First pistol

revs

Newly Enlightened
It will help settle the contents a bit. The spring will loosen up with use. But, it will also get too loose, but that takes a lot of rounds through it to do that. Luckily most companies make replacement springs for their mags.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised no one has really mentioned trigger discipline! This is especially true for any hip action. It's so easy to re-holster and forget you have your finger on the trigger... and *bam* you shoot yourself in the leg.

It's the number one concern for me when I'm at the range, when to put my finger on the trigger and when to take it off. Sounds really simple, but it's a completely different story when I try to remember to do it. I have to actually *think* about doing it. When one handles a gun, it feels natural to put your finger on the trigger... I guess that's why it's so tempting to keep it there.

I've taught many new students and this is the one area they have a lot of trouble grasping. It just takes lots of practice, practice, practice.

Another great thing to remember is to never point your gun at something until you're absolutely certain about what you're shooting. Even when you're handling an empty weapon, always pretend it's loaded. This will put you in the mindset and discipline of handling a firearm properly.

A bit off topic, but since we're on the subject of safe shooting...

Some guy's pointing his gun downrange, and he turns to his buddy to say something to him... with his trigger on the finger of a loaded gun now pointed in a different direction.:shakehead

Happens every time, without fail. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGH!:ohgeez: The one thing I HATE seeing at the range.

Last edited:

SnWnMe

Enlightened
I'm surprised no one has really mentioned trigger discipline! This is especially true for any hip action. It's so easy to re-holster and forget you have your finger on the trigger... and *bam* you shoot yourself in the leg.​

I was assuming that we are past the 4 rules. Trigger discipline is not especially true in certain times. It is true ALL the time as per the 3rd rule.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was assuming that we are past the 4 rules. Trigger discipline is not especially true in certain times. It is true ALL the time as per the 3rd rule.

I'm hard pressed to find an exception to the rule... clue us in on a few?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've taken the basic safety course and the instructor really stressed trigger safety. I agree that it feels natural to just rest your finger on the trigger, but he stressed the point of keeping that index finger out of the trigger area and held parallel to the barrel until ready to shoot. I'm goign to try to keep this point at the front of my mind whenever handling the firearm.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I agree that it feels natural to just rest your finger on the trigger, but he stressed the point of keeping that index finger out of the trigger area and held parallel to the barrel until ready to shoot.

Actually, train yourself to keep that trigger finger as high up along the slide as you can. Have it rest on the ejection port if need be - "give it something else to do", as they say. Practice, practice, practice, and keeping the finger of the trigger will become second nature.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Actually, train yourself to keep that trigger finger as high up along the slide as you can. Have it rest on the ejection port if need be - "give it something else to do", as they say. Practice, practice, practice, and keeping the finger of the trigger will become second nature.

"Give it something else to do" - good advice, GreenLED. Thanks.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Give it something else to do" - good advice, GreenLED. Thanks.

They say the best safety (and IMO the only reliable safety) is your finger. Everyone complains about how Glocks don't have a manual safety, but if you're well disciplined with that finger it's not a problem. Like some have already mentioned, in the moment of heat there just isn't any time to mess with anything else but the trigger.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Neat Thread! :)

I hear what some are saying buy I don't agree that there's no time for anything but the trigger but I do agree that the finger is the ultimate safety. A well designed safety is very fluid as the renowned 1911 so thoroughly proves. That said, I typically carry the G19 or G20 on the street but often shoot custom 1911's at the matches because they're faster in nearly every mechanical function.

With regards to familiarizing new shooters I often make the analogy that no body does much conscious thinking when eating with a fork. With enough proper practice, safely operating a firearm in a "high performance" method can become an auto function much the same. After a while supreme confidence can be gained but at some point it goes beyond that. That's what I consider to be the "fork" stage. I think it's easiest for people who start when they're young but most can learn if they dedicate themselves and have good instruction. The single most common problem I see is that so many people stop learning after their first few trips to the range. They unwittingly instill, then carry with them, a multitude of bad habits for the rest of their shooting lives. Never be afraid to ask a seasoned shooter or instructor to occasionally review your techniques especially early in your development. Usually they are eager to help and won't even charge you for a session if you buy them a soda. They'll be able to quickly identify several problems with your fundamentals that may be invisible to you. Even the best shooters in the world often have coaches, critique one another, or study themselves on video from an expert point of view.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The single most common problem I see is that so many people stop learning after their first few trips to the range. They unwittingly instill, then carry with them, a multitude of bad habits for the rest of their shooting lives.

Great point, it's a lot like when people learn how to drive. Many folks study the DMV manual, get their license, then throw the DMV manual out the window.

Never be afraid to ask a seasoned shooter or instructor to occasionally review your techniques especially early in your development. Usually they are eager to help and won't even charge you for a session if you buy them a soda. They'll be able to quickly identify several problems with your fundamentals that may be invisible to you. Even the best shooters in the world often have coaches, critique one another, or study themselves on video from an expert point of view.

I agree. Most experienced shooters will not only give you a few pointers but tell you what's going on. I'm mostly self taught, so I have to accept my mistakes with humility... but it pays off big time.:thumbsup: I think it's made me a better person overall because of that.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
PW, after a while the finger will feel natural outside of the trigger guard. Since the gun spends the most time in the hand while not being fired you'll eventually only feel natural when the finger is resting along side the frame. The brain will go into "fire" mode when the finger comes off its home position.

Dudemar, regarding the your driver analogy, I'd have to break it into 2 groups. Group 1 would be your DMV book example. In group one would be the basics like safety, learning to use the vehicle control controls, and rules of the road.

Group 2 would consist of anything that occurred outside of the rhelm of normal driving. By never taking any higher form of learning they put themselves at higher risk if something goes wrong. Maybe they've never had any time on an obstacle coarse or race track with a qualified instructor. Perhaps they've never practiced and emergency lane change, felt their car slide or even used their brakes anywhere near their full potential....most drivers haven't. In other words anything that occurs outside of the drivers normal range or envelope of knowledge could potentially throw them a serious loop.

When the driving analogy is transferred over to shooting, group 1 would be the basics starting with safe operation and shooter technique. Group 2 would be taking the training to a level outside of bulls eye shooting. Maybe that's "tactical" shooting for some, like those interested in CCW, but it could just be leaning the advanced bio mechanics and mental training necessary for High Power or Silhouette shooting.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
PW, after a while the finger will feel natural outside of the trigger guard. Since the gun spends the most time in the hand while not being fired you'll eventually only feel natural when the finger is resting along side the frame. The brain will go into "fire" mode when the finger comes off its home position.

Thanks, Patriot. I'm sure it will take time and practice. I've got a lot of things to fine tune including my grip. One instructor said that I should be placing one thumb next to the other, and I haven't gotten into that habit yet either. I'm not suire how much that one matters as I seem to be doing ok with my accuracy without that, but we'll see.

greenLED

Flashaholic
You're welcom, PW - just passing along a little something I heard somewhere. ;)

One instructor said that I should be placing one thumb next to the other, and I haven't gotten into that habit yet either. I'm not suire how much that one matters as I seem to be doing ok with my accuracy without that, but we'll see.

Fully gripping the pistol and the resulting aid in accuracy is only part of it. As you move onto other guns (which you might or might not do), you'll find that certain thumb placements interfere with the gun's controls, or that you can't operate the controls properly.

The most "simple, logical and universal" (I was taught basic gun skills should adhere to those principles) way of placing your thumbs to prevent these instances is to place the thumbs one next to the other. If you adhere to the 3 principles, you'll have less trouble when using unfamiliar guns.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dudemar, regarding the your driver analogy, I'd have to break it into 2 groups. Group 1 would be your DMV book example. In group one would be the basics like safety, learning to use the vehicle control controls, and rules of the road.

Group 2 would consist of anything that occurred outside of the rhelm of normal driving. By never taking any higher form of learning they put themselves at higher risk if something goes wrong. Maybe they've never had any time on an obstacle coarse or race track with a qualified instructor. Perhaps they've never practiced and emergency lane change, felt their car slide or even used their brakes anywhere near their full potential....most drivers haven't. In other words anything that occurs outside of the drivers normal range or envelope of knowledge could potentially throw them a serious loop.

When the driving analogy is transferred over to shooting, group 1 would be the basics starting with safe operation and shooter technique. Group 2 would be taking the training to a level outside of bulls eye shooting. Maybe that's "tactical" shooting for some, like those interested in CCW, but it could just be leaning the advanced bio mechanics and mental training necessary for High Power or Silhouette shooting.

Great post Pat36!:twothumbs

My analogy was geared more towards folks who start making up their own rules after they "throw the book out the window", stubbornly thinking they are always in the right.:shakehead

"I've been driving/shooting for X years!" is a commonly uttered phrase. That just means you've been doing it wrong for X years!:laughing:

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're welcom, PW - just passing along a little something I heard somewhere. ;)

Fully gripping the pistol and the resulting aid in accuracy is only part of it. As you move onto other guns (which you might or might not do), you'll find that certain thumb placements interfere with the gun's controls, or that you can't operate the controls properly.

The most "simple, logical and universal" (I was taught basic gun skills should adhere to those principles) way of placing your thumbs to prevent these instances is to place the thumbs one next to the other. If you adhere to the 3 principles, you'll have less trouble when using unfamiliar guns.

Also when firing a semi-auto handgun, be sure to not put your palm near or on the magazine. This leads to jams/feeding problems.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Also when firing a semi-auto handgun, be sure to not put your palm near or on the magazine. This leads to jams/feeding problems.

Do you mean on the bottom of the magazine? I usually keep my palm against the side of the handle.

Oh, and I've learned the hard way about keeping my fingers away from the slider while firing. Ouch! :eek:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the bottom, and if possible any contact with it during firing.

The slide can be painful. Just try to stay out of the way of the action and you'll be ok.:thumbsup: I owned a Desert Eagle 44 Magnum (my first gun) and it has dual recoil springs. If my finger was in the chamber area checking for a round and it accidentally slid shut, I would've lost a finger.:eek:

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Speaking of loosing a finger. . .Make sure this doesn't happen to anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu3RO3Lr4fM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLIZu-8uhA&feature=related

* * * GRAPHIC PICTURE SHOT * * *

BustedThumb.jpg

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on what the Admins think I don't think that picture will be up for very long...

:barf::barf::barf:

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
finger doesn't touch trigger unless your are ready to fire
don't ever point your weapon at anything you don't want to destroy
always assume weapon is loaded unless proven otherwise

this gets back to practice.. practice and more practice.
the more trigger time one gets in... the more proficient one gets.. nothing complicated about that.

most of my trigger time is spent with IZH 46M 10 meter pistol set to 230 grams. with a trigger that light... you don't go anywhere near that trigger unless you are ready to fire.

under stress your body reacts differently... think holding a hair trigger on an unknown target... this why my preference is for a double action trigger... at least for the first shot.

izh 46m trigger.JPG

Last edited: