"First Light" review of the Veleno Designs Quantum DD flashlight.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Yes it's normal, the magnet is used to hold the QTC in place, I tap the light firmly into my hand and the battery comes out easily.

Norm

egrep

Enlightened
Broken my promise. This night has been taxing and the beamshots I took are ... worthless. Second try tomorrow. My apologies.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Egrep, Im sure I speak for many when I say thank you very much for your time and contribution to the review of the Quantum DD.
Your keeping me at the edge of my seat and hounding the mailman seeing if I have a package from Illumination Supply.

I look forward to your follow up videos.

~Chris

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
egrep, would love to here your thoughts on your modded (XPG2, Nichia 219) ones.

How much brighter is the XPG2 than the 219? Which do you generally prefer?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
egrep, would love to here your thoughts on your modded (XPG2, Nichia 219) ones.

How much brighter is the XPG2 than the 219? Which do you generally prefer?
\

I had XPG2 side by side with XPG and only reall difference is the XPG2 has a more pleasant warm tint to it. Possiby a tiny bit brighter but I couldnt tell.

The Nichia 219 looked pink, but used in the hills it makes it perfect for seeing plants, trees, dirt, ect...but not as bright.

bigC

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Size comparison...

d83a1a2a-8da0-6904.jpg

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Size comparison...
Wow.
I am surprised that it is also pretty thin. Nowhere on the shop page was any mentioning of the diameter of the light, so i was expecting it to be pretty big, to be honest. But it seems that it is not thicker then the E05.

Neat. Guess I found a replacement for my preon 0.

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
\

I had XPG2 side by side with XPG and only reall difference is the XPG2 has a more pleasant warm tint to it. Possiby a tiny bit brighter but I couldnt tell.

The Nichia 219 looked pink, but used in the hills it makes it perfect for seeing plants, trees, dirt, ect...but not as bright.

bigC
bigC, Thanks for that, A 219 version down the line would be a nice option for those of us who have been spoiled by this LED.

guardpost3

Enlightened
I've had mine a few days now, and love it. I will get another in a heartbeat if they are ever offered with a 219. If not I will mod this one.

managermr

Newly Enlightened
Wow.
I am surprised that it is also pretty thin. Nowhere on the shop page was any mentioning of the diameter of the light, so i was expecting it to be pretty big, to be honest. But it seems that it is not thicker then the E05.

Neat. Guess I found a replacement for my preon 0.

My Quantum DD quickly replaced my Preon 0 on my keychain.

jlomein

Enlightened
img8953.jpg

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/jlomein/IMG_8953.jpg

Left to right: AAA battery, Four Sevens Preon P0, Peak Eiger (knurling removed/shaved body, 10180 size with QTC), Quantum DD, Modamag Drake, AA battery.

Very happy so far. I personally like the cool blue tint of the Quantum, although colour rendering isn't as good as the Nichia 219 in my Eiger. However, the Eiger is noticeably pink tinted. The beam patterns of the Quantum and the narrow optic Eiger seem very similar (both floody), with the Eiger having a small slightly more defined spot in the middle. Output of the Quantum appears slightly higher overall when compared side by side to the Nichia 219 Eiger. One downside is that the twisting interface is smoother and easier to use on the Eiger.

I'm really starting to prefer QTC interfaces on these 10180 lights. My Drake (three mode twist off and on rapidly interface) is seeing less and less use.

I use these 10180 lights as necklace lights, and in terms of jewellery appearance, the Drake is still best with the shiny chrome finish. The Drake's downside is that it always sits tilted on a neck chain. The Eiger and Quantum both lay symmetrically straight against my chest. Although both have machined stainless steel finishes, the Eiger is shinier and whiter/cleaner in appearance. The Quantum has a much darker grey gunmetal look to it.

In terms of similarly priced 10180 sized QTC production lights, you're looking at the Quantum DD or Eiger (10180 size available from Oveready).

Quantum advantages: more compact, tailstand ability, two optional tritium slots, battery and charger included.

Eiger advantages: smoother operation, high CRI Nichia 219 LED option, knurled or shaved bodies, multiple battery sizes (10180, 10280, AAA, 2xAAA)

For most, there's very little reason to choose an Eiger over the Quantum DD.

Last edited by a moderator: