"First Light" review of the Veleno Designs Quantum DD flashlight.

jlomein

Enlightened
Man I love my DD but is miss my Drake. Wish I had never sold it. :(
Great pics!

May I ask why you miss the Drake? I feel like it was way ahead of the game when it was released, but now more functional lights in the same size are being released.

PS: Cheers to Norm for the photo resize...I'm posting from my tablet at the moment...

moeman

Enlightened
Jonathan made a single speed Drake at 350 Ma. It was nice because no fiddling with settings, was decently bright, didn't get too hot, and lasted a little while.
:D

May I ask why you miss the Drake? I feel like it was way ahead of the game when it was released, but now more functional lights in the same size are being released.

PS: Cheers to Norm for the photo resize...I'm posting from my tablet at the moment...

jorgen

Enlightened
I love the Quantum dd. It has replaced my 4sevens cr2 on my keychain. I also use an Eiger 10180 body with an Ulta X head around my neck when I travel. the Eiger has a lot more throw which is useful in many more situations.

abras

Newly Enlightened
I use 4sevens CR2 as the smallest reliable keychain light. It's always with me.
I also have 1-st production 4sevens Preon 0 which is a not reliable for me.
So Mini CR2 is very powerful 130L (warm tints) up to 200 (new XP-G2) on a high level for 40 minutes. Direct drive though.
What will be the reason for me to buy Quantum DD ?
How long are run-times for each level,
how fast is charging of its battery
What are its weight and dimensions ?
Would like to see pics of comparison with CR2.

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
So Mini CR2 is very powerful 130L (warm tints) up to 200 (new XP-G2) on a high level for 40 minutes. Direct drive though.

The Mini CR2 can't use rechargeables right? That's why I didn't get one...

Ualnosaj

Enlightened

guardpost3

Enlightened

Runtime on max is around 100 lumens for about 8 minutes, there are no set "levels" because it is infinitely variable. Since it goes lower than any other light I have, it will most likely last quite a while when running on the lower end.

I've only charged the battery a few times, but it has charged in less than an hour each time.

Not sure of its exact dimensions but its TINY.

Here is a size comparison.

From left to right: 10180, CR2, CR123A, Quantum DD, Nitecore EZCR2w (sorry, dont have a FourSevens MiniCR2), FourSevens Ti Preon1.
IMAG0268-1.jpg

abras

Newly Enlightened
M-m-m... Looks like a useless gadget. 20-30 bucks maybe ok.
How many years the warranty ?
$60 and up I'd spend on new Zebras.

guardpost3

Enlightened
Well, it is certainly not useless, unless you have no use for a light that small. A lot of people do, and for those looking for neck light or keychain light, the Quantum could be ideal.

With people like Steve and Craig behind this light, I am not worried about a warranty.

Buy what makes you happy.

MKLight

Enlightened
Well, it is certainly not useless, unless you have no use for a light that small. A lot of people do, and for those looking for neck light or keychain light, the Quantum could be ideal.

With people like Steve and Craig behind this light, I am not worried about a warranty.

Buy what makes you happy.

+1 Also, I keep mine in my change pocket. It's an awesome tiny light that offers high quality craftsmanship, low, medium, and bright light. The overall high runtime is noticeably short, if the brightness is dialed down a bit, the runtime dramatically increases. Since receiving mine, I have not put it down. AWESOME LIGHT. Thanks guys!

Norm

Retired Administrator
M-m-m... Looks like a useless gadget. 20-30 bucks maybe ok.
How many years the warranty ?
$60 and up I'd spend on new Zebras.
Do you own a light of this style?
Unless you've owned this light I think it's very hard to pass comment.
It has an amazing amount of flood and will light up the entire front of my house very brightly, just remember this flashlight is half the size of your little finger.

Norm

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Polished up the stainless steel - took only a few minutes. Might spend a bit longer working through the various grits to get a mirror finnish.

DSC01897.jpg

Next to unpolished battery capsule

DSC01898.jpg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you own a light of this style?
Unless you've owned this light I think it's very hard to pass comment.
It has an amazing amount of flood and will light up the entire front of my house very brightly, just remember this flashlight is half the size of your little finger.

Norm

agreed. The DD is not last weeks Alibaba little keychain light. This thing steps up to the plate. solid, variable, special optics, QTC, rechargeable, bright

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
What grits did you start and finish with? Looks very nice and I think I want to do the same.

Went from steel wool, 1500, 6000 and 12000. Took less than 5 minutes.

I will spend longer time with the next light - 1500, 4800, 6000, 8000 and then 12000 and use polish. It should come up like a mirror.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
truly a beautiful light. holding out for now so i have something that someone can gift me teehee. i wonder if anyone will have any questioning with the airport screening since it sort of looks like a bullet.
usually i travel with about 4 lights and the v10r ti is the one that is consistently questioned for what it is.