged LED flashlight. Constructed of aerospace grade aluminum with a rugged military specification hard-anodized finish, and powered by two lithium batteries (10-year shelf life), the U2 Ultra

Last edited: