Fenix P2D Issues

Vivi

Newly Enlightened
I just received a P2d CE in a trade and like it quite a bit. I had issues getting it to switch modes at first, then it worked, now it won't.

I tighten both ends all the way and turn the light on. It's on max power. I press the tailcap halfway and it's max power strobe. I loosen the light end bezel until it comes off and at no point does it switch off of max power mode. I try loosening the bezel with the light on, with the light off, I try tapping the tailcap halfway after loosening it some etc. No combination of these actions has gotten me anything but max power and max power strobe.

I've tried searching for threads covering this problem and saw some stuff about the battery type possibly affecting similar light models, so I thought I'd specify that I'm using an Energizer Lithium photo battery that says on the side +123 3.0V Pile Lithium Battery

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you need to clean out your threads.

If you look inside your light (the head), look for the green board with the silver ring around the outside.

this ring must be making contact with the head threads. (It shouldn't be) The head threads need to be isolated from the silver ring around the green board. make sure nothing is bridging the gap.

when the body of the flashlight hits the silver circle of the head it should go to high. The other threads are used for the low modes. Hope this helps.

After cleaning it out, make sure to re-lube it.

-Bobby

kts

Enlightened
A lot of Fenix issues have come up the last couple of days, in every case it has been a user issue:ironic:

If your bezel comes of the light has probably been taken apart in the past.

Vivi

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you need to clean out your threads.

If you look inside your light (the head), look for the green board with the silver ring around the outside.

this ring must be making contact with the head threads. (It shouldn't be) The head threads need to be isolated from the silver ring around the green board. make sure nothing is bridging the gap.

when the body of the flashlight hits the silver circle of the head it should go to high. The other threads are used for the low modes. Hope this helps.

After cleaning it out, make sure to re-lube it.

-Bobby

Not 100% sure what you're describing, but I took the light apart and cleaned and lubed the threads. Everything inside looks normal to me. But I still can't do anything at all to get the light to go to low or medium power. I can completely unscrew the light end bezel and it just stays on max power. Is it supposed to do that?

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look on this image. Do you see a silver ring on the green PCB? There is probably an electrical conductive contact between this ring and the threads. That is probably causing your troubles. Clean the ring and threads around it. Maybe you lubed it too much.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look on this image. Do you see a silver ring on the green PCB? There is probably an electrical conductive contact between this ring and the threads. That is probably causing your troubles. Clean the ring and threads around it. Maybe you lubed it too much.
This is very good advice. I was about to suggest the very same thing. I started looking for a pic for reference. Nice job jirik.

Vivi

Newly Enlightened

This was happening before I lubed it. I don't have a part of my light that looks exactly like that, but if I take the battery out the part underneath looks like that with a longer tube sticking out above it. I forgot to mention I have the CE edition, which might be why.

Regardless the insides are clean. I wiped them down again for good measure. I can still only access max power no matter what I do.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you haven't removed the head to clean and inspect those contacts...
Exactly! It sounds like you're removing the tailcap/switch rather than the head. Remove the head and clean the area between the ring on the board and the threads. There might be some built-up aluminum shavings in there, locking the light on turbo.

Vivi

Newly Enlightened
Exactly! It sounds like you're removing the tailcap/switch rather than the head. Remove the head and clean the area between the ring on the board and the threads. There might be some built-up aluminum shavings in there, locking the light on turbo.

I've removed the head and cleaned the area completely a total of three times now actually. Just did it again for good measure.

You don't happen to live near North Canton, Ohio do you?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I've removed the head and cleaned the area completely a total of three times now actually. Just did it again for good measure.

But check for anything between the threads and outer contact ring which can close that circuit.

Vivi

Newly Enlightened
But check for anything between the threads and outer contact ring which can close that circuit.

I did that when I "cleaned the area completely" and still nothing?

Also how can the circuit be closed if I take the head off completely and turn on the light? Because when I do this it's still max power and nothing else.

Vivi

Newly Enlightened
Wiping off and checking for a loose metal shaving is very different. Try checking for continuity between the ring and threads.

I did. There isn't any left since I cleaned it out three times. I still don't understand how the light can remain at max with the head not even attached to the light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I still don't understand how the light can remain at max with the head not even attached to the light.

Um, that's rather impossible.

Something is bridging the threads to the PCB outer contact ring.

A photo would be helpful.

Vivi

Newly Enlightened
Um, that's rather impossible.

Something is bridging the threads to the PCB outer contact ring.

A photo would be helpful.

That's exactly what's happening. I don't see anything that looks out of the ordinary in that area of the light. I'll upload a photo but it will take a minute because I have to go to a friends house since my POS laptop has a busted USB drive and my desktop is in limbo waiting for a replacement motherboard.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you using a 3.7 volt rechargeable Li-ion cell in the light? The symptom you're seeing is characteristic of a P2D when using a 3.7 volt Li-ion cell rather than a primary lithium or 3.0 volt rechargeable.

c_c

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you're removing the headcap/bezel. Is the LED out in the open when you take the head off? The section just below the headcap turns for changing modes.

edit; when you completely unscrew the section that changes modes, the battery will be able to come out that end.

Last edited:

Latest posts