flashing multiple Luxeon? (red Luxeon rear bike blinker)

Timson

Enlightened
This link may be of interest....

This thing uses a red Luxlll for 140 Lu.
It doesn't have emitters facing in different directions, but when something floods this much light out the back and onto the ground...who needs em'.

Try the link...DiNotte Lighting

Looks pretty awesome to me.

Edit - Just noticed that GreenLED has already mentioned the DiNotte light in post #3 - so has already ruled that out as an over-the-top price option.....I'll leave the link in as others (with deeper pockets) may be interested.

Tim.

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
If you drop something like that, chances are it'll crack in the corner.. it actually looks like it cracking from being tightened down too hard in one of the corners on a photo. :shrug:

Although an interesting concept.

john

n_den

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
This is my ideal bike taillight:
  • 3-5 red Luxes: 3 pointing directly back and 2 pointing sideways (or a at 45-60º from the other 3), or 1 pointing back and 2 sideways.
  • 2 modes: on/blinking/"chase" mode - none of those silly 7 mode lights that do nothing but annoy me when I have to cycle through all of them 3 times to turn the light off... :hairpull:
  • waterproof to 1m
  • simple battery options - since I'm a geek, 123's will do, thankyouverymuch, but I don't mind AA's (no AAA's or external)
  • small
Short of all that, does anybody know of a circuit that will drive 3-5 red Luxeons and provide flashing functionality?

using the KISS method, i've come up with this for the circuit as opposed to the 555 IC circuit:
  • Driver: LuxDrive 3021-D-E-XXXX
  • Control: Cheap off-the-shelf flashing LED & on/off toggle switch

on the work bench:
i'm using a 3021-D-E-1000 (you can use 350 or 700) it runs off of a 12v power supply and drives (1) Lux III-red & (2) K2's (don't have any spare reds), connected in series.

• connect the power and output leads of the driver to the power source and led array,
  • connect one lead of the toggle switch to the power source(12vdc),
  • connect the other lead of the toggle switch to the positive lead of the flashing led,
  • connect the negative lead of the flashing led to the CTRL pin of the 3021 driver.

when power is applied the on/off switch controls the leds to flash or always on. to turn completely off, disconnect the circuit from the power source.

• cost of 3021 around $20us
  • cost of flashing led around $3us
  • cost of toggle switch around $5us

you can put it in your led array housing or keep it separate.

pros/cons: diy, cheap, quick & small / no control of flash rate, no chasing mode

well its a start. n_den :)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I HAD a rear light form NiteRider and it was bright about 20 ultra high output 5mm red leds with 2 modes blinking and on. Easy use hold for on press for switching modes. Then it alogn with a battery pack and a headlamp got stolen. with bike.

Bill

Newly Enlightened
I saw my son's DiNotte tailight over the holidays. It is extremely bright and looks like the photo on the DiNotte site (not the one on snow!). The light weighs little, works well on AA NiMH cells and seems durable. It is expensive, but I think it is a good value for safety during daily commuting.

Bill

greenLED

Flashaholic
jch79 said:
If you drop something like that, chances are it'll crack in the corner.. it actually looks like it cracking from being tightened down too hard in one of the corners on a photo.
The crack in the corner in that light was machining slippage, but you're absolutely right nevertheless; acrylic will crack under impact, which is the problem I've been having with my lights.

n_den, we need pics of that setup! I think you've taken many steps in the right direction. Can that circuit be powered with anything under 12V? I still would like to keep the batteries internal, if at all possible.
:goodjob:

Bill said:
I saw my son's DiNotte tailight over the holidays. ... I think it is a good value for safety during daily commuting.
Yeah, I've drooled over that puppy almost as much as I drool over HID light packages... but purchasing one ain't gonna happen on my budget.

Your post got me thinking, though... how about modding a PT Eos? A red Lux is pretty much a direct replacement. Plop in a wide-angle acrylic optic and we'd be one step closer to a good rear light. If a crafty CPF were to make a somewhat translucent plastic polymer case exactly the same shape and size as the Eos's, we'd tackle the side-ways visibility. (There are some plastic polymers that can be molded at home with relative ease.) What do y'all think? An attachment thingy-ma-jig would be an issue, though...

So many mods, so little time!

Last edited:

jch79

greenLED said:
Your post got me thinking, though... how about modding a PT Eos? A red Lux is pretty much a direct replacement. Plop in a wide-angle acrylic optic and we'd be one step closer to a good rear light. If a crafty CPF were to make a somewhat translucent plastic polymer case exactly the same shape and size as the Eos's, we'd tackle the side-ways visibility. (There are some plastic polymers that can be molded at home with relative ease.) What do y'all think? An attachment thingy-ma-jig would be an issue, though...
Wow - great idea! However, the strobe on the EOS is a little too slow for noticibility IMHO... I wonder how difficult it'd be to put a FluPIC or Piglet board in there?

Does anyone have the EOS bike mount that they can see how it rigs up to the vertical seat post? I'm assuming it'd be ok, however it's designed for the handlebar, and I don't know if it puts it on an angle that'd be weird for the bike post.

greenLED - I think you're on to something.

I bugged "Light & Motion" - an American-Made bike light company (www.bikelights.com) that makes some awesome HID lights & one LED, to see if they'd make a rear LED light, and their answer was:

"This is something our development team is looking into, however I would not expect to have one available for this upcoming light season."

So whatever that means!

:) john

jch79

I was looking at PT's website, and noticed that they also made the Aurora into a bike light... this has 3 LED's, and I wonder if it could somehow be modded to have them in chase mode.. ?

It's also a way more simple design than the EOS - so it'd be simpler to mold or even possibly machine? And the clear plastic covering the LED's already protrudes a bit from the body, which means side visibility is already there, however not as much as I would like, so perhaps a new window could be made?

One possible drawback of this light right now is that it has 5mm LED's, which would have to be swapped out for Cree XR-E's or Seoul P4's.

Just an idea! :shrug:

john

n_den

Newly Enlightened
i'll try to get some pics and vids of my project. the flupic sounds pretty good. how much? Vin/Max current? better yet, anyone point me where to go for more info, please. i know, do the search thing. typed flupic and there's too much to go thru. tia.

the idea about using existing housings has also crossed my mind. may be cheaper than trying to custom the whole thing.

n_den :)

ibcj

Enlightened
How ironic that I just found this thread. A few nights ago, my wife asks me to dig out her bike because she wants to go riding at 5am the next morning. I pull out the bike, but can't find a red blinky light for the bike. She is insistent on going, so I removed the headband off an old Petzl Tikka and used some zip ties to secure it to the underside of the seat. The swivel feature of the light was key, because I could adjust it to be visible. I wasn't crazy about her going riding with a white blinking light, but it was better than nothing. She made it back in one piece and said that the light was definitely slowing the cars down. Attached are some pics. It isn't pretty, but it got the job done. I too was thinking about modding my PT Eos with a red star.

Keep the ideas coming on this thread, they are very useful.

dsc0006ph2.jpg

dsc0007qi5.jpg

Nubo

Enlightened
greenLED said:
Another off-the shelf option is the CatEye TL-LD1100. It runs off 2AA's and has 10x5mm LED's pointing in all directions. :thinking:

But, back to the homemade stuff...

I have the LD1000, and it is seriously bright! I'd shied away from LED "blinkies" for a long time, preferring my old Vistalite strobe. But when the strobe finally started to weaken I found the LD1000 and am more than happy with it. It easily maintains high brightness for 10 hours on NiMH rechargeables, with both sets of LEDs in constant-on mode. Bright enough for me (I run a L&M HID headlight).

Timson

Enlightened
Nubo said:
I have the LD1000, and it is seriously bright! I'd shied away from LED "blinkies" for a long time, preferring my old Vistalite strobe. But when the strobe finally started to weaken I found the LD1000 and am more than happy with it. It easily maintains high brightness for 10 hours on NiMH rechargeables, with both sets of LEDs in constant-on mode. Bright enough for me (I run a L&M HID headlight).

Agreed - The LD1000 does the job admirably....A nice piece of kit.

Anything significantly brighter and you may find yourself attracting unwanted attention from the 'boys in blue'.....especially if its flashing (Not stricly legal in the UK)

Tim

Bandgap

Enlightened
jch79 said:
this has 3 LED's, and I wonder if it could somehow be modded to have them in chase mode.. ?
john

I am unsure about chase mode.
It is eye-catching from close up, but from far away it looks like continuous-mode unless there is some other modulation added.

How about sticking with flash mode which is more eye-catching from a distance (so long as you are happy with local legal issues on flashing bike lights). This distance could be miles with a light like you are planning.

And how about a continuous dim mode for when you are riding in a group.

I have a feeling that multiple effect modes are included to tempt people in the store with a more-is-better message.

Steve (not to be confused with the particularly knowledgeable Steve K)

n_den

Newly Enlightened
is the legal stuff due to the glare? the flashing? diffusing the source might be better.

here's a shot of what i'm working with. this thing can be seen from a long ways. it currently has 1 Lux III but can hold a maximum of 3. i have a video with the thing flashing, but my sony cybershot does something weird. when i play back the video the flashing is sometimes dim or sometimes the interval is short or too quick. but in real life it flashes steady. any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

diybikesignal2.jpg

i'm going to road test the thing later. comments, pls.

n_den :)

jch79

The video/flashling light problem happens due to them both being at different frames per second - the video being 15 or 30, while the light is probably 5 or so. At least that's what I think causes it. :shrug:
john

greenLED

Flashaholic
nystrpr said:
... I removed the headband off an old Petzl Tikka and used some zip ties to secure it to the underside of the seat. The swivel feature of the light was key, because I could adjust it to be visible.
That's a great idea! If you had those red filters for the Tikka, you'd be set. That's sort of what I'd be after with a modified Eos. If there are great headlamps available for $30, why are crappy bike blinkers priced equally? It simply doesn't make sense to me.

Nubo & Timson, thanks for your feedback on the LD1000; sounds promising - from what I've been reading it's about as bright as they get (for non-flashaholic standards, I guess). Are the domes on the LD1000 brittle or do they look like a softer type of plastic?

Just by coincidence I noticed a fellow in a lab downstairs has a Planet Bike BRT7. That one's supposed to have 220º "view", but I wasn't too impressed by the brightness (or, rather, dimness) of the LED's. Sure, it wasn't dark when I got to play with it, but I was expecting a little more brightness (nothing a LED-sectomy/transplant couldn't fix).

Aside from that, I like the casing; the clear dome doesn't look as brittle as the other blinkers I'm familiar with, the clip looks sturdy, and overall it looks like it'd take some abuse.

Bandgap, although I tend to use the chase mode I would be perfectly fine with a blinking pattern only. My Eos blinking matches the pattern on car turn signals. I think that's a good rate (1-2Hz?) when poiting forward, but a bit faster might be better (?).

n_den said:
is the legal stuff due to the glare? the flashing? diffusing the source might be better.
I'm fine with diffused lenses. Yeah, it may cut down on the throw, but the flashing would make up for it (I think), especially if it was a curved dome.

I don't know about glare or light intensity regulations. I know blue color is out of the question (reserved for police), but other than that red or amber/yellow would be fine (they had no issue about me using green when I asked). I've read comments about having to aim the Dinotte tail light correctly so it doesn't bug people coming from behind, and Europe has special regulations as to the intensity and strobing/flashing patterns (the LD1000 is built to those standards, AFAIK). I think having a wide-angle optic, and/or a diffused lens (or even a lightly sanded wide-angle optic) would cut down on the glare.

n_den said:
here's a shot of what i'm working with.

i'm going to road test the thing later. comments, pls.
That looks bright! Yeah, let us know how that goes. Judging by how far you've gotten so fast on the electronics, I don't think that would the greatest challenge of this project. How to design/find a suitable casing (especially a dome/window) for the light might be it instead.

Last edited:

jch79

greenLED said:
Maybe it's just me, but from what I see people doing on CPF (you guys are great!) I don't think the electronics would be much of a problem. My concern is how to design/find a suitable casing for the light.
+1 to that statement - the casing is key on this!

One thing that's important to me, as a hard-core commuter, I need some sort of quick-release... I can't leave a Tikka zip-tied to my bike - it'd be gone the first day my bike was out there.

For those of you who don't know:

TOP 10 WORST CITIES FOR BICYCLE THEFT:
1. New York, NY
2. San Francisco, CA
3. Chicago, IL
4. Washington, DC
5. Boston, MA
6. Eugene, OR
7. Philadelphia, PA
8. Oakland, CA
9. Seattle, WA
10. Miami, FL
Source: Kryptonite Lock

:) john

Timson

Enlightened
n den - Just read up on the legal issue (As far as the UK is concerned). It used to be that a flashing light was not allowed on the road....but as of 2005 it is OK to have flashing light on a bicycle - as long as it can emit over 4 candela!
Still, I can imagine some complaints from motorists if we are talking about a bunch of 190 Lumen R/O LuxIII's :naughty:

greenLED - The domes on the LD1000 are hard plastic

Tim.

Latest posts