Flickering/PWM in new Fenix HL55

WhitedragonBC

Newly Enlightened
Has any distributor been confirmed as having the fixed version? This is holding me up from buying one.

bearbreeder

Newly Enlightened
Has any distributor been confirmed as having the fixed version? This is holding me up from buying one.

if yr in western canada drop notosora a line

they are the distributer for the region

they should have a pretty good idea

;)

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody bought a HL55 recently and got a sample without flickering on Low?

Remember this is not PWM. The thread title really needs to be updated. Certainly the initial batch had an unsteady output on Eco mode.

If only Fenix could confirm from which serial number the issue is resolved.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my HL55 today and I can't detect any flickering on low. So far I'm impressed with it: as reported by other users it's very comfortable and extremely light, especially when using CR123 batteries. I'm not sure how stable it fits for trail running on longish distances - when I test it, I'll post my experience.

donovanlai

Newly Enlightened
I bought a HL55 two months ago, it did have the unstable output on Eco mode, I checked with the CS, they said it was the first batch issue, so mailed it back to China Fenix, they replace and sent back a new one with the orange peel reflector, and now it's stable on every mode... btw it's a good choice for headlamp, can't go wrong with neutral white with 3hours++ run time, I hope it come with hidden moonlight mode as Lumintop HL01.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
I just received mine today and there is no flicker at all. This is quite an impressive headlamp. I've tried it with an 18650 and CR123A's and works fine. I'm really liking this light; it's very comfortable to wear also.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Szemhazai, I had sort of the same feeling but after checking specs of different headlamps I realized the Tikka RXP weighs 115 g while the HL55 with top strap and CR123 weighs 147. Without top strap and the top-strap holder, it goes down to 129 grams - only 14 grams more than Tikka RXP.

Anyway, I did tests running in the woods and bog on the hills with and without the top strap. As expected, without the top strap the light moves around a tad too much and so does the light ahead of you, especially when using a 18650. Now with the top strap attached the overall weight slightly increases but the light is much more stable and I found it to comfortable enough for running even with a 18650. With CR123 and without top strap it's not moving too much but it still moves around enough to become a nuisance. Now I only tested it for a couple of KMs as I wanted to put on the top strap and see how it worked with CR123 on longer distances but unfortunately I realized I had lost the top strap so I had no chance to see how well it works for trail running with both CR123s and the top strap.

My guess is that the HL55 on CR123 and with the headstrap will do just fine for running off road for 10, 20 and maybe even 30 Km.
Obviously until someone tests it for that purpose, it remains just a guess.

Other than that, for hiking at night the light works perfectly, is powerful enough, reasonably light, it is IP-X8, it has an impressive runtime - aside from wishing it had a red LED, I personally find this light has been very well and carefully designed.

Belated merry Christmas and happy new year! : )

Kueh

Newly Enlightened
Received mine today as a replacement hard hat light. I believe that it is a very good match for my PD32UE, in tint and brightness levels. Initial testing shows no pwn or flickering in ECO mode. I am using Sanyo 18650F 3400 unprotected cells in both lights.

I believe that I had read somewhere that pwn was attributed to an interaction between a light's circuits and the battery's protection circuit. Switching to unprotected cells seemed to have eliminated the problem.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received mine today as a replacement hard hat light. I believe that it is a very good match for my PD32UE, in tint and brightness levels. Initial testing shows no pwn or flickering in ECO mode. I am using Sanyo 18650F 3400 unprotected cells in both lights.

I believe that I had read somewhere that pwn was attributed to an interaction between a light's circuits and the battery's protection circuit. Switching to unprotected cells seemed to have eliminated the problem.

I can't see how that would happen as the protection circuit should be transparent unless tripped. I know that Fenix did update the HL55 and it was only the first batch that had flickering in Eco mode. If you have a later one, the protected/unprotected cell will make no difference.

However, despite my scepticism I'm going to try an unprotected cell in the flickering HL55 I have and see.

Edit: definitely not related to the cell. My HL55 flickers with an unprotected cell.

Last edited:

Kueh

Newly Enlightened
It was in a cell that used multiple 1650 cells, I believe.

Guess that I lucked out by waiting.

Problem with reading too much is that some facts may get mixed up.