Fenix TK40

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregon

Enlightened
Battery compartment
Pq2ixbAr-7d2f699bed478b7e766e28cd09.jpg

Is the battery carrier made from Lexan (the bulletproof component in bullet proof glass)?

Why aren't the batteries bowing out where they meet each other in the middle? Oh, I see black rods running from top to bottom of the carrier so maybe this keeps the AAs in a straight line.

It might be instructive, fun and interesting to have this light's body made from Lexan. That would make it a great display unit for vendors and a kick for collectors.

How tough is Lexan?

Is Lexan used in any flashlights currently? Update: Thought I'd seen it before (Nightstar shake light): http://www.eco-outfitter.com/showpr...tstar-cs2-renewable-energy-flashlight-10-pack

oregon

Last edited:

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
This Fenix looks interesting. BUT, before i make a decision on it, I am going to wait and compare it to the new EagleTac that is coming out around the same time.

Do you have any more info on the Eagletac?

Just out: Yes, up to 900 out the front lumens, dual parrell 18650 four levels plus strob. Will start separate thread on the new EagleTac when I get off work.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
That battery compartment reminds me of the Coast/LL 7438 battery compartment, of course it looks nothing like it though.

Its maybe more robust than it looks in the photographs, its hard to say so lets not jump to conclusions and wait for somebody to do a good old Fenix torture test on it.:devil:

PsychoBunny

Enlightened
Its maybe more robust than it looks in the photographs, its hard to say so lets not jump to conclusions and wait for somebody to do a good old Fenix torture test on it.:devil:

I'm sure your right.
I'm a newbie, but I havent yet seen Fenix put out cheap crap.
Not yet anyway! :duh2:

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
How is this any better then Ultrafire 1300 Lumens light at DX?

8 AA batteries driving a single MC-E emitter (Fenix), vs 3 18650 rechargeables driving seven SSC U2 emitters (Ultrafire). Pretty different beasts, besides the fact that the Fenix is likely more geared for throw whereas the Ultrafire will likely be pretty floody. Won't know for sure though until we get some user input and side-by-side beamshots.

klas1

Newly Enlightened
8 AA batteries driving a single MC-E emitter (Fenix), vs 3 18650 rechargeables driving seven SSC U2 emitters (Ultrafire). Pretty different beasts, besides the fact that the Fenix is likely more geared for throw whereas the Ultrafire will likely be pretty floody. Won't know for sure though until we get some user input and side-by-side beamshots.

Ok, I am no expert here, but to me DX light seems a better bang:

Cheaper
Brighter*
Wider beam*

* Just an assumption from what I can tell

Both are large lights and for that reason I would go for the brightest I can get at that size

klas1

Newly Enlightened
i sense there is some resentment towards DX. I don't really care, I am looking for a good balance of price, size and brightness in a light.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
i sense there is some resentment towards DX. I don't really care, I am looking for a good balance of price, size and brightness in a light.

Look on this picture. LEDs in that light are placed in a loose module. That could cause big problems with cooling. If there is a bad thermal path between the module and body then the LEDs will probably cook inside the light.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast

If there is resentment, it is caused by all the lights people have purchased from there that have had problems right off the bat.
I'm sure you've heard the saying "you get what you pay for". In the world of flashlights that is true up to a certain point. A $50 2xAA light is going to be better than a $20 2xAA light. There comes a point of diminishing returns, but in most cases it is worth it to spend a little more and get a quality mid level (price wise) flashlight.

klas1

Newly Enlightened
not sure what "quality" you are referring to... as far as I know most of the lights (non DX) are made in China anyway.

squaat

Newly Enlightened
not sure what "quality" you are referring to... as far as I know most of the lights (non DX) are made in China anyway.

just because they are made in china doesn't mean that they are bad. I think most people around here will agree that Fenix (and some other chinese manufacturers) are of a higher quality than those "generic/no-name" lights found at DX.

DM51

Flashaholic
klas1... the topic of this thread is the Fenix TK40. You have absolutely no business butting in here with disruptive off-topic posts about DX lights. Your contributions have been irrelevant and of no benefit, and you are in danger of being taken for a troll. I suggest you stay out of the thread.

klas1

Newly Enlightened
sorry didn't meant to go off topic, I merely started asking why would this light be more expensive then the other one.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
sorry didn't meant to go off topic, I merely started asking why would this light be more expensive then the other one.

As has already been mentioned, "you get what you pay for". Having handled both Fenix lights and Ultrafire lights I have no doubt that the Fenix can take a lot more punishment and keep on going whereas the Ultrafire lights are... well... probably not going to survive any hard usage...

Last edited:

1anrm

Enlightened
Where are the specs! the specs! :hairpull: it's mid-Feb already! c'mon! :poke:

Status
Not open for further replies.