• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Final edition three stage Aeon

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbp

Flashaholic
Edited cuz im a doofus and was looking in the wrong thread.

Last edited:

sassaquin

Enlightened
I like ultralow too. Would be in pending driver behavior.

Would the infinite ramping mentioned earlier, be possible? QTC?

And if not, will it be like the old 2-stage twisty, but with three stages (I would abhor a Fenix-style twist-on-twist-offy).

The two level Aeon's UI is perfect, twist for low, twist more for high. Hopefully, the three level UI will be similar. Once you use an Aeon, most other UIs seem overly complicated and clumsy.

My aluminum Aeon (neutral LED) and Mako Flood are by far the best designed, highest quality and most treasured lights I own. :)

Almost forgot...I'm in.

Last edited:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
The three stage design will be like what I designed for the Aeon, just with another stage. It's a pretty nice, intuitive UI and I don't plan to stray from it. I do not like multiple on-off cycles to change modes like what most people use in some form or another - the interface proper is a bit kludgy for my tastes, and moreover, the implementations I've seen to date using microcontrollers tend to be fairly inefficient with their use of energy (which matters when you have tiny batteries).

All the best,

Enrique

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm finding it hard to believe that an emitter upgrade would put you back to the drawing board, but what do I know.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
F250XLT: Well, you're entitled to think whatever you'd like - I already made my position on the matter clear. This is not an "Aeon Mk. II" nor was it intended to be. I am out of stock on Aeons at this point and this is a request made by the OP and interested parties for a last batch before the line is closed out. If there's sufficient interest it will happen, and if there isn't, then it won't - simple as that.

Enrique

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only if he wants all the parts to be perfectly matched for each other, which he does.

F250XLT: Well, you're entitled to think whatever you'd like - I already made my position on the matter clear. This is not an "Aeon Mk. II" nor was it intended to be. I am out of stock on Aeons at this point and this is a request made by the OP and interested parties for a last batch before the line is closed out. If there's sufficient interest it will happen, and if there isn't, then it won't - simple as that.

Enrique

Perhaps you guys can enlighten me as to what makes the Aeon so different from most other lights...Just about every other light on the market can get a simple emitter upgrade without further modification, why is it so difficult in this case? Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.

Hamaremon

Newly Enlightened
Here's my understanding...

First, it's not a matter of whether an upgrade is physically possible or not, or something that makes the Aeon different, Enrique has already made it clear that he will not be upgrading the emitter for this next run, if it happens.

Second, although an emitter upgrade would be technically "possible", factors like die size & efficiency vary among different emitters, and a good light will have a reflector that is perfectly matched for the unique character of its emitter. The current Aeon reflector is perfectly matched for the XR-E, and merely swapping the emitter would likely result in loss of beam quality. As such, changing the emitter would likely require re-matching or redesigning a reflector in order to achieve the high quality standard that Enrique's products are known for. Some manufacturers or modders ignore these issues and often have the "newer is better" mentality, but I am of the belief there is more to a good light than it's lumen output.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my understanding...

First, it's not a matter of whether an upgrade is physically possible or not, or something that makes the Aeon different, Enrique has already made it clear that he will not be upgrading the emitter for this next run, if it happens.

Second, although an emitter upgrade would be technically "possible", factors like die size & efficiency vary among different emitters, and a good light will have a reflector that is perfectly matched for the unique character of its emitter. The current Aeon reflector is perfectly matched for the XR-E, and merely swapping the emitter would likely result in loss of beam quality. As such, changing the emitter would likely require re-matching or redesigning a reflector in order to achieve the high quality standard that Enrique's products are known for. Some manufacturers or modders ignore these issues and often have the "newer is better" mentality, but I am of the belief there is more to a good light than it's lumen output.

So you are saying the outdated emitter offered here, would be better than simply upgrading? You really think the Aeon reflector is so unique, that not newer emitter would work properly? I'd bet money they someone has done a simple emitter swap in the past, that has worked out fantastic.

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
F250XLT: Different LEDs have different package sizes, and different focal points. The reflector that is already designed and works with the Aeon as it was designed will not work with any other LED without substantial modification, both of the reflector, and its housing. Modifying the reflector would be a waste, anyway, since it's a hackjob and if I were to go through that kind of trouble I may as well design a completely new one to start with for whatever LED was chosen, and further completely redesign the head, and at that point, it's not an Aeon anymore.

I think it has been abundantly clear that this thread is about the possibility of a last batch of Aeons; If such a light doesn't meet your wants, that's fine, but that's not really the point of this thread, and I am not interested in belaboring this any further. If you want something different from an Aeon you will have to look elsewhere.

Enrique

Last edited:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
F250XLT: Different LEDs have different package sizes, and different focal points. The reflector that is already designed and works with the Aeon as it was designed will not work with any other LED without substantial modification, both of the reflector, and its housing. Modifying the reflector would be a waste, anyway, since it's a hackjob and if I were to go through that kind of trouble I may as well design a completely new one to start with for whatever LED was chosen, and further completely redesign the head, and at that point, it's not an Aeon anymore.

I think it has been abundantly clear that this thread is about the possibility of a last batch of Aeons; If such a light doesn't meet your wants, that's fine, but that's not really the point of this thread, and I am not interested in belaboring this any further. If you want something different from an Aeon you will have to look elsewhere.

Enrique

Awesome, I applaud you for designing a reflect like no other. Again, I wasn't trying to be difficult, just trying to understand why the Aeon is one of the only lights ever produced that cannot survive an LED upgrade. I love your work, and look forward to your future offerings.

fyrstormer

Banned
The XR-E emitter has a different beam pattern than pretty much every other LED made before or since. The only other outlier like that is the Luxeon "Joker". So yes, replacing the XR-E emitter would require a different reflector to ensure a good beam pattern, as opposed to just producing a good beam pattern by luck.

Most likely a newer emitter would produce a fine beam with the current reflector, if positioned correctly. In fact, there are people who have modded their Aeons and Nautili with newer emitters and by all accounts are pleased with the results. However, Muyshondt has made it pretty clear in the past that a design isn't "done right" in his opinion until he has thought about, planned, and tweaked every last aspect of it, so I doubt anyone could talk him into just swapping out one part and not worrying about what might happen. Even a slight difference in forward voltage would have some effect on the light's operation, and he wants to account for it.

BTW, I'm pretty sure the Nautilus reflector is a McR17-XR, and the Aeon reflector is a cut-down version of the same. If there are any differences, they are extremely minor as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.