Fenix T1 first impressions

Steel and Light

Newly Enlightened
Got mine yesterday. I really like it. Brighter than my Surefire 9p with the Wolfeyes drop-in. However, it won't shift into low after turning the head. It's bright all the time. I wrote Fenix-Store, might have got a faulty one. But, this is a nice light for the price!

wishywashy7

Enlightened
This is my first Fenix light and I'm impressed with the output and solid feel but the HA III has hairline cracks in it. They're not noticeable unless looking close but still a bummer on a $70 + light. Anyone else seeing this on their lights?

that's ok bro, many of us with the T1 have similar "cracks" on the flared portion where the bezel meets the battery tube. Lucky us because some owners report blemishes on the flat areas, where they are more noticeable.:sick2: I saw pics of that floating around somewhere here...

Anyways if you plan to EDC your new light or put it to hard use, it shouldnt be a big issue.

Merry Christmas and enjoy your new T1. I know I am :thumbsup:

Praxis

Enlightened
I agree with the orange button. The spare was also ORANGE!:ironic:

don't you just wish the low mode was just a bit lower? I still feel it is too bright, but that's just me:confused:

Did anyone get a tailcap that actually glows in the dark? When I ordered mine, I had the impression from the advertising that the tailcap book was GITD, but it just appears to be day-glo orange, for easy visibility under "low-light" conditions :confused:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did anyone get a tailcap that actually glows in the dark? When I ordered mine, I had the impression from the advertising that the tailcap book was GITD, but it just appears to be day-glo orange, for easy visibility under "low-light" conditions :confused:

Mine is GITD, but it's not that bright. It's like bits of green glow stuff mixed into the orange rubber. Hit it with a bright light, and then look at it, in the dark.

grandeyota

Newly Enlightened
Mine is GITD, but it's not that bright. It's like bits of green glow stuff mixed into the orange rubber. Hit it with a bright light, and then look at it, in the dark.
Mine is the same. It looks like some GITD glitter or something like that. I only noticed mine after hitting it with my Sams HID to see if it was there.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one of these.
I would like to see the size compared to a Gladius.

I want to carry it on a duty belt and the clip may be a deal breaker. I may end up upgrading my Gladius.

I have a Blade-tech 6P/magazine case designed to hold flashlights bezel up. The T1 fits in that, with the clip going over the outside of the holder.

If I get a chance tonight I will see if it fits in any other holsters I have.

carmatic

Newly Enlightened
ive just opened the package that my t1 came in... Never owned a 'proper' light before so dunno what to do with it! I still need to buy those 'camera flash' batteries so i could actually use it... The first thing you might wanna do is bend that clip outwards, and take off the head and bend the clip back slowly until it just touches the body, makes it alot easier to twist the head on the body and gives the torch an extra touch of class compared to how tight the clip was on the body...

Also i have a question... Does the circuitry switch off when it detects the battery voltage dropping below like 3v or something?

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive just opened the package that my t1 came in... Never owned a 'proper' light before so dunno what to do with it! I still need to buy those 'camera flash' batteries so i could actually use it...

Also i have a question... Does the circuitry switch off when it detects the battery voltage dropping below like 3v or something?

Just to make sure, you do know you can get those batteries for $1 to 2 each online, rather than $8 at local store right?

It doesn't switch off, it'll keep light up till battery is totally drained.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I just received a T1 and agree with many on the good and less good features. It is quite well built, literally like a tank. I can deal with the clip (would have preferred removable, but...) but the tailcap is the weak link for me. The three prongs make it very difficult to hold and activate the switch with my thumb. Admittedly I have small hands but I will very much welcome a replacement that eliminates the level of recess this creates. IN a single cell light it is not such a problem, but a two cell full grip light is not condusive to this design.

This is my first high output LED light and the output is impressive - I'll have some more thoughts later when I get to use it after dark...

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question: Does the T1 flicker as the batteries are depleted?

I see no flickering on the discharge graph on the Fenix advert yet it says it does on the Lighthound website. IMO the flickering makes the remaining battery life useless and is not much good on a "tactical" light.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is the same. It looks like some GITD glitter or something like that. I only noticed mine after hitting it with my Sams HID to see if it was there.

Haha, HID on the tailcap. :p I can get it to glow with my P2D on low, but the more light the better I guess. :)

Khaytsus

Enlightened
Haha, HID on the tailcap. :p I can get it to glow with my P2D on low, but the more light the better I guess. :)

Hit it with UV, it'll glow like a SOB fast. My Terralux UV Mag dropin makes all my GITD light up like the sun was hitting it almost instantly. Much more 'reactive' than with a normal LED.

carmatic

Newly Enlightened
nope didnt really know about getting them batteries cheaper online, at least my shop was doing a 3 for 2 deal so it wasnt as bad as it could have been...

Yeah that switch in the middle of that tailcap crown isnt making it easy to hit , i wish that they got rid of the tail standing in favour of a more comfy button, there seems to be no way to get the reflector off the led anyway...trying to hit the switch with one hand is a very cramp inducing exercise

The 'low mode' on this torch is already brighter than my old ministar extreme torch! The mode changing makes it feel like 2 torches in 1... When you use the high mode you feel guilty about blowing through your batteries, when you use low mode you feel guilty when people around you actually need abit more illumination...

basically, if you have to use one of these lights often, it makes every light source you see short of the Sun seem a little bit dimmer....

Last edited: