Firefox 2.0 released

cy

Flashaholic
OK... thanks

downloaded and reinstalled a second time with no result. thought I was stuck with an old version.

man... I LOVE this new spell check! who cares about the ugly X tabs....

gregw said:
Oops, I have Tab Browser Preferences 1.3.0 extension installed.. :) That probably accounts for the additional options..

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
OK, I did find another site that listed another way to change the tab closure option.

Go to the url about:config, find "browser.tabs.closeButtons", and set it to "3" for the 1.5 behavior.

This worked for me. And just look at all the options you can change and REALLY screw up how it works!!!!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't remember if 1.5 had the x (close) buttons on the tabs, but I like them. I was always right clicking and closing, before. Now, I just click the x.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Trashman said:
I don't remember if 1.5 had the x (close) buttons on the tabs, but I like them. I was always right clicking and closing, before. Now, I just click the x.
You should be able to wheel-click on the tab and close it in both the new and older version. Sometimes, though, it's easy to forget what you've configured for yourself and what the defaults are. YMMV.

jtice

Flashaholic
Yes, clicking the wheel on a tab should close it in most all versions.
I am pretty sure thats by default also.

~John

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyway to get a mail link back in the toolbar??? It was there in 1.5 but doesn't have the option in 2.0. It makes it really easy to check my mail.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave this version a try, even downloaded the add-ons needed to emulate all the niceties available in Opera, but I ended going back to Opera...

What I didn't liked about Firefox:

- When I have many tabs open and I click on a new bookmark, instead of opening a new tab it loads in the actual one, and yes I configured the options accordingly (new pages should be opened in a new tab) it didnt worked at expected... Only workaround is pressing the scroll whell button to launch a new tab... WHY???

- When I closed firefox, all my tabs are closed by default, this is plain SILLY, luckily an add-on solved this

- Rearrange the toolbars, I could rearrange the bookmarks and the navigation bookmark, but I wanted to move the tabs toolbar above the navigation bar and I couldn't, looked for add ons and found none. I like the navbar to be the one at the bottom.

- go to url, in opera I select any word and I right button this function and it opens a new tab and goes to the page, if the selected word does not have .com it adds it automagically. Found an add on to do this but it was a 2 click solution instead of opera's 1

- mouse gestures, found and add on after looking a bit

So as you may notice at this point, almost all Opera functions are available as default or as add ons in firefox, but there are some User Interface details that IMHO need to be ironed out. I must say this is the firefox version I liked the most so far.

Pablo

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
tiktok 22 said:
Anyway to get a mail link back in the toolbar??? It was there in 1.5 but doesn't have the option in 2.0. It makes it really easy to check my mail.

I just drag and drop whichever links I want onto the tool bar, including my mail link and My eBay Summary. You've got to pick the right ones, though--sometimes you only drag a .JPG and not a working link. Not biggie, though, as you can easily remove the links by right clicking and deleting.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice said:
oh, meant to ask this earlier....

I just did all this here at work,
is there a way I can install 2.0 at home,
and basically copy some sort of settings directory from here at work, and paste it on the home computer?
So that I dont have to go through all this again at home?
Or is that just asking for trouble?

~John

yes, I did this while testing it and its simple:

goto:
C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

and copy (zip/rar) the whole folder and subfolders

then on the other machine take note of the unique ID, delete the old folder and use the zippped one from the other machine instead, using the ID you copied.

Voila!

Pablo

jtice

Flashaholic
Thanks Pablo,
I will keep that in mind also.
I just tried the Mozilla backup software that Geoff recommended.
So I will try to import that when I get home :)

~John

LEDMaster2003_V2

Newly Enlightened
I just d/led 2.0, and it is blazingly fast, almost 1/3 less time loading pages as the old FF.