flashing multiple Luxeon? (red Luxeon rear bike blinker)

ibcj

Enlightened
jch79 said:
+
One thing that's important to me, as a hard-core commuter, I need some sort of quick-release... I can't leave a Tikka zip-tied to my bike - it'd be gone the first day my bike was out there.

I'd recommend those thin velcro wraps that you can easily remove, but will be secure. I've seen them in Home Depot (hardware section), Walmart (craft section) or other craft stores. As long as you aren't mountain biking in the mud, they should work.

Doh!Nut

Newly Enlightened
Idea for flashing a Lux rear light.
The smallest / cheapest flasher I can think of is a flashing LED (not using the LED for actually lighting just using the flashing part.)

If I am correct when the LED is connected up to the batterypack (with appropriate resistors on the -ve side of the LED) the -ve lead of the LED will be Ov when the LED is not flashing.
When the LED flashes on the -ve side of the LED will be ??v (a positive value)

Can this be used with a transistor/switch etc. to turn on/off the power supply to the big bucktoot that is running the LUX ?

I think the logic works - but if any of the electrical guys can tell me why it wont work or suggest part numbers I would appreciate it.

Nick

n_den

Newly Enlightened
jch79 said:
The video/flashling light problem happens due to them both being at different frames per second - the video being 15 or 30, while the light is probably 5 or so. At least that's what I think causes it. :shrug:
john

thanks. i took out my sony digital handycam and the video looks good. now just need to find a place to upload. n_den :)

n_den

Newly Enlightened
greenLED said:
How to design/find a suitable casing (especially a dome/window) for the light might be it instead.

you're correct here. i've got three modules, battery pack, flashing/driver, led(s). here's the question. incase all three or keep them separate? replaceable parts or when broke just throw away? trying to figure out what is ideal. comments from bikers would be really great for this part. n_den :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
n_den said:
okay, i uploaded the file. you can check it out here. it'll take awhile to load. flashing demo
the quality is not that great but it's better than nothing. n_den :)
That is awesome, n_den!! The flashing rate is just right, and the brightness of the Lux is sure to make it noticeable.

Did I mention I bought a PlanetBike Superflash the other day? :grin2: I'm giving it a week or so of use before I can post a real review.

AndrewL

Newly Enlightened
I'd go for all enclosed if possible

At most you want a battery pack powering both front and back lights which each thing being quick to fit. I have a cateye runnign in chase mode with a load of reflective bands added to the daisy chains of my pack

will heat be problem if the LEDs are strobing and on a moving bike?

greenLED

Flashaholic
AndrewL said:
At most you want a battery pack...

will heat be problem if the LEDs are strobing and on a moving bike?
Heat issues? Highly unlikely. Seeing how people are running multiple LuxV's and are not having any issues, I can't see how a couple of blinking LuxIII's would be a problem.

I would really prefer a self-contained battery option. 2x123 maybe?

I posted here about possibly making a plastic mold/case, but by the replies I'm getting, it sounds like way over my head.

greenLED

Flashaholic
nightrider, based on your experience with multiple LED emitter bike lights, do you have any advise on a good enclosure for a project like this?

nightrider

Enlightened
greenLED said:
nightrider, based on your experience with multiple LED emitter bike lights, do you have any advise on a good enclosure for a project like this?
Uhmmm... one inch aluminum square tubing :)
You can build anything from bike lights to airplanes out of the stuff.

I'll have to think about it some more given the side angle requirement...

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
ok, not to hijack the thread, but this is very close along the lines on what i am needing. I am desiging a custom tail light for my motorcycle (got a new fender, so i have to) I was looking at using this flare optic. its 160x20 degs
http://www.l2optics.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=25

i am going to have 2 PWM circuts built in. I will have 2 sets of lux 1's. one set will consist of 6 and the second will consist of 9. I will have 2 POTs to adjust the PWM on the 6, both on run and brake. I will also have another POT on the 9 to adjust brake brightness. this way hopefully i can figure out the correct brightness with this optic, unless someone has some formulas...

n_den

Newly Enlightened
nightrider said:
Uhmmm... one inch aluminum square tubing :)
You can build anything from bike lights to airplanes out of the stuff.

I'll have to think about it some more given the side angle requirement...

great stuff, use it all over the place. for this thread project, the driver won't fit inside. :thumbsdow

i've got a pretty good working demo. just need to make it smaller.-n_den

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
n_den said:
any thoughts about mounting? where? do riders place the light. method? straps. secure hardware. which? used more commonly? consensus? n_den :)

in the motorcycle world, the higher the better... so as high as you physically can. i suggest right below the seat.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
greenLED said:
Is there 2" square tubing? :D
Quick search says yes!

http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/alum2.phtml?page=tube&LimAcc=$LimAcc

It's 6061 Aluminum... it comes up to 8" square tubing, which boasts a 1/2" thick wall... now that's some serious aluminum!

john

n_den

Newly Enlightened
okay, check this out. now this is a tail light. i have 2 main parts, the driver/lux III housing and the battery pack. i noticed that when using different types of batteries that the flashing rate & intensity differs slightly. i've used 4 AA & 4 AA rechargeables. i'm waiting for the mail to try 2 CR123 rechargeables. most likely the system will be comprised of 2 units, that way the rider can choose the type of batteries he/she wishes to use.

took this picture yesterday around 6:40pm. the red really stands out and is not blinding. i think the secret is to diffuse, to keep the light at/on the bike, not to throw away the light. the image is junk compared to what our eyes see. it's more bright and beautiful when seen real.

i'm working on a more appealing housing and mounting bracket. -n_den :)

bike-021.jpg