First pistol

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Well, I fired the Kel-Tec for the first time today and I can say that while it's smaller, it's much easier to control my SO's phoenix .22. It seems the combination of a smaller pistol with a larger round produces a heck of a lot more recoil than the larger, heavier phoenix does, and there's a little too much travel on the Kel-Tec's trigger IMO.

It's still a workable device for me for self-defense, which is all I want it for.

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry my PT3AT every single day, even when I am carrying a larger handgun also. It is just such a perfect size for pocket carry you can almost forget you have it. I find it shoots just fine as long s you remember it is not a target pistol :). You will like it I think.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try instead using your entire hand on top of the slide, it will be much easier.
+1
Absolutely no doubt that it will always fire when called upon...
Bottom line is carrying a gun is intended to be comforting which sometimes comes before comfortable...
This is precisely why I EDC a .357 Ruger SP101. Nothing against the Glock's, in fact, should I one day choose to switch up to an auto, that's probably the way I'd go, for reliability alone. I don't want to start up an 'auto vs. revolver' debate nor do I wish to be flamed, so I'll be brief. The simplicity of a revolver is hard to beat. Sure it only holds 6 rounds (5 in my case), but in the heat of the moment, when are you gonna need more than that? The heavier frame controls recoil very well, despite only having a 2.25" barrel. It does kick a bit harder than an auto with a slide, but IMO, gives better feedback from each individual round squeezed off. Plus, to agree with the quoted text above, having 5 rounds of .357 is much more comforting to me than having 9-10 rounds of say .22LR. I'd much rather SOB carry a revolver in holster than a small auto in the front pocket, for quicker draw reasons.

This being said, it all comes down to which is best for you. What my preference is may not coincide with yours, and that's the beauty of firearms. There's something for everybody, and if there isn't....you can have it customized....for a $$$$$ of course :p.

Rayne

Newly Enlightened
Grats on getting your first gun Photon and glad your relative wasn't hurt! That pinch grip sure hurts my thumb and index finger when done in a quick motion as instructed in the NRA basic pistol class. Newb here myself.

KD5XB, I know what you're talking about with using your whole hand to pull the slide back. That's how I hold it when locking the slide back. I couldn't find pictures either. It's kind of like using your entire hand to pinch-hold the slide between your fingertips and heel of your palm....with the 4 fingertips on one side of the slide and the heel of your palm on the opposite side. Your thumb should be towards the hammer side and not on the muzzle side. HTH!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Grats on getting your first gun Photon and glad your relative wasn't hurt! That pinch grip sure hurts my thumb and index finger when done in a quick motion as instructed in the NRA basic pistol class. Newb here myself.

Thank you, Rayne. I took some advice here and bought some stair tread tape, and it really helps with the pinch grip. Now I can pull the slide back pretty quickly without significant discomfort. Thanks guys!

cy

Flashaholic
if you have a chance fire a double action pistol.

disadvantage of double action is it's advantage. meaning one is forced to operate a long stroke before firing. this extra travel means an extra margin of safety when handing a firearm under extreme pressure.

follow up shots are normal trigger travel. my main target air pistol is an IZH 46M with bushnell holosight. trigger is set at 7oz. which is high for a 10 meter gun. I can consistently hit a 50cent piece size target off-hand (no support) with a pistol at 15yds.

trigger is set to 1lb 8 oz on my Weatherby .270
most of my air rifles are also set to 1lb 8oz to match firearm triggers.
been averaging 500+ rounds per week for quite some time.

here's a pic of empties from this year.

pellettins.JPG

Last edited:

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
I have a Kel-Tec P3AT. .380 Auto. It's the same size as the P32 but a bit more bang out the front end. The slide will loosen up some but will never be really easy, just because the gun is too small to get a good grip. At 7 yards, that's about the limit of self defense, any further you may find a DA that is looking to make a name, at 7 yards I can empty it, point shooting, into the torso of a silohuette(sp) with every round counting. And it will disappear in a pocket.

I have a KT PF9 also. The smallest 9mm made. If I am dressed for it I will carry that instead of the .380. And my PF9 has a laser too.

The G19 Glock is a fabulous gun. Just a bit large for most concealed carry, but I enjoy shooting mine. And my fav is the Ruger P90 in .45 ACP. But it's mostly an in the house or range gun. Way too heavy for concealed carry, at least comfortably

Take the training, get a permit and PRATICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!

cy

Flashaholic
couldn't agree more... but it's the exception to find someone that actually puts in enough pistol (firearm) time to make themselves proficient.

this is why I'm such a HUGE proponent of using adult sized air pistols to practice with. no it's not better than shooting firearms, but weight, pointing characteristic, trigger release, etc can be very similar.

most important factor is you've got to bond with your pistol and enjoy shooting... enough rounds to make a difference. for me it took 50+ rounds per day over several months... your mileage may veri

Take the training, get a permit and PRATICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!

Last edited:

toos

Newly Enlightened
I usually carry the Kel-Tec P3AT when I need something to throw in my pocket. Mine had problems when I first got it and I had to send it back to the factory (lots of Failure to Extract cartridges). A little grease and a few hundred rounds through it after it came back from the factory and it has been reliable ever since. I use Wal-Mart ammo. Cheap and it feeds well.

If you want complete reliability, get a revolver. I also carry a Smith and Wesson 340PD. Light as balsa wood, almost as concealable as the P3AT, and it shoots .357 Magnum cartridges. Very pricey though. If 5 rounds of .357 won't stop the fight, then you need a tank.

Finally, the Glock 26, a favorite of many Government agencies. Not a true pocket gun, but very close. Uses the 9mm cartridge, easily obtained world-wide. Almost as reliable as a revolver. Simple to disassemble, lots of upgrades available, and it can take hi capacity magazines as well as the standard 10 round. I prefer it to the .40 Glock 27, although the 27 is a favorite of many law enforcement officers as a back-up. If you want to shoot cheap, get a Advantage Arms .22 adapter. It is a 10 second swap of the slide, looks the same as the 9mm, and uses the grip/receiver from your Glock 26. Only the weight is much less with the adapter on. Excellent way to keep up your marksmanship, but at a cost almost 1/10th of that for feeding the 9mm. Again, it is a lot more expensive than a Kel-Tec, but you pay for quality and reliability out of the box, same as with the Smith and Wesson.

Best approach is to avoid the fight and give them what they want if its just your wallet, but then again there are people who will harm you no matter how compliant you are. Like Colonel Colt, I trust in the great equalizer.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I also carry a Smith and Wesson 340PD. Light as balsa wood, almost as concealable as the P3AT, and it shoots .357 Magnum cartridges.

Wow, that's a nice looking little revolver. But isn't it a bit difficult to shoot .357 rounds with three fingers?

toos

Newly Enlightened
Yes, that's the downside to the 340PD. It has one Hell of a kick. After 20 rounds or so, it really is not much fun to shoot. But it meets all the carry criteria; light, powerful, small, accurate.

supes

Enlightened
Have you looked at the new S&W M&P semi-auto line? An ergonomic glock with an even easier trigger pull, imo. Plus, lifetime warranty. Plus, free promotion with 2 mags for the rest of the month.

I sure don't have enough time or money to practice at the range, so I try to dry-fire with snap caps as much as I can. Like cy said, having replicas for training and practice is another valuable asset to keeping the skills and familiarity up.

Once you narrow down, what role the handgun will play in your life(such as carry, night stand, back up,etc), it will be easier to narrow down, the type of handgun that is best suited for you.

Buy as many bullets as your can afford. :D I like 9mm for economical reasons.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thanks guys. We just bought a set of snap caps for the Kel-Tec to get a better feel for it without risking damage to the firing pin.

It bugs me a little bit that it doesn't have a safety. I suppose the long, nonlinear travel of the trigger acts as a sort-of safety, although I'd be worried about carrying a chambered round all the time. IS there any kind of attachable, quick release safety device that can be added?

supes

Enlightened
I'll be honest here, I felt the same way as you when packing my P2000 with no external manual safety switch like on a 1911 or BHP, with one in the pipe, but I slowly progressed to it. My reasoning is if there is not one ready to go, that means it will delay the firing of the weapon, and with that means, less time for you and more for the bad guy(s). In certain situations, there are only single digit seconds for reaction and action. Anymore, and there may not be a next time to contemplate about it.

With that said, I did this,
1. carry, no round in pipe, loaded mag,
2. then put a snap cap in the chamber, loaded mag, then finally,
3. one hot round in the chamber with loaded mag.
Also, have an extra mag with you at all times, or another handgun. You have to be confident with it, take it at your own pace and don't let the talk pressure you otherwise. Its better to have a gun then nothing at all.

The main thing with carrying handguns imo, is having a good solid holster that will cover the trigger area. This will aid in the prevention of negligent discharges. Also, re-holstering with attention and practice, making damn sure nothing(like shirt, thumb break,finger,etc.) are in the way. I cannot think of a situation where there is a need to quickly re-holster you weapon, so take your time.

Taurus is bringing out a new slim 9mm single stack pocket pistol very soon with an external manual safety. Looks interesting.

If you want minimalist, Raven Concealment makes a kydex piece that only covers the trigger area. Its a simple and genius design.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Hmm, I like the idea of a snap cap in the chamber with a loaded mag, at least until I get more comfortable with it. Thanks for the tip, supes. And I do have an extra mag. Next step is a decent holster.

SnWnMe

Enlightened
If you are carrying it for protection it makes little sense to carry it with a snap cap in the pipe until you get used to it.

With an empty chamber (condition three) you will need BOTH hands to get your gun into action. If you were under attack then you might not have both hands available.

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
If the gun is not ready to go bang it's a weird shaped rock. To be useful there must be a round ready to squeeze the trigger. There WILL NOT BE time to rack the slide to bring the weapon to bear against the BG. Therefore carry a very big gun to use as a club. ;-)

I had a bunch more written, but it boils down to:

Are you ready to use that gun? If not, leave it wiithout a round in the chamber and at home. If yes, carry it with a round ready and safety off in a proper concealed holster.