Firefox 2.0 released

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the things I didn't like about the default 2.0 install is that there is an "X" on each tab to close it. I found that this can be changed to the old way by going to:
1. "Tools", "Options", "Tabbed Browsing", "Display Options"
2. Next to "Show tab closure buttons:", select "on the tab strip"
3. Click "OK" and you're all set.

For extensions that are no longer supported, I've found that you can change the install so it WILL install in 2.0 to try if it actually works. I have a few extensions that supposedly didn't support 2.0, but seems to be working flawlessly after I installed them using the hack.

Steps are:
1. Download and save the extension ".xpi" file onto your hard drive
2. Open the ".xpi" file in winzip and extract it to the root of one of your drives. e.g. E:\ Take note of which files were in the original zip file as you will need to recreate a new zip file.
3. Open "install.rdf" in a text editor
4. Look for and change the following line: <em:maxVersion>1.6</em:maxVersion> to <em:maxVersion>2.0</em:maxVersion>
5. Create a zip file with all the original files, but with the edited "index.rdf" file. Make sure that you create the zip file with the same folders that were originally in the ".xpi" file.
6. Rename the extension from ".zip" to ".xpi", then drag/drop it to the extensions window of Firefox to install.

cy

Flashaholic
hmmm mine doesn't have the tabbed browsing and display options. but I downloaded my copy pretty early...

gregw said:
One of the things I didn't like about the default 2.0 install is that there is an "X" on each tab to close it. I found that this can be changed to the old way by going to:

jtice

Flashaholic
Well, I had 2.0 installed, for a couple hours, went back to 1.5.0.7

The Tabs were UGLY, and I had to spend time getting a better looking theme.
Had to place the tabs on the bottom, after I found another Tab option extention that actually worked with 2.0

The last straw was a few extensions that I use alot, that wouldnt work with 2.0
I HATE that about the newer version, really messes up all the extentions :(
One that I HAD to have, was the BB Tag extention,
it lets you right click an image, and copy its url, with the / tags already on it.

~John

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy said:
hmmm mine doesn't have the tabbed browsing and display options. but I downloaded my copy pretty early...

Oops, I have Tab Browser Preferences 1.3.0 extension installed.. :) That probably accounts for the additional options..

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice said:
Well, I had 2.0 installed, for a couple hours, went back to 1.5.0.7

The Tabs were UGLY, and I had to spend time getting a better looking theme.
Had to place the tabs on the bottom, after I found another Tab option extention that actually worked with 2.0

The last straw was a few extensions that I use alot, that wouldnt work with 2.0
I HATE that about the newer version, really messes up all the extentions :(
One that I HAD to have, was the BB Tag extention,
it lets you right click an image, and copy its url, with the / tags already on it.

~John

I've "hacked" the xpi file for BB Tags that allows you to install under Firefox 2.0.. It seems to work just fine in Firefox 2.0... :) You can download the xpi file here.

cy

Flashaholic
always takes a bit for extensions to catch up with new releases...

having the spell checker...... is worth what ever minor inconveniences during transition.

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks GregW !!!

it seems to be working just fine !

Ok Ok, ill go BACK to 2.0 lol sheesh.
There is one other really important one I need to try to hack, the minimize to tray extension.

I will try your hack suggestions above, on it also.
man, I like this real time spell checker, and you all know how well I spell. :p

~John

jtice

Flashaholic
OK, found a bit of trouble with one of the extensions.

Tab Mix Plus, is the BEST Tabs extension, has a TON of options.
I hacked it to install in FF 2.0, it installed, but,,,,
when I went to FF options, and went to the tab section (which would normally bring up the Tab Mix Plus options) there is this odd error, looks like it was trying to display some of the code there.
BUT, if you goto add-ons (what used to be extensions in older FF versions)
you can click options there, and it displays just fine.

So far, the extension seems to be working fine.

I just wish the tabs looked like the older versions,
it just seems harder for me to see which has focus.
Might have to look into the themes again.

~John

jtice

Flashaholic
The Blue Qute Theme looks nice, barely changed the buttons,
but the FF frame, menus, and most of all, the tabs, looks like they used to. :thumbsup:

~John

jtice

Flashaholic
oh, meant to ask this earlier....

I just did all this here at work,
is there a way I can install 2.0 at home,
and basically copy some sort of settings directory from here at work, and paste it on the home computer?
So that I dont have to go through all this again at home?
Or is that just asking for trouble?

~John

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
gregw said:

That's wild. I don't have an option called tabbed browsing. Mine just has a "Tabs" tab when I open up options. When I click on that, I have no option to go to "display options". I bring up their help and it doesn't say anywhere in there anyting about showing or not showing tab closure buttons. I have to do some digging around I guess.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone tell me about anonymous browsing with Firefox, or a link to related info? I use Opera for fast and Java/cookie/DirectX-free browsing. I heard someone talking about Firefox being able to browse anonymously, even to the point of content being unknown to the ISP? I don't think I may have heard any of this right.

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bright Scouter said:
That's wild. I don't have an option called tabbed browsing. Mine just has a "Tabs" tab when I open up options. When I click on that, I have no option to go to "display options". I bring up their help and it doesn't say anywhere in there anyting about showing or not showing tab closure buttons. I have to do some digging around I guess.

Same here ???????????????

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bright Scouter, What version are you running ?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0

this end

Kind regards

Graham

Latest posts